DBX encoded records?? Are these still around?

stevenlevel

Hey everyone, does anyone know what DBX encoder you use for the DBX encoded records that were released back in the early 80's?

My dad owned one and had about 10 DBX encoded LP's that boosted the Dynamic Range and I'm looking for the decoder I need to play these records.

It was a small DBX unit that was just  looped into the C-1 preamp  that now belongs to meBig Grin

You need a DBX decoder such as the DBX model 21 or a DBX model 22 stand-alone to do what you want. I use DBX encode/decode on my reel tapes and they sound exceptional however the encode/decode circuitry is embedded in the TEAC X1000R decks I use. DBX-encoded vinyl is still around but only on eBay have I actually seen any for sale.  Here's a brief how-to on how DBX works on a tape deck in case you were wondering....

DBX.01.jpg

DBX.02.jpg

• Thank You 1

You need a DBX decoder such as the DBX model 21 or a DBX model 22 stand-alone to do what you want. I use DBX encode/decode on my reel tapes and they sound exceptional however the encode/decode circuitry is embedded in the TEAC X1000R decks I use. DBX-encoded vinyl is still around but only on eBay have I actually seen any for sale.  Here's a brief how-to on how DBX works on a tape deck in case you were wondering....

DBX.01.jpg

DBX.02.jpg

Thanks for the posting I enjoyed the read. I had a Technics cassette deck that had Dolby B, Dolby C, and DBX and I loved it. I used the DBX setting most of the time, except when I was recording for use in a car or my Walkman II. I even used metal tapes back in the day when they were really expensive. 

I have just learned about the records being "DBX encoded".  I didn't realize they made them.  I am going to try them out.  I just bought a DBX 222 from Ebay for $29.00.  I have always had a Yamaha DBX cassette deck (K-2000) in the house and at one time had a DBX Alpine car stereo (mid 80's).  Never had an DBX standalone unit, until now.  I like the technology and it's another toy to play with.........grin
John 
  • Thank You 1

DBX Type II NR was used to encode about 1,100 titles between 1973 and 1982. (I own a few dozen of them.)
The result was stellar (IMHO) with a dynamic range approaching 110dB and a vanishingly low noise floor.
Jazz and classical LPs benefit the most but don't overlook Joe Jackson - Night & Day and The Police - Zenyatta Mondatta.

20150203095208558.jpg
  • Thank You 2

Here's a fairly complete list of DBX units that will decode DBX-encoded LPs:

DBX II Model 122
dbx_122_noise_reduction_system.jpg

DBX II Model 128 
DBX128A.jpg 

DBX Model 140 (barrier strip connections only)
dbx_140_noise_reduction_system.jpg

DBX Model 222
DBX_222.jpg 

DBX Model 224
dbx224.jpg 

DBX Model 224x
dbx224.jpg 

DBX Model 228
2785261893_a4d5606432_o.jpg 

DBX Model NX-40
nx40.jpg 

• Thank You 2

Thanks everyone. That last DBX NX-40 is found on Ebay for about $40. However, the records are harder to find.

I saw a few on Ebay that were actually priced very low, but the selection is very limited............ 

I have just learned about the records being "DBX encoded".  I didn't realize they made them.  I am going to try them out.  I just bought a DBX 222 from Ebay for $29.00.  I have always had a Yamaha DBX cassette deck (K-2000) in the house and at one time had a DBX Alpine car stereo (mid 80's).  Never had an DBX standalone unit, until now.  I like the technology and it's another toy to play with.........grin
John 

My thoughts exactly  Big Grin

• Community Admin
Holy crap..., I've been secretly collecting these...,Whistle  Anxious

Now the price will go up like Itch and LT have driven m500t prices...  Yikes  Brick wall  Big Grin  d'oh!

Lines are forming at record stores everywhere....,  (oh, wait, that might be for Record-Store-Day...)  Big Grin
20170422070922563.jpg