Carver Research Lightstar Reference direct preamp

Hello,

I am the owner of one of the few (100 or less pending who's telling the story) Carver Research Lightstar reference power amp dual monaural amps; and have been looking for the matching preamp for years. What are my chances?

Using a carver CT-17 preamp, sounds OK but wondering what the Active/Passive preamp would sound like with this amp.

Needless to say, the amp has tons of clean power & deep reach, driving seasoned Focal Electra 936's........

cheers,

theboy

The Lightstar preamps are just as rare and without the remote they are complete bricks. There are no manual controls and no repair parts available. I understand if you 'just gotta have the set,' but functionally there are better options out there.

The Lightstar preamps are just as rare and without the remote they are complete bricks. There are no manual controls and no repair parts available. I understand if you 'just gotta have the set,' but functionally there are better options out there.

Not quite factual.

There are remotes that can be programmed to operate the Lightstar Direct, although I don't know what make/model they are. James Sauter or Tom Zurcher might know or look on CarverAudio.com and search the threads for that information.

Congrats on acquiring the best SS amplifier Carver ever built.

The Lightstar Direct pre is quite fragile at this point in time. When(not if) the processor fails THEN it's a doorstop. There is NO repair. There are many other preamplifiers that can do the job but....THEY'RE NOT LIGHTSTAR. If you're hell-bent on finding one good luck and keep it away from Plasma televisions. Plasma TVs mess with the remote and I'm certain it caused one of my Lightstar processors to fail.

Best of luck!

ray 

• 2 weeks later...

Gents,

thanks for the follow up. I would agree, the unicorn is a bit much considering it isn't working....... I lost one on Ebay last year for $1100.....

Ray - you had suggested there may be more functional options. Are you thinking Carver?

the CT-17 is clean & nice; the remote typically from the early 90's design & functionality.....but works well, no issues.

the boy

Gents,

thanks for the follow up. I would agree, the unicorn is a bit much considering it isn't working....... I lost one on Ebay last year for $1100.....

Ray - you had suggested there may be more functional options. Are you thinking Carver?

the CT-17 is clean & nice; the remote typically from the early 90's design & functionality.....but works well, no issues.

the boy

The CT-17 is a great pre for casual use but no where near the sound quality of the Lightstar direct. I run a CT-17 myself in my bedroom system and enjoy having the remote function.