Music & Alzheimer Symptoms

dcl

Cue When I'm Sixty-Four on Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band & read on:
Take-home Points
• The largest study of its kind has provided the first evidence that the M&M [Music and Memory] individualized music program may help decrease antipsychotic and anxiolytic use, and improve behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia among long-stay nursing home residents with ADRD.
• M&M provides residents with listening devices like iPods and personalized music playlists based on their personal histories and music preferences.
• More research is needed to identify which individuals may benefit most from the program and the types of improvements they are likely to experience. 

• Thank You 4

One of my best friend's Mother-in-law had Alzheimer's and I used to question him as to what it was like and what one should expect. His answer has stayed with me for years.

"No matter how bad it is, no matter how ugly, it only gets worse. Much worse."

I can now attest to the wisdom of his comments as my Mom fought it for 11 years before finally passing. If any of you guys ever feel a need to talk about it, give me a shout. The challenges that lay ahead are significant and will test you like few other things in life.

• Thank You 1