Carver system

Hi all, new here.
I have the c-1, m-1.5t and the dtl-100 driving boss 901 VI that I bought back in 1987. still have never heard a better sounding system until 15 years ago when the power switch blew on the c-1.
long story short. I just got all my equipment out of the attic to put in my listening room I custom built in my basement sized and shaped for the 901s, replaced the Alps tv-3 switch hooked it all up. Turned it on and SMASH!!! It sounded like a trainwreck. I have a new foam kit coming for the 18 drivers now.
Since my system is down again for now. Should I recap everything including the active EQ or just the c-1?
any help would be great 

Hey hambone. Welcome to the CarverSite!

So glad you found us.

That's a great system you got there. With some love and care, you should be able to nurse her back to health.

We have an amazing amount of wisdom and experience here to help you. We love ALL types of audio and particularly have a passion for anything Bob Carver related--phase linear, sunfire, LLC, etc.

Please post pics if you can using the insert image icon on your computer.

Welcome aboard the carver train my friend !

Welcome to the site! If it was me, I would recap everything then hook it back up. Since you are doing the speakers, why not the amps and enjoy another 20 years from your gear.......grin

Welcome to theCarversite, hambone! emsmile.gif 

IMHO your priority on recapping should be the M-1.5t. Power amps run hotter than anything else and their caps work harder (well, maybe with the exception of speaker crossover caps, but your Bose 901's don't have any crossovers). The power supply caps in the -1.5's are notorious for going bad, and I've seen several times where replacing the small caps make a difference. It's going to have to be done, better sooner than later. Zumbini has links to some great info HERE

It should be easy to replace the power supply caps in the C-1. There are several documented mods for the C-1, but you'll probably want to wait to try them until after you get everything else in your system tuned back to factory spec.

There are also just a few power supply caps in the EQ for your Bose 901's, but that unit runs cool and the caps are probably fine. Wouldn't hurt to pop the cover for a visual inspection, and of course cap replacement is also cheap and easy. 

I don't know anything about the DTL-100, but I can't imagine there would be many caps in there that would need changing? You'll want to do a belt change on it, though.

Please post a few pics of your setup! And good luck with the refurbishment! 
  • Thank You 1

Thanks for all the feedback,

i'll post some picks when it's all done and running and when my wife figures out how to. ( i'm a computer moron I don't know how )

even though this system was in it's original boxes, it was in a very hot attic ( I know, my bad ) it still looks brand new except for a little discoloration on a little spot on the C-1.

is there anyone who sells a cap kit or an upgrade kit, or would I have to buy these individually?

Thanks for not dogging me on my 901s I know a lot of people think there overrated. I love them.

theCarversite member circuitsandconcepts (Les) does business on eBay under the same name. He sells a kit for the most difficult caps on the M-1.5t HERE . 

I don't think anybody sells any of the other caps you'd need in a kit. You'll probably want to order from one of the major supply houses like Mouser or DigiKey. But if you can't figure out what you need from looking at what you've got, there's lots of info here on the site already. If you get stumped, feel free to ask! emsmile.gif

BTW, no worries about what brand of gear you prefer. We like all kinds of gear of all kinds of vintages here!  
  • Thank You 2

Howdy Hambone and welcome to the forum. Great to have you on board. Good luck reviving your audio system.

When you are ready to post pics try the Insert Image applet which allows you to upload photos as large as 14 MB.
20141030074404420.jpg 

From there you can insert a public link or browse to a file on your hard drive.
20141030074556509.jpg 

Once the file has uploaded click OK, then click INSERT.
20141030074939422.jpg 

If you plan to post a lot of photos we suggest you upload them to a public file host and post links to them. 
  • Thank You 2

Welcome, Hambone. 901s were my first "that's what I want someday" speaker; they were a trade-up from 501s. 901s, a Bose spatial receiver with the built-in EQ, and a turntable–that was a happy setup. Some members are original 901 owners like yourself. You will find posts & pictures in Search, including reference to a set used for DJ-ing at the party barn. Good luck on your projects!

Again, thanks to everyone for being so helpful and kind.
I just ordered the circuits and concepts 4 cap upgrade. It looks like a good way to get my feet wet into electronics again.
i'll try in the next few days to get some pics on here.
the reson I went with the bose and carver was that I had a very nice Yamaha system driving kef speakers. I thought it sounded great. Bose turned up at my base in england  showing off their new acustimas speakers. Not impressed. So they hooked up their 901s turned out the lights and played strawberry fields. It brought tears to my eyes. I didn't  feel like the Beatles were in front of me on stage playing, I felt like I was standing in the middle of the stage with the boys playing all around me. Mind you, I was 20 feet from the speakers. Talk about unbelievable.
when the song was over, the lights turned back on. I wiped the tears from my eyes and asked how much. While I was writing the check I asked what they were running the speakers with? They pulled a little panel off the wall, and there they were. A carver c-1 and a m-1.5t they said all bose had ever run for demos was those 2 pieces. After the 901s were loaded in my car I went AAFES and bought my  Carver. KEF is gone Yamaha gone.
sorry to bore you to death, but that's my story 
  • Thank You 2

"I thought it sounded great. Bose turned up at my base in england "

That's a great story Hambone. Don't apologize...we enjoy folk's audio journeys throughout the years.

Were you based at Mildenhall or Lakenheath? I have flown out of those bases more times than I can count.

So great to have you here. And yes, that sonic holography is still amazing to this day!