C-1 and M 1.0t Refurb - The right Choice?

I was hoping I could get an opinion about having a C-1 and M 1.0t completely gone through / upgraded.  These were purchased about 6 months ago and really like how they sound, but have read in many places that they will blow you away once refurbished and upgraded by a qualified tech.

As this is a rather expensive endeavor for a casual, but appreciative, listener like myself, I was wondering if these are right Carver components to take the time to refurbish.  Or is there another combination I should consider.  This is my first run with Carver equipment, so I thought some informed opinions could possibly help avoid unnecessary mistakes.

I am currently driving two JBL 4412 studio monitors that have had the subwoofers repaired, but nothing else has been done to them.  My source material is either CD or Digital from my computer.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hi! And welcome to the forum! If these have never been serviced and you like the sound of the equipment AND you plan on keeping it, I would highly recommend it! You will probably notice an improvement in the sound of your music! There are good techs that can help with that or if you are inclined, you can do the work yourself. Let us know what you decide.......grin

Dadvw

• Thank You 1

In my opinion you can't go wrong with that Combo, I would BillD the C-1 and mkii the m-1.0t!

Where the BillD really shines is when using vinyl! I would probably upgrade the amp first, then do the BillD!

Enjoy that combo!

Barry

• Thank You 1

Thank you both for the advice and the welcome!

I'm not a DIY electronics guy so I figured finding a rockin tech would be the way to go. And yes, I plan on keeping the set. I like the amp more than anything I've used thus far (Yamaha, Halfer & Crown).

The C1 I'm still on the fence with. So the advice to get the amp done first is very helpful. As far as the BillD upgrade, where could I find a layman's description of the mod? Vinyl isn't really my thing. Don't get me wrong, I've listened to plenty of it, and some albums just don't sound the same otherwise, but CD and Digital are primary sources. Would the BillD still be the way to go?

Thanks again.

eaandh

Good luck researching! Imho the BillD C-1 is well worth the money, and is the best value for your money. To find equivalent sound quality in a pre amp , you would probably spend 2x or 3x as much!

Enjoy it my friend! I keep going back to mine after trying other gear!

I have a C-11 with a BillD mod by Dennis! I love it, I am currently using a Carver 900 reciever wile I make a few minor fixes on my C-11. I had distortion in my headphone amp! I will put my c-11 back in service when I get my top cover back from Kevin next week! He took it to Carverfest for the Bobfather to sign!

As always enjoy the music!

BarryG

Thanks Barry! I think you have sold me!

I know that there is vendor section here, but do you know of any shops in the Salt Lake City, UT area that specialize in this stuff?

There aren't any shops that really specialize in the BillD modifications or the MKII amplifier modifications. The quality technicians that perform these mods are located here on this website.

• Thank You 1

Howdy eaandh and welcome to the forum. Nice to have you on board.

...As far as the BillD upgrade, where could I find a layman's description of the mod? Vinyl isn't really my thing. Don't get me wrong, I've listened to plenty of it, and some albums just don't sound the same otherwise, but CD and Digital are primary sources. Would the BillD still be the way to go?

BillD-modified C-1/C-11's are neutral and black hole quiet making them a great choice for analog and digital sources. They are also very popular so the members who do the mods have fairly long waiting lists. I suggest you dive right in and decide what you want after you become more familiar with the options which I have outlined below.

The basic BillD upgrade is outlined in this placard from a C-11 modded by the late, great Bill Dibble himself):
20150919105100469.jpg 

After Bill passed away in January 2012 other CS techs pioneered additional "optional" modifications that include:
How far you take it is up to you (and your wallet emwink.gif).

Have fun and ENJOY THE MUSIC!  
  • Thank You 2

Thanks Zumbini! That for sure sold me on the BillD mod. The phrase "neutral black hole" pretty much says it all.

I'm looking forward to learning more!

And thank you again for the warm welcome.

• Community Admin
Welcome to the site.  There are super techs here, and others that just Enjoy the Music.  Regardless of your path to OCCD (our term for Obsessive Carver Collecting Disorder) all are welcome here to share their experience and contribute.

I can't add to all the great advice above - but to say "ditto" and "+1".

I have one system with a BillD C-1 and a MKIIopt2 M1.0t, which I call my "control system."  All other trials and experiments are compared with that set-up.  You will love it.

And FWIW, so will those JBL 4412 studio monitors !!  (that is until you pick up a pair of Carver Amazings, or the big brother JBLs... (it's a journey!).  Welcome to the community.

Oh, btw, invest in good shipping boxes - the techs here will send them back to you in the same boxes - worth picking up some double-layer FedEx boxes, and do the "double-box" thing, packing with solid styrofoam. 

Wecome! 

Welcome to the site.
You've got one of  the best combo's to modify.
On the home page the top right corner click on the green Carver Audio Service tab
It will give you a list of carver site techs and which equipment they repair, and mod/refurbish  send a few of them a PM (private message) to get an idea of what work you may want and a price range and how long of a waiting list they have
Being on a list will give a chance to get your funds together.
You will be thrilled with the results of the C-1 BillD mod and the M1.0t MKII mod.

What types of music and bands and or artists do you enjoy listening to? 

Enjoy the site and and the journey..............
Blues Pwr