Beatles 20th annivesery SGT. Peppers Lonley Hearts Club Band

oldtexasdog

I just got this LP today and thought I would give a review.
It seemed only right as the orginal I bought in 1997 was a LP the new one should be also.
The chain
Technics SL-1600 with a Denon DL110 cart
Bill D. C1
Rich P. silver IC's
Grant tube buffer
M-500t MKII
CF15 speakers on CF stands
Mirage 500Watt sub with IQ
The album was re-mastered by Giles Martin son of George Martin in stereo and 2 LP's (I will get to that later)
Nice sleeves and very nice explanations of the process of originating the album by Sir Paul His self.

First thing I did was put on side one song one. "It was twenty years ago today that Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play".
Dang!! It was twenty years ago today when this album was first realized! Got goose bumps but I digress as this is a review on the LP.
180gr vinyl no pops or scratches, dead quite.
Sgt. Pepper first cut was too full of bass until I adjusted the sub then it was right for the full album.
A Little help from my friends. OMG never heard it like this before. It was like they were harmonizing un-miked in front of me.
Susan walked in and said"that doesn't sound like the Beatles"
I said"you have always heard their voices and music over mixed"
Next song Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
Again the vocals are just like they are there in the room natural but every instrument is individual and has it's own place and space along with the vocal's being very clean.
Getting Better the same.

As a matter of fact the whole album is just like you are listening in a studio. Don't get me wrong the mix is smooth but the content is raw. You hear every little thing.
It is refreshing not to hear the same over mixed cuts.
I LIKE IT!!
Now to the second album. If you buy this release listen to it first, as it is the uncut studio sets, and takes,  much of it is without vocals but with the dialog that was happening in the studio. It gives you a real since of the journey it took to put it all together.
If lost I would buy this again. With or without Susan's approval.
35.18 Delivered

20170526164336941.jpg 

• Thank You 4

Yesterday I got an email from elusivedisc.com (a small hole in the wall place about 50 miles from me that sell audiophile albums, CD's and high dollar equipment) advertising a new Capitol release on 5/26 of The Beatles Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 180g 2LP.  Per the site it's a Capitol release, second LP is unreleased studio takes, but in their picture of the discs both are black, where one of yours is white.  Is this the one you have?

Mark 

No they are both black LP's in the pic one is still in it's sleeve. If your looking at a CD I don't know. I ordered about 4 months ago so I could have them on the annirversary date as it meant something to me. I had a best friend I grew up with and we got the first album on it's release date. He has since passed as all my friends I grew up with have, except 2emcrook.gif. They both have the lable "PARLOPHONE' on them. They are correct about the second album.

No they are both black LP's in the pic one is still in it's sleeve. If your looking at a CD I don't know. I ordered about 4 months ago so I could have them on the annirversary date as it meant something to me. I had a best friend I grew up with and we got the first album on it's release date. He has since passed as all my friends I grew up with have, except 2emcrook.gif. They both have the lable "PARLOPHONE' on them. They are correct about the second album.

I didn't realize it was still in the sleeve,  D-OH!  Looks like it's the same set.

Guess it's time for new glasses.

Mark 

Thanks Mark!

I enjoyed that. I played my sgt pepper reissue for my mom while riding on the car, she loved it until the crescendo in 'a day in the life' for some reason that drove her nuts!

I have all the beatle albums in the remixed boxed set in 180g; I wonder how it compares to this release!

Barryg

I remember this album back in 1967, my brother had it and it blew me away! I wish I knew when they made changes to the album! It seems that the sound of the original had a different mix than the one I bought in 1970 a few years later! The 1967 release had a capital label with a colorful band on outer edge of label, the later one had an Apple label!

BarryG