New guy just saying hello :-)

Hi all

Just wanted to say hello.

I heard the Carver amazing Loudspeaker first time in '88, and it was amazing.

Since then considered getting a set but it never happened until last week, where i picked up a set of original ALS.

They need some minor repair, but for a set of 30 year old speakers they look great.

Now i'll take a trip into the forum and find as much info i can about this speaker and probably also ask a lot of question, it looks like there's a lot of experience and know-how in here.

Looking forward to spent some time in here.

ALS.jpg.8b6d9288048c78d30ea72f73a700e574.jpg

Hey Carsten, soooo glad you found us (from Denmark no less!)...and a warm welcome to the CarverSite.

You have stumbled upon an amazing site as well as one of the best speakers ever produced, and with a little knowledge from the folks here, you will be able to enjoy them to their fullest.  I too own a pair of AL's (silver model) and that was the foundation with which I built my system around.  They have been singin' sweetly since 1990.  I did have a ribbon begin to buzz but we have a member here (SEA) who can help with that. ( AL ribbon repair )

Thank you for posting a pic so fast too!  I look at that picture like an artist looks at a blank canvas.  You have so many options to begin building a system around those fantastic works of art.  You are very fortunate.  

What horsepower will you be using and have you discovered sonic holography? 
Btw, we love ALL things audio (& vid) here with a passion of course for Carver related.  Ask away-- and again, welcome aboard the carver express! 

Image result for man catching bullet train

• Thank You 1

• Community Admin
Welcome Carsten.  We love pictures, and it's great to see how far the Carver reach is.  Just a few weeks ago, we had a new member join from Italy.  Glad you found these.  My first entry into Carver was in the mid 80's too, and it was just a year ago or so that I finally added a pair of Carver Amazings to my rig.

Let us know what you are driving these speakers with!  They LOVE power.  You will love them with power.

Please stick around and be a part of our community!  Lots of threads here on the Amazing speakers - and help if you need it if a repair is necessary.

Welcome! 

Welcome Carsten, the ALS are sure amazing! I'm glad you found us. A lot of good people and good information on Carver and other audio topics here! Sit back, relax, crank the volume, get a beverage, and hang out a while!

BarryG

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

I'm having a set of tube amps build for the speakers by a small Danish company and have talk to them about these speakers need for power :-)

Unfortunately a couple of the magnets has come loose in 2 of the ribbons (it seems that the foil is ok)

Is it possible to open the ribbon and replace the magnets without damaging anything?

Otherwise i need to have them repaired?

ALS2.thumb.jpg.3f127fee2f92d3bc92cbf8b39732d347.jpg

ALS4.thumb.jpg.5ebfb7f8a2a3b63ccad7a6cf0977a043.jpg

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

I'm having a set of tube amps build for the speakers by a small Danish company and have talk to them about these speakers need for power :-)

Unfortunately a couple of the magnets has come loose in 2 of the ribbons (it seems that the foil is ok)

Is it possible to open the ribbon and replace the magnets without damaging anything?

There are others that know far more than I. I have never owned a pair of the original ALS with 30 inch ribbons but I am told that they require a lot of power that is stable down to 4 ohms or even less. They have been referred to as "amp killers".

It is difficult to the point of almost impossible to open up a ribbon that has loose magnets without destroying the Kapton even with the right tools and jigs.