The truth about the Loudness War

fill35U

I have seldom have  been debunked about the obsession for high wattage amps questioning me as to why I wanted such high wattage amps or a need for such loudness abilities.  I always offered my theory that depending on the amp and its build that high wattage didn't necessarily mean clean loudness.  I explained that the higher the wattage the amp the less you needed to turn the pre volume up and with it came cleaner sound and less distortion with lower pre drive settings.  I know that theory is argumentive, but that is what attitude I developed at a younger age in life and somehow it has followed me through my journey.  I'm not explaining it very well but there may be some that follow that trial of thought.  eusa_think.gif

I have seldom have  been debunked about the obsession for high wattage amps questioning me as to why I wanted such high wattage amps or a need for such loudness abilities.

Few on this site would argue the utility of power headroom! emteeth.gif But I'm pretty sure the Loudness War is just as valid with low-powered systems, including headphones. OTOH, it might have been driven, if indirectly, by the proliferation of low-powered, low-fi personal and portable sound systems used in less-than-ideal listening environments. 

I always offered my theory that depending on the amp and its build that high wattage didn't necessarily mean loudness.

Speaker sensitivity probably has the most to do with volume potential of  a system. Home hi-fi speakers might be as low as 85dB/W@1m, whereas serious pro speakers are better than 115dB these days. The home speakers would need 1000W to put out the volume the pro speakers could with 1W! But the Loudness War is really about prerecorded music...

I explained that the higher the wattage the amp the less you needed to turn the pre volume up and with it came cleaner sound and less distortion with lower pre drive settings.  I know that theory is argumentive, but that is what attitude I developed at a younger age in life and somehow it has followed me through my journey.  I'm not explaining it very well but there may be some that follow that trial of thought. 

The best practical place to control system volume is at the input of the amp. Slightly less-optimal choice is at the preamp's output to the amp. There are lots of articles on how to set up the gain stages in systems:

BTW, compressors and limiters can be fancy and fascinating, but there are "automatic volume controls" as well:

Useful for pro applications where you want to automatically cap the volume of the music, but allow speech (PA) between songs to be loud and intelligible.  

• Thank You 1