Recommendations for Highest Quality Recording

SteveMKentucky

On 1812, the cannons really test the speakers. If anyone has Telarc's Gustav Holt's Planets, it is also an exquisite recording. Some of the Concertgebouw Telarc recordings are gems, for example Grieg's Piano Concerto in A (Horowitz, if I recall).

The canons blow my mind! excellent choice!

BarryG

• Thank You 1

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tricycle by Flim & the BBs (Jim Johnson, bass; Billy Barber, piano; Bill Berg, drums) has incredible dynamics.
(Be careful not to turn up the volume too much!)

"Flim and the BB's second album, Tricycle (for DMP Digital Music Products, an independent all-digital audiophile record label started by Tom Jung) was the first non-classical recording to be released in the new Compact Disc format. It was recorded on the new Mitsubishi X-80 digital audio recorder at Sound 80. The disc displayed the full dynamic range available in CDs, becoming a popular test disc for this reason. It was also the first jazz album to be recorded, mastered and delivered completely in the digital domain. The entire recording chain, after the first few feet of microphone cable from the musicians' instruments, remained in the digital domain until it was decoded by the consumer's CD player. DMP's releases were for the most part recorded directly to two-tracks as opposed to the more common multi-track method. This means that there was minimal use of overdubs and the majority of the music was performed, recorded and mixed "live" to the digital recorder." 

Another favorite is Jazz at the Pawnshop (Proprius Records) an excellent live recording of a small ensemble in a club setting.

"Jazz at the Pawnshop is a multi-session recording made by Gert Palmcrantz on December 6-7, 1976, at Jazzpuben Stampen (Pawnshop) in Stockholm, Sweden. A pawnshop had operated on the site prior to the jazz club. Proprius Records founder Jacob Boethius produced the album, and it has been issued at least five times under multiple labels and formats. The album is widely regarded by audiophiles as the best jazz recording of the 20th Century."
  • Thank You 1

On 1812, the cannons really test the speakers. If anyone has Telarc's Gustav Holt's Planets, it is also an exquisite recording. Some of the Concertgebouw Telarc recordings are gems, for example Grieg's Piano Concerto in A (Horowitz, if I recall).

PS: Just saw LVMan had already mentioned The Planets. Apologies, LVMan, if you also meant Gustav Holst's composition.

Telarc’s cannons   

Way back in 1978 the American audiophile record label , and for perhaps the first time the cannons were properly recorded.Telarc made a recording that can be truly regarded as legendary. Using then-new digital recording technology (although in the absence of a digital consumer format, the original release was on LP), Telarc captured Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture

On my CD version attention is drawn to this by:

WARNING!

The cannons of the Telarc Digital “1812” are recorded at a very high level. Lower levels are recommended for initial playback until a safe level can be determined for your equipment.

They were impressive indeed... This recording was universally well-received...

1812.gif 

So how loud were these cannons? As it happens, one of the blasts produces a 38 hertz tone that considerably exceeds the maximum recording level of a CD! How can this be? After all, all PCM-based digital recordings have hard numerical limits. Analogue signals are mapped onto a 16 bit space. There can be no value greater than 32,767 or less than -32,768.

The way to go louder than ±215 in a 16 bit format is to do a bit of heavy clipping. The signal is wound up so loud that the tops and bottoms of the wave forms are chopped off. Hi-fi types are against clipping, of course, because it introduces rather high levels of harmonic distortion into the signal, making it sound harsh.

1812-2.gifBut surely Telarc wouldn’t have clipped its signal. After all, it makes a point of avoiding signal processing as stated on the CD’s sleeve:

During the recording of the digital masters and the subsequent transfer to disc, the signal was not passed through any processing device (i.e., compression, limiting, or equalization) at any step during production.

I have no reason to disbelieve Telarc. So given the limited technology available in 1978, it’s likely that the whole balancing thing was done by ear. That there was clipping, though, cannot be in doubt. The screen shot above shows the first two-tenths of a second of the right channel of the first cannon blast (digitally ripped from the CD, so there are no equipment limitations imposed on the result). It was only for reasons of keeping the graphic legible that I cut off the other four clipped peaks from this blast. The left channel is virtually identical. Nearly all the 16 cannon blasts show some clipped peaks.

