Good Vinyl Pressings

chiroacademy

Asian7 started a thread on DIdo's obscenely priced vinyl.  It is said to be a "super" pressing.  Not sure what that means but I do know that the quality of the pressing makes all the difference.  I have three MoFi pressings that I think are terrible. I have others that are outstanding.  reading that other thread there was mention of comparing different pressings of DSOTM and their different qualities. 

I would like to create a this thread to feature great pressings.

Roger Waters "Amused to Death"    Quality Records 2015 pressing is so good I can't stop listening to it.  The SH is the best of any vinyl I have. 

Please list specific pressings and dates that you find outstanding
  • Thank You 3

Man, I love the sound of my Amused to Death SACD, chiro.  I don't have the LP but the fact that it is recorded in Q sound by the engineers makes it very "spatial".  I'm sure the LP has the same effect (although I believe SH should be off when playing it). 

One of the best sounding pressings I own that goes head to head with just about any format is Fleetwood Mac's 45 rpm 180g Rumours album.  Jaw dropping sound.

Image result for fleetwood mac 45 rpm vinyl rumours

One of the worst MOFI recordings I own....
Tigerlily by Natalie Merchant.  Such a shame as it is one of my most played.

Image result for Natalie merchant tigerlily lp mofi

(Btw, I have not listened to the 45rpm MOFI version which may be an improvement) 

Linda Ronstadt with the Nelson Riddle original pressings are excellent and ones I use to test listen.

Mark Knopfler / Dire Straits re-release's.  Knofler even puts a sticker on the album jacket about sound quality

One of the poorest IMO is Ghrols Sound City.  Its no where the quality of the originals from SC: Fleetwood's, Petty's and on.  The docu he did is excellent and worth the watch on Netflix.  

Roger Waters "Amused to Death"    Quality Records 2015 pressing is so good I can't stop listening to it.  The SH is the best of any vinyl I have. 

Please list specific pressings and dates that you find outstanding

I added this to my list on Amazon.  

And a new place I have ordered quite a few of recent as a FYI  Vixen Vinyl

I have LPs from back when they were popular.

As to sound, the deal is a great record cleaner. Can records be pressed better than before? Is 180 gram a selling point?

I believe LPs can be better made now but are they - I think not.

It is likely I have collected more that move me than you as I am old. My collection is not flea market grab bag.

LPs are on the rise but remain a smaller part of the market.

Is the LP sound better than digital or is it just a gear thing?

Is that important?

I been playing records too long to stop now.

After my purchase of Amused to Death. I decided to order another pressing from Analogue Productions/Quality Records.

Cat Stevens "Tea for the Tillerman."

Once a again a superb pressing. Comparing it to my original pressing, the new version is a significant Sonic upgrade.

They used the original master tapes and the original Mastering notes. Quality Records used numerous advancements in cutting and pressing technology to create a better pressing than the original. "We gotten something quite a bit better than the original. This version is much more representative of what's on the tape. It sounds much richer and more natural. It sounds more correct."

There is a very nice insert included that give the entire story behind this pressing.

• Thank You 1

I received my copy yesterday, cool picture disc!  Its made its way through the ultrasonic cleaning I do with all before I play.  Hope to give it a listen this evening or tomorrow am.

Thanks for the recomendation

Cat Stevens    Tea for the Tillerman 

Analogue Productions    Quality Recordings

20170503062339296.jpg 

20170503062003594.jpg 

20170503061811888.jpg 

How do you get your photo's presented so large with the limit put on photo size?
I would be grateful if you took the time to explain it to me.
Thanks, Steve 

Cat Stevens Tea for the Tillerman
Analogue Productions Quality Recordings
20170503062339296.jpg
20170503062003594.jpg
20170503061811888.jpg
How do you get your photo's presented so large with the limit put on photo size?
Thanks, Steve

By complete accident. I usually send the pic from my phone to my laptop. Save it on my desktop. Download it to the post. I have no idea why they maybe larger than most

Thanks, Steve 
Instead of using the "Attach files to this post?" option try the Insert Image applet.
It allows you to link to public photos, or upload your own files as large as 14 MB.

20141030074404420.jpg 

From there you can insert a public link or browse to a file on your hard drive.
20141030074556509.jpg 

Once the file has uploaded click OK, then click INSERT.
20141030074939422.jpg 

If you plan to post a lot of photos we suggest you upload them to a public file host and post links to them.