CARVER site! Mobile

Featured System                

Carver audio forum, free Carver manuals, Carver audio information, Carver audio repair, Carver specifications, Carver modification, Carver upgrade, Carver amplifiers, Carver amplifier, Carver amp, Carver home audio, Carver hifiNow Playing

Now Playing: Kraftwerk "Electric cafe"
             Carver audio forum, free Carver manuals, Carver audio information, Carver audio repair, Carver specifications, Carver modification, Carver upgrade, Carver amplifiers, Carver amplifier, Carver amp, Carver home audio, Carver hifi
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
What are these subs?
LakadianOffline
#1 Posted: Sunday, July 8, 2012 6:24:13 AM(UTC)

Send to facebookSend to DelisciousSend to StumbleuponDigg thisSend by emailSend to Addthis

Groups: Visitor

I just bought two subs from my local music store for $75.  Not each.  For both.  I bought it because I'm building a couple of 2x10 bass guitar cabinets and was going to use the speakers.  Then I decided to do a bit of research.  I don't have a pic available, but I'm trying to figure out what I have.  The control plate reads:

Bob Carver's  (this is actually in script)
SUNFIRE