CARVER site! Mobile

Featured System                

Carver audio forum, free Carver manuals, Carver audio information, Carver audio repair, Carver specifications, Carver modification, Carver upgrade, Carver amplifiers, Carver amplifier, Carver amp, Carver home audio, Carver hifiNow Playing

NOW PLAYING: Hey Ocean! - IS
             Carver audio forum, free Carver manuals, Carver audio information, Carver audio repair, Carver specifications, Carver modification, Carver upgrade, Carver amplifiers, Carver amplifier, Carver amp, Carver home audio, Carver hifi
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Mastering Engineers Discus Cables
weitrhinoOffline
#12 Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 2:27:55 PM(UTC)

Send to facebookSend to DelisciousSend to StumbleuponDigg thisSend by emailSend to Addthis
weitrhino

Medals:
Senior: Black Pearl device for multiple award; senior memberSite Builder: Black Pearl device for multiple award; major contributor to the Carver site! community.Yin Yang: Black Pearl device for multiple award; participated in audio Karma
Cee-Bang!: donated to fund CARVER site! hostingFeatured: systemCarver modified: Carver mk II, or self-modified owner
Music: extensive, varied collectionGreeter: most welcoming to new members

Groups: Resident

Was thanked: 859 time(s) in 599 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 773 times

These comments by engineer 'Stereociti' caught my attention, among others.

"An important consideration when choosing [a cable] was how much noise each model added." 

Surely this is more a factor of connection methods than the actual cable materials. The thermal noise of a conductor is infinitesimally small, below -124dBm to -154dBm in the 20Hz-20kHz range, the ear cannot possibly hear it under any purposefully modulated signal. Stereociti could be much clearer about this.

Regarding choices aside from really poorly constructed cables "……I've come to believe that, in the end, it really doesn't matter. "

Go on...

"Of course, with affordably priced cables, there can be a tendency for things to sound harsh or soft depending on the model….." 

Oh hang on! I thought you said it doesn't really matter! My credibility meter is pinging especially when his comments devolve into a plug for his own cable business.

"…..it is rare that noise generated by a cable's poor signal-to-noise ratio leads to positive results" 

Piffle.

Granted a noisy cable won't yield positive results but again Stereociti does not address the actual cause of the noise. Earlier he suggests inherent noise differences between cables, such as thermal noise, but fails to mention connection methods. After two decades in broadband I can tell you the problem is always at a connection point, either where the internal conductor attaches to the connector or where the connector fits to the equipment.  

Main System:180 Tube Monoblocks, ALS Hybrid Plats, Oppo BDP-93, TD-1400, TX-11b, Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Control Center, C-9 Sonic Hologram Generator, Dual CS 505-1 turntable, Streaming iTunes through an Apple TV to a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100

Temp system: C-1, M500 MkII

[b]On loan: C-16 preamp

Blue Mouth Promotions LLC Where the music matters most!
1 user thanked weitrhino for this useful post.
Chops on 4/19/2017(UTC)
DaveStLOffline
#10 Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 6:23:07 PM(UTC)

Send to facebookSend to DelisciousSend to StumbleuponDigg thisSend by emailSend to Addthis

Medals:
Cee-Bang!: donated to fund CARVER site! hostingBill D modified: audio equipment owner

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 104 time(s) in 85 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 104 times

Originally Posted by: weitrhino Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: weitrhino Go to Quoted Post

"Even if we were to measure the traits of a cable using waveforms and the like, we probably would not find much difference." Yet we seem to notice audible differences when swapping cables. The reason, he points out, is due to a difference in transmission speeds. "A cable that sounds strong in the low frequencies is simply slowing the high range a little bit so that it can transmit low frequencies quickly. This is the same as when you have a kick, bass and snare playing at exactly the same time in a DAW but nudging one of them ahead by just one millisecond can vastly change how it sounds overall. This analogy might be the best way to grasp the differences between cables."

The above by engineer "Miyoshi" I find the most troubling of his statements.

