Miles Davis Which record??

stevenlevel

I was looking for some Jazz and was given a list of good records. Thanks Guys!

However, Miles Davis "Kind Of Blue" comes with 2 different album covers for the 180 gram weight version and I don't know why? Why two different covers and two different prices??

Also one is $20 and one is $25 at Sound Stage Direct. 

If anyone knows of better places to buy vinyl online I'm interested in a different vendor that may have some LP's that S.S.D. does not have. 

miles_davis_kind_of_blue.jpg.1317cb75469c6af9e92f07bc4f5f642b.jpg

miles_davis_kind_of_blue_jazzimages.jpg.c47ce1fadb0ed0c3f33fdaa3c6fcdc23.jpg

I prefer stereo over mono.  Have you tried Discogs?

No but I'll check them out. Hey, do you know why there are two different records with two different front covers?

These are both in stereo as they sell the mono version for a different price that I did not put a photo up for as I prefer stereo as well

The cover on the left is the original cover, and it's the one I have. I've never seen the other cover before (the one on the right).

The second pic in your post is the gatefold option.

I personally prefer the original artwork myself.

In fact, the end of the following post (link below) shows the numbered blue vinyl remastered version which I gave to my son for his birthday this month. It sounds very good:

http://thecarversite.com/yetanotherforum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=29954&p=3

I prefer stereo over mono.  Have you tried Discogs?

No but I'll check them out. Hey, do you know why there are two different records with two different front covers?

These are both in stereo as they sell the mono version for a different price that I did not put a photo up for as I prefer stereo as well
The original 1959 Columbia release from the 3-track masters (available in mono and stereo) is my favorite version.
However, used copies sell for $100-150, and if you are used to "super" recordings you will probably be disappointed.

• Thank You 1

I spent the last few days listening to my Miles Davis recordings (about 50 titles) in chronological order.
Here are my favorites. (I suggest you check them out on YouTube before buying any.):

Birth of the Cool (Capitol, 1950) Davis' post-bebop nonet includes Kai Winding, JJ Johnson, Lee Konitz, Gerry Mulligan, Max Roach and Kenny Clarke.
Walkin' (Prestige, 1954) This recording featuring JJ Johnson, Lucky Thompson, Horace Silver, Percy Heath and Kenny Clarke ushers in the hard-bop jazz era.
Workin' (Prestige, 1956) More hard bop from Davis' classic quintet of John Coltrane, Red Garland, Philly Joe Jones and Paul Chambers.
'Round About Midnight (Columbia, 1956) Davis' classic quintet at its most sophisticated.
Miles Ahead (Columbia, 1957) A big band collaboration with arranger and friend Gil Evans.
Kind of Blue (Columbia,1959) Modal jazz with help from Coltrane, Cannonball Adderley and Bill Evans.
Sketches of Spain (Columbia, 1960) Another collaboration with Gil Evans that "pulsates with Iberian mystery and drama. Davis' solos sound torn straight from his gut".
Live at The Plugged Nickel (Columbia,1965) Davis with Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, and Tony Williams.
Miles Smiles (Columbia, 1966) Modal (avante-garde) jazz featuring the "Plugged Nickel" line up.
In A Silent Way (Columbia, 1969) Davis tip-toes into electronic jazz fusion with Shorter, Hancock and Williams plus Joe Zawinul and John McLaughlin.
Bitches Brew (Columbia, 1970) Legendary jazz/rock fusion and Davis' 1st certified "gold" album.
On The Corner (Columbia, 1972) Davis plays mainly organ on this recording of street funk with African and Indian rhythms and elements of hip-hop and dance/electronica. 
  • Thank You 2

Should I buy the 180 gram weight version or the colored vinyl version?

I was thinking the colored vinyl version might be closer to the original and it looks cool as well.

I'm looking for the 2 best from Miles Davis and "Birth Of Cool" and "Kind Of Blue" seem to be the easiest to find at good prices so far.

How about Diana Krall "All For You"? I'm trying to get male and female vocals if indeed they actually sing? 

Thanks Zumbini  I really appreciate you taking the time to type out this list. You guys rockThumb up

Should I buy the 180 gram weight version or the colored vinyl version? I was thinking the colored vinyl version might be closer to the original and it looks cool as well.
I'm probably the wrong person to ask since I rarely spend more than $5 for an LP. However, back in the days before Zack was born (when I had lots of disposable income 'sigh') I bought picture discs and colored vinyl as collectables. Some sounded as good as plain black LPs; some did not...

....I'm looking for the 2 best from Miles Davis and "Birth Of Cool" and "Kind Of Blue" seem to be the easiest to find at good prices so far....
Not surprising as those are his most well known recordings and often bought by folks as an intro to jazz. I suspect a fair percentage of 1st time buyers wind up not liking jazz for one reason or another and eventually sell them. 

...How about Diana Krall "All For You"?
I like it but I'm a Nat King Cole fan too. I also own Live In Paris which is excellent and highly recommended! 

• Thank You 1

"Should I buy the 180 gram weight version or the colored vinyl version? I was thinking the colored vinyl version might be closer to the original and it looks cool as well."

The numbered colored blue vinyl is 180 gram as well.

Sounds fantastic.

Try Bitches Brew as well. Really different from Kind of Blue. Phones

VERY DIFFERENT! Not sure if Steve is ready for that trip....

• Thank You 2

Try Bitches Brew as well. Really different from Kind of Blue. Phones

VERY DIFFERENT! Not sure if Steve is ready for that trip....

Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!
  • Thank You 2

Went with Miles Davis "Kind Of Blue" Simon and Garfunkel's "Greatest Hits" and Vivaldi "The Four Seasons" Direct To Disk pressing Cool

Jazz-Classic Rock & Classical perfection Thumb up $85 Total but 3 great new records now in my growing vinyl collection                                                                                Since I bought the Denon DL-103 I have listened to nothing but Vinyl.

Still can't figure out how to load photo's any larger than this one.... Hmm...................... 

miles_davis_kind_of_blue.jpg.b85c89a3653abf8f09577e21feb32429.jpg

• Thank You 1