What are the best sounding Simon&Garfunkul records?

stevenlevel

Just bought S&G "Greatest Hits" and it not only had uneven output but lots of noise during and in-between tracks.
It also had some really bad warp on side two that had me worried about my DL-103 cartridge. 

Each track was recorded at a different volume unlike any record or CD I own with lots of back ground noise to boot.

Are the two separate recordings: "Bookends" & "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" have a better overall sound to them? I don't mind buying both for $50 if indeed they will both sound better?

My dad had them both back in the late 70's and played them all the time. I recall these studio versions sounding really good unless that was just age related as I was only 11 or 12 years old. 

Try the 1980 CBS Mastersound pressing of "Bridge Over Troubled Waters".

R-2498619-1487784671-9934.jpeg.jpg 

Do you have any idea where I can buy a new copy of this 1/2 speed re-master? I have only seen the above mentioned records at Sound Stage Direct and I think they are re-mastered but not 1/2 speed's like this pictured version you posted. 

Try the 1980 CBS Mastersound pressing of "Bridge Over Troubled Waters".

R-2498619-1487784671-9934.jpeg.jpg 

Do you have any idea where I can buy a new copy of this 1/2 speed re-master? I have only seen the above mentioned records at Sound Stage Direct and I think they are re-mastered but not 1/2 speed's like this pictured version you posted. 

There's this new-fangled gadget called the internet....

O.K. but like I stated these are all used records and all the used LP's I have bought in the past at "Disk Replay" all sounded like crap. This was after about 3 hours of sorting thru about 500 records and picking the one's that looked the best.

Ended up with 3 playable records out of the 15 I bought for $40. Not worth the trouble unless I can get a new copy. 

O.K. but like I stated these are all used records and all the used LP's I have bought in the past at "Disk Replay" all sounded like crap. This was after about 3 hours of sorting thru about 500 records and picking the one's that looked the best.

Ended up with 3 playable records out of the 15 I bought for $40. Not worth the trouble unless I can get a new copy. 

Maybe you're cursed....

I haven't bought many NEW albums in the last 10 years. I hit yard sales and thrift stores and rarely pay more than $5.

Not all record pressings and created equal. Many new reissues sound worse then original first pressings. That's why I tend to hunt for original pressings. Many new pressings have been digitally remastered at some point. As for Simon and Garfunkel my original pressing sounds alright but it wasn't till Paul Simon went solo that the quality of recordings was really considered. Pick up a clean original pressing of Paul Simon's Greatest Hits the quality is superb. Good luck and keep hunting!

• Community Admin

Maybe you're cursed....

I haven't bought many NEW albums in the last 10 years. I hit yard sales and thrift stores and rarely pay more than $5.

I do the same, Z. 

Right now, I have 3 bins to go through that the lady just wanted out of her house..., garage sale deal of her and her father's collection of recognized and other not so recognized but interesting artists - many new to me, I'm guessing about 600 LPs.  Some LP's I want, others will become the property of Goodwill industries.  Oh, yes, and in these bins, there are a dozen S&G records, not yet evaluated...

One thing I don't do is donate ruined or damaged records. They go to the trash.

Some record stores Ultrasonic Clean their inventory before putting them out for sale.  I think that makes a huge difference in preparing a used record for successful play.  One record shop out of Rockford that shows up at more local record swap meets, and for $2 to $5, they have not let me down yet - I'm not sure if they u/s clean, or not.
  • Thank You 1

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe you're cursed....

I figured out why or what was causing all these bad new LP's They have a glue type gunk on them that cause the pops and it can be removed with a soft eye glasses type of cloth.

I also cleaned a few of the old records I bought from "Disk Replay" and 4 of them played back great after I cleaned them and used this cloth.

So the only bad luck is the quality control of a few of these new pressings not being cleaned properly before they ship them out. My copy of "The Wall" had this gunk on the second record and I was able to remove it and get it playing like it should. 