The audio spectrum, say 20Hz-20kHz, is a very, very small slice of spectrum either audible or electromagnetic. When I was in broadband we frequently had the need to sweep test spools of coaxial cable from 500'-1000' at a time. These were cables intended to pass up to 1gHz in various gauges and we could easily predict signal loss based on the factors of gauge, frequency, and length. What I find to be hogwash with Miyoshi is the comparably very short cable distances of a meter or two at best coupled with the comparably low freqencies of audible sound limited to a very low amount of bandwidth. What Miyoshi is talking about is a concept called 'velocity of propagation' when he claims a cable that sounds "strong in the low frequencies" is actually slowing the transmission of higher frequencies. I'm calling BS. VOP is a characteristic of a cable that doesn't vary by frequency. It is not the same thing as signal loss. VOP is expressed as a (signal transmission speed) percentage as compared to the speed of light in a vacuum. At these speeds, in this short bandwith, constrained to such short distances......you ain't gonna hear that.

If the higher frequencies are being &#8220;slowed&#8221; as Miyoshi claims then we could easily construct a test of two tones, one high, one low, and assign them to be interrupted at precise short duration intervals. Then simply extend the playing time to several days and observe any variation in discontinuity between the intervals. Ain&#8217;t gonna be none. Miyoshi's analogy to adjusting an instrument to play just ahead of or behind the beat does not apply.

I thought he might be giving a corrupted description of group delay, which can be calculated vs. frequency based on the electrical properties.

Dave

--it's close enough for jazz....
oldtexasdogOffline
#13 Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2017 8:45:31 PM(UTC)

oldtexasdog

Medals:
Senior: Black Pearl device for multiple award; senior memberSamaritan: exemplifies the spirit of Rahu, dispositor of KarmaSite Builder: major contributor to the Carver site! community.
Yin Yang: Black Pearl device for multiple award; participated in audio KarmaCee-Bang!: donated to fund CARVER site! hostingFeatured: system
Carver modified: Carver mk II, or self-modified ownerBill D modified: audio equipment ownerDIY: master builder

Was thanked: 637 time(s) in 497 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 153 times

There was an articule somewhere I read where Bob was listening to a system and found that even tough it was SS it had a very "tube" like sound. Then he fouund where there was like a maybe 100' run of thin guage speaker cable behind the couch!
There are two holes in Daddy's head where all the money goes.
1 user thanked oldtexasdog for this useful post.
weitrhino on 4/20/2017(UTC)
weitrhinoOffline
#14 Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 3:35:01 PM(UTC)

weitrhino

Medals:
Senior: Black Pearl device for multiple award; senior memberSite Builder: Black Pearl device for multiple award; major contributor to the Carver site! community.Yin Yang: Black Pearl device for multiple award; participated in audio Karma
Cee-Bang!: donated to fund CARVER site! hostingFeatured: systemCarver modified: Carver mk II, or self-modified owner

Was thanked: 859 time(s) in 599 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 773 times

Originally Posted by: oldtexasdog Go to Quoted Post
There was an articule somewhere I read where Bob was listening to a system and found that even tough it was SS it had a very "tube" like sound. Then he fouund where there was like a maybe 100' run of thin guage speaker cable behind the couch!

That would be the result of DC resistance proportionate to the length of the cable. 
Main System:180 Tube Monoblocks, ALS Hybrid Plats, Oppo BDP-93, TD-1400, TX-11b, Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Control Center, C-9 Sonic Hologram Generator, Dual CS 505-1 turntable, Streaming iTunes through an Apple TV to a Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100

Temp system: C-1, M500 MkII

[b]On loan: C-16 preamp

Blue Mouth Promotions LLC Where the music matters most!
4krowOffline
#15 Posted: Friday, April 21, 2017 8:44:36 PM(UTC)

4krow

Medals:
Senior: memberSite Builder: major contributor to the Carver site! community.DIY: master builder

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 715 time(s) in 476 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 310 times

I just go for a standard of quality that holds together, yet doesn't have a death grip on the ground connection. It is the center signal connection that I pay attention to. I have become more lax with speaker cables in past years. The $85 per set for the Mapleshade single twisted pair works just fine. I also have some old Kimber kable that is easier to manipulate. Again, as long as there aren't oxidation issues, and De-oxit has been applied to the connectors, I am good to go.
Rss Feed Atom Feed