Favorite Quotes

RichP714

Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness. When change is absolute there remains no being to improve and no direction is set for possible improvement: and when experience is not retained, as among savages, infancy is perpetual. Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.  - George Santayana

What I hear is,...next time I need to change my CD player I will do my due diligence (join a forum) and arm myself with the experience of others to make an informed decision, ...and not purchase another MV-5.

It is a profoundly erroneous truism, repeated by all copy-books and by eminent people when they are making speeches, that we should cultivate the habit of thinking of what we are doing.

The precise opposite is the case.

Civilization advances by extending the number of important operations which we can perform without thinking about them. Operations of thought are like cavalry charges in a battle-they are strictly limited in number, they require fresh horses, and must only be made at decisive moments. --
  • Thank You 1

You can fool some of the people all the time, you can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all  the people all the time................   Abe Lincoln

“Evil isn’t the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it’s a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference.”

― Jim Butcher

Why can't we work out our differences? Why can't we work things out? Little people, why can't we all just get along?

President Dale - Mars Attacks !

Why can't we work out our differences? Why can't we work things out? Little people, why can't we all just get along?

President Dale - Mars Attacks !

"There is nothing like suspense and anxiety for barricading a human's mind against the Enemy. He wants men to be concerned with what they do; our business is to keep them thinking about what will happen to them." - C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

• 3 weeks later...

When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.

Ghandi

• 1 month later...
I think it is just terrible and disgusting how everyone has treated Lance Armstrong, especially after what he achieved, winning seven Tour de France races while on drugs. When I was on drugs, I couldn't even find my bike.  Willie Nelson
  • Thank You 5

• 7 months later...
Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence.

- Thomas Jefferson