Stopping in to say hello!

I've just started looking into the M-1.0 amps and mods, as well as the  M-500t. Or even the M-1.5t, if there's any mods available for it. 

Take a look at the Carver MkII information.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! It's really appreciated.

Loner, I've been looking at that for the past few days already, and keeping an eye on amps for sale.  Thumb up

I've just started looking into the M-1.0 amps and mods, as well as the  M-500t. Or even the M-1.5t, if there's any mods available for it.
There isn't much to be gained power-wise from MKII'ing an M-1.5t unless you replace the tranny (mag field coil).
(The M-4.0t/TFM-4.0/42/45 and PM-1.5(a)/1200/1201 are basically M-1.5t's with larger trannies and more output devices.)

M-1.5t 
20150215190857217.jpg 

M-4.0t/TFM-4.0
20150215192302330.jpg 

TFM-42/45  
20150215192423520.jpg 

PM-1.5 (single fan)
20150215191419723.jpg 

PM-1.5a/PM-1200 (dual fans)
20150215191825646.jpg 

PM-1201 
20150215191542938.jpg
  • Thank You 3

Zumbini, thanks for that very visual post! 

I guess that explains a lot as to why the 1.5t doesn't get modded as much, if any versus the others. Then again, I wasn't looking at the 1.5t because of it being more powerful, but just because there seems to be a lot more of them available than the 1.0t or 500t.  

Then again, I wasn't looking at the 1.5t because of it being more powerful, but just because there seems to be a lot more of them available than the 1.0t or 500t.  

Are you interested in M500ts which are already MkII?  

Then again, I wasn't looking at the 1.5t because of it being more powerful, but just because there seems to be a lot more of them available than the 1.0t or 500t.  

Are you interested in M500ts which are already MkII?  

Most definitely I am.  

Welcome aboard Chops!

You've already been Zumbini'd and Loner-t'd. 
Tough acts to follow.... emwink.gif

Did anyone warn you that "interventions" and a multi-step program might be the result of hooking up with us lunatics?   
  • Thank You 1

From other posts on this forum there has been discussion about the M-1.5t being too bright sounding in comparison to the TFM-42/45/4.0. The PM 1.5 sounds different than the TFM-45, it's got a tighter bass sound that's good, but it's less musical overall. They share similarities in architecture, but sound different.

• Thank You 1

Welcome aboard Chops!

You've already been Zumbini'd and Loner-t'd. 
Tough acts to follow.... emwink.gif

Did anyone warn you that "interventions" and a multi-step program might be the result of hooking up with us lunatics?   

I have a feeling I'll manage.  Big Grin

From other posts on this forum there has been discussion about the M-1.5t being too bright sounding in comparison to the TFM-42/45/4.0. The PM 1.5 sounds different than the TFM-45, it's got a tighter bass sound that's good, but it's less musical overall. They share similarities in architecture, but sound different.

Some great info right there. Thanks for the heads up! Plus I've read the 1.5 (and the like) is harder to work on since it has those vertical daughter boards. 

Not sure about that; I don't think Wayne needed to remove boards/transistors/etc to re-cap my TFM-45's. I just got the second one back from him yesterday; full recap with new arrays of high rail caps on custom PCB's designed by Les @ Circuits and Concepts.

s-l1600.jpg
  • Thank You 1

....I've read the 1.5 (and the like) is harder to work on since it has those vertical daughter boards.

My first recap was an M-1.5t. I'm just an electronics hobbyist but I did not find it very difficult.
I removed the large filter caps to work on the power supply board
20110130080952475.jpg 

and stood the amp on one end to do the amp cards
20101231185127128.jpg

20110130080920838.jpg
  • Thank You 5

You guys were right... Lots of great information here!

As to what I said earlier, I was just going by what I read. But from what you guys have said, it sounds like I'd prefer the sound of the 500t and 1.0t amps, even if stock.

I'd still like to know how these old Carver amps sound like compared to new(er) amps of today. In the past few years, I've had a Monarchy Audio SM-70 Pro, Marsh MSD-a200s, Audio Research D130, a custom built, fully loaded Odyssey Audio Khartago Kismet, and this Wyred 4 Sound ST-250.

You see what amp I decided to keep.

So I've only been on this forum for roughly 5 or 6 days, and already this happened!

Already recapped, modded to MkII status, white LEDs, upgraded RCA's and binding posts, AND signed by Bob Carver! 

p2194732830-5.jpg 
I also got this little guy in today as well. It literally looks brand new! Not a single mark or finger print on it anywhere. Even the RCA jacks on the back look like they've never received a interconnect before! 

p2194732932-5.jpg 
  • Thank You 1

I too got into the crazy world of HI-Fidelity in a similar way. I don't remember what the system was but when I heard Pink Floyd's breath It felt like my own heart beating. Since then (I think in 1973) I have been obsessed with finding the perfect sound system. Most of today's equipment just doesn't stack up to the vintage units that are out there. Good luck and welcome to the forums

• Thank You 1

when I heard Pink Floyd's breath It felt like my own heart beating. Since then (I think in 1973) I have been obsessed with finding the perfect sound system.

That's pretty much how it happened with me, except 13 years later, and with a Genesis album, and specifically a song, Mama! Party!

Me too...Chops and abynormal.

...still remember being 13 years old standing outside at a swim meet near kids who were older than I.  Suddenly I heard helicopters and British accents screaming at kids....then a launch into P.F.'s 'The Wall' on a Sony boom box near me.  Gave me goosebumps.

I've been hooked up to the fine audio i.v. ever since.

Image result

• Thank You 1

• Community Admin

So I've only been on this forum for roughly 5 or 6 days, and already this happened!

Already recapped, modded to MkII status, white LEDs, upgraded RCA's and binding posts, AND signed by Bob Carver! 
[...] 
I also got this little guy in today as well. It literally looks brand new! Not a single mark or finger print on it anywhere. Even the RCA jacks on the back look like they've never received a interconnect before!

OCCD - It doesn't take much to get hooked.  You are in for the long run.  And, Nice C-9 - that unit is a lot of fun.

"Ain't it cool!"
20170204080109228.gif 

• Thank You 1