There is reason to believe that the clipping occurred earlier in the chain than in laying down the recording on CD... Capturing huge impulse signals is notoriously difficult. I once recorded a public fireworks display on DAT. Even though I was a couple of hundred metres from where the explosions were happening, I had to use the line input rather than the microphone input of the recorder to avoid clipping (later calculations suggested that there were instantaneous peaks of around 160dBSPL!)...

352cd9f923ba6aa7643dbb16842a5576?s=40&d=
  1. James says:

One bit of fun I had with the cannons (unsure of the recording it was my fathers) was to play it in my friends car. He had a Suzuki swift with no rear seats instead he had 6 x 12″ high end subs all running off amps capable of around 600 watts rms. We played the cannons at near full volume and it flexed the rear window and boomed out over the street, somone walking along the footpath spun around and ducked to the floor..."

http://hifi-writer.com/wpblog/?p=2504

PS: Just saw LVMan had already mentioned The Planets. Apologies, LVMan, if you also meant Gustav Holst's composition.

Holst_Planets_Jarvi_cd80743.jpg

Gustav HOLST(1874-1934)

The PlanetsOp. 32 (1914) [50:56]

Benjamin BRITTEN(1913-1976)

The Young Person’s Guide to the OrchestraOp. 34 (1946) [19:04]

redball7.gifCincinnati Symphony Orchestra; Paavo Järvi.

rec. Music Hall, Cincinnati, Ohio, 23–24 November 2008 (Holst); 22–23 January 2006 (Britten).

redball7.gifTELARC CD-80743[70:00)

"...Another favorite is Jazz at the Pawnshop (Proprius Records) an excellent live recording of a small ensemble in a club setting.

"Jazz at the Pawnshop is a multi-session recording made by Gert Palmcrantz on December 6-7, 1976, at Jazzpuben Stampen (Pawnshop) in Stockholm, Sweden. A pawnshop had operated on the site prior to the jazz club. Proprius Records founder Jacob Boethius produced the album, and it has been issued at least five times under multiple labels and formats. The album is widely regarded by audiophiles as the best jazz recording of the 20th Century."

"Jazz at the Pawnshop, released by Proprius in the late 1970s on two LPs, also became an audiophile classic. It was recorded with two Nagra recorders in Stockholm at the Stampen Jazz Club in December 1976 by Gert Palmcrantz, who used two microphones to capture the five musicians. He also captured ambience cues, the musicians talking, audience movements and whispers, the clinking of cutlery—even the sounds of another music session taking place downstairs. The LP and the hi-rez digital files best render the amazing sense of space Palmcrantz captured, as heard in "Limehouse Blues" and my favorite recording of solo vibraphone, "I'm Confessin'." Though now in its fourth decade, the album continues to sell over 4000 copies a year, and to be a standard test record for ambience, soundstaging, and upper-midrange values..."

Stereophile "Records To Die For" 2002

Proprius Records originally released a 180-gram, 2-LP vinyl recording (Prop 77778-79) in 1977.

PRLP7778.JPG 

• Audio CD (December 17, 1996)
  • Label: Proprius Records

Tricycle by Flim & the BBs (Jim Johnson, bass; Billy Barber, piano; Bill Berg, drums) has incredible dynamics.

"Flim and the BB's second album, Tricycle (for DMP Digital Music Products, an independent all-digital audiophile record label started by Tom Jung) was the first non-classical recording to be released in the new Compact Disc format. It was recorded on the new Mitsubishi X-80 digital audio recorder at Sound 80. The disc displayed the full dynamic range available in CDs, becoming a popular test disc for this reason. It was also the first jazz album to be recorded, mastered and delivered completely in the digital domain. The entire recording chain, after the first few feet of microphone cable from the musicians' instruments, remained in the digital domain until it was decoded by the consumer's CD player. DMP's releases were for the most part recorded directly to two-tracks as opposed to the more common multi-track method. This means that there was minimal use of overdubs and the majority of the music was performed, recorded and mixed "live" to the digital recorder." 

Another favorite is Jazz at the Pawnshop (Proprius Records) an excellent live recording of a small ensemble in a club setting.

Located a copy of Tricycle and bought it.  Found several copies of Jazz at the Pawnshop on ebay but man are those precious.  One seller is asking $125.00 

I used to have a Flim and the BB's album years ago.  I forgot about them until this post.  Thanks for the suggestion! 

...Found several copies of Jazz at the Pawnshop on ebay but man are those precious.  One seller is asking $125.00
The Japanese collectors editions sell for north of $400 but there are plenty of used original release copies for under $30.

Located a copy of Tricycle and bought it.  Found several copies of Jazz at the Pawnshop on ebay but man are those precious.  One seller is asking $125.00 

I used to have a Flim and the BB's album years ago.  I forgot about them until this post.  Thanks for the suggestion! 

I have not listened to Tricycle for years, I'll have to dig it out and give it a new listen  I think I have the first Flim & the BB's album too.  I'll have to put Jazz at the Pawnshop on my list of things to try to find at a reasonable price.

41Ne7yEwdaL._SX425_.jpg

Telarc Celebrating 25 Years: Classic Collect

Track Listings

Disc: 1
1. Igor Stravinsky: The Firebird Suite: Introduction and The Firebird and Her Dance
2. Gustav Holst: First Suite in E-flat major, Op. 28, No. 1: March
3. Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky: 1812 Overture, Op. 49 (excerpt)
4. Modest Moussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition: The Hut on Fowl's Legs and The Great Gate of Kiev
5. Georges Bizet: Carmen Suite No. 2: Danse Boheme
6. Camille Saint-Saens: Symphony No. 3 in C minor, Op. 78 "Organ," Mvt. 2 (excerpt)
7. Johann Sebastian Bach: Toccata and Fugue in D minor, BWV 565 (excerpt)
8. Ludwig van Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 5 in E-flat major, Op. 73, Mvt. 2 (excerpt)
9. Antonio Vivaldi: The Four Seasons: Presto from L'Estate (Summer), Op. 8, No. 2/RV 315
10. Aaron Copland: Fanfare for the Common Man
See all 20 tracks on this disc 
Disc: 2
1. Richard Strauss: Also sprach Zarathustra, Op. 30 (excerpt)
2. Sergei Rachmaninoff: Vespers (All-Night Vigil) - Mass for Unaccompanied Chorus: Bogoroditsye Devo, Raduisya (Rejoice, O Virgin)
3. Richard Wagner: Das Rheingold: Ride of the Valkyries (excerpt)
4. Giovanni Gabrieli: Canzon septimi toni No. 2
5. Elmer Bernstein: The Magnificent Seven
6. P.D.Q. Bach: Oedipus Tex (dramatic oratorio for soloists, chorus and orchestra), S.150. "Howdy there"
7. Mozart: The Magic Flute: Aria No. 17: "Ach, ich Fuhl's" from Act Two
8. George Frideric Handel: Messiah: No. 7. "And He shall purify" from Part One
9. William S. Gilbert: The Pirates of Penzance: No. 13: Song: "I am the very model of a modern Major-General" from Act One
10. Ottorino Respighi: Church Windows: St. Michael the Archangel
See all 20 tracks on this disc 

Product Details

• Audio CD (June 25, 2002)
  • Number of Discs: 2
  • Label: Telarc
  • ASIN: B00006879K

• Thank You 1

True confessions.....

My wife wanted to get the Ed Sheeran cd( the green one).....it wasnt in but the 2 disc 45rpm album was.
I bought it for her and sat down to listen to it a few weeks ago....thinking it would suk.

It doesnt, its quite well done.....

I've listened to it a lot the last few weeks......

I know....wtf? 

In the mid '90's dmp or, Digital Music Products, released a few music samplers in the "20" bit format. It was new at the time. We are way beyond that now.  One of their sampler catalog CD's has a recording of "Take Five"... It was taken from  the Joe Morello  CD, "Standard Time". Joe Morello was Dave Brubeck's drummer and Paul Desmond was the sax player that wrote the song. Joe Morello's version of Take Five will make you cry...trust me, If you are a Sax player, it will make you smile, if you are a drummer,...you'll learn from a true master. I am neither.

• Thank You 2

Frank Zappa "Ensemble Modern"; live performance, amazing soundstage and dynamics, G-Spot Tornado is a must-listen-to track.
Your avatar implies that you are biased. :)

LOL, It's a great track! It's ok to be biased when Zappa is concerned! I miss seeing him live! BarryG

In the mid '90's dmp or, Digital Music Products, released a few music samplers in the "20" bit format. It was new at the time. We are way beyond that now.  One of their sampler catalog CD's has a recording of "Take Five"... It was taken from  the Joe Morello  CD, "Standard Time". Joe Morello was Dave Brubeck's drummer and Paul Desmond was the sax player that wrote the song. Joe Morello's version of Take Five will make you cry...trust me, If you are a Sax player, it will make you smile, if you are a drummer,...you'll learn from a true master. I am neither.

If DaddyJT wants to create a second CS Reference disk set, this is very highly recommended to be included on it. I have a XR-metal recording which someone made for me. It is on a cassette tape.

The CD is currently unreasonably priced (at least for me)  - http://www.amazon.com/Morello-Standard-Time-Joe/dp/B000003DE9 

If DaddyJT wants to create a second CS Reference disk set, this is very highly recommended to be included on it. I have a XR-metal recording which someone made for me. It is on a cassette tape.

The CD is currently unreasonably priced (at least for me)  - http://www.amazon.com/Morello-Standard-Time-Joe/dp/B000003DE9 

Give it a listen,...turn it up very loud...and enjoy...
  • Thank You 1

Joe Morello - Drums

Greg Kogan - Piano

Ralph Lalama - Saxophone/Flute

Gary Mazzaroppi - Bass

[1] Paper Moon

[2] When You Wish Upon A Star

[3] One For Amos

[4] Take Five

[5] Bye Bye Blackbird

[6] Somewhere Over The Rainbow

[7] Someday My Prince Will Come

[8] In Your Own Sweet Way

[9] Alone Together

[10] Doxy

Joe Morello - Drums

Greg Kogan - Piano

Ralph Lalama - Saxophone/Flute

Gary Mazzaroppi - Bass

[1] Paper Moon

[2] When You Wish Upon A Star

[3] One For Amos

[4] Take Five

[5] Bye Bye Blackbird

[6] Somewhere Over The Rainbow

[7] Someday My Prince Will Come

[8] In Your Own Sweet Way

[9] Alone Together

[10] Doxy

That's it...Thank you for giving this gem a new life...
  • Thank You 1

DMP Digital Music Products

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
DMP Digital Music Products.tif
Founded 1983
Founder Tom Jung
Distributor(s) Telarc International Corporation
Genre Jazz
Country of origin US

DMP Digital Music Products was one of the first fully digital recording labels, generally specializing in jazz artists. Founded by engineer and digital recording pioneer Tom Jung after leaving Sound 80 recording studios in Minneapolis, its first releases in 1983 featured pianist Warren BernhardtJay Leonhart, and the group Flim & the BB's - which were the first non-classical recordings released on Compact Disc. Recordings on the DMP label are noted for their high level of sonic excellence. DMP was one of the few labels to release commercial DAT recordings, has been at the forefront of introducing numerous digital recording technologies, and has been a pioneer in the SACD digital audio format.

Notable artists who have recorded for the DMP label include Warren BernhardtJay LeonhartFlim & the BB'sLynne ArrialeJoe BeckAli RyersonChuck LoebJoe Morello and many other

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
DMP Digital Music Products.tif
Founded 1983
Founder Tom Jung
Distributor(s) Telarc International Corporation
Genre Jazz
Country of origin US

DMP Digital Music Products was one of the first fully digital recording labels, generally specializing in jazz artists. Founded by engineer and digital recording pioneer Tom Jung after leaving Sound 80 recording studios in Minneapolis, its first releases in 1983 featured pianist Warren BernhardtJay Leonhart, and the group Flim & the BB's - which were the first non-classical recordings released on Compact Disc. Recordings on the DMP label are noted for their high level of sonic excellence. DMP was one of the few labels to release commercial DAT recordings, has been at the forefront of introducing numerous digital recording technologies, and has been a pioneer in the SACD digital audio format.

Notable artists who have recorded for the DMP label include Warren BernhardtJay LeonhartFlim & the BB'sLynne ArrialeJoe BeckAli RyersonChuck LoebJoe Morello and many other

Thanks for this and to Staticvar for introducing this label.  Another group of recordings that I'm going to put on my list to acquire.

In a previous post someone (Dom?) recommended the Flim and the BB's recordings.  That brought back a flood of memories as I'd forgotten the group and their recordings.  I do remember listening to some of their CD's and being impressed with how clean, tight and detailed they were.  Can't wait to hear them again.

Please keep this going.  If it weren't so potentially expansive, I'd love to see a 'sticky' of sorts that is merely a list of the best audiophile recordings for reference.  In the mean-time, I'm going to assemble my own.

This may not be the highest quality recording, but the music is fabulous. 

Duke Ellington at Newport - Diminuendo in Blue and Crescendo in Blue - Paul Gonsalves' solo.