• 5 months later...

Simon & Garfunkel is one of my FAV artists. "Bookends", my favorite lp , all time! So, I own 4 versions. I bought a version at a church yard sale that is my current reference. An early Columbia sounds fantastic if your system is up to it?

A good cleaning is a must on all used records imho! If it's real dirty and I don't have an ultrasonic, I pull out the trusty wood glue! It does a great job!

All new records go through my spin clean!

After i cleaned my new Beatles boxed set , you would be amazed how much crap was at bottom of the tank!

Barry

• Thank You 1

Barry,

I'm glad you have a good relationship with wood glue on a vinyl record.

I'd never go that route!

Remember, with the Spin Clean, you need to use (their) fluid which has an additive that makes loose particles float to the bottom.

One more reason I prefer using a steamer!

You got me to go down and throw "Sounds of Silence" on my Beogram. It has a MMC2 cartridge, and what a joy to listen to. I picked up the album from a store here in St. Paul that cleans all their albums.(Agharta Records). Run through my C4000 and M500 it is sooooo nice to listen to. I could take a look and see if they have another sometime.
emsmiled.gif

• 4 months later...

Resurrecting an old thread...

Mobile Fidelity will be releasing Bridge Over Troubled Water, 45 RPM One Step in May.  Available for preorder from Music Direct here. $99.95.

Available for preorder from Amazon here.  $125.09

On 5/13/2017 at 6:16 PM, chiroacademy said:

I have Bridge over troubled water and the quality is poor. CBS lable 1971 pressing. Sounds poorly engineered

I hear you,  these were the days of record companies 10  for a dollar, if you buy 3 for full price.  My copy is as you say -  low fi!  

It was for the track Bridge,  that was the song on the outside grove side 2 that got the finger traffic.  :(  I did not even like any of the other tracks.  To the trash bin with this record.  I can get it on uTube if needed/or not.

On the good side it was placed next in my collection to Supertramp        Even In  The Quietest Momenents . . .     that made my day for Vinyl  over internet!

Thanks for that -  the entire Supertramp was awesome.  :)   A keeper for sure!

On 3/22/2018 at 2:21 PM, Sk1Bum said:

Resurrecting an old thread...

Mobile Fidelity will be releasing Bridge Over Troubled Water, 45 RPM One Step in May.  Available for preorder from Music Direct here. $99.95.

Based on my experience, pre-order from Music Direct.  Last year I pre-ordered MFSL's The Nightfly from a 'wholesale' online retailer (Elusive Disc), then a couple weeks later I pre-ordered one from Music Direct.  When it was released in October 2017 I got the one from Music Direct very quickly, about a week after release.  Several months went by without a word from Elusive Disc - in email communication they told me Mobile Fidelity had some supply issues and since they were a 'wholesale' business their pre-orders were filled after 'retail' orders (like from Music Direct).  I contacted Mobile Fidelity and they confirmed what Elusive Disc told me.  I also learned that Mobile Fidelity and Music Direct are 'sister' companies.

I had given up on getting the copy from Elusive Disc, but to my surprise it finally shipped on Jan 31, over 3 months after release.

I pre-ordered 2 copies of BOTW when it first showed up on Music Directs site.

Mark

2 hours ago, gold98gtp said:

I pre-ordered 2 copies of BOTW when it first showed up on Music Directs site.

I did the same.

12 hours ago, gold98gtp said:

It's hard for me to fathom how much people are willing to pay for an LP these days. Many of my original Blue Note releases from the 50's and 60's sell for north of $1,000 on eprey.

Not that I'm complaining. 10 years ago when I was in dire financial straits I sold off a dozen of them and made enough to cover my mortgage payments for a year!

Anybody interested in my early mono pressing of Dexter Gordon's 'Gettin' Around' (Blue Note 4204). There's one listed on the 'bay right now for $6,500 OBO. 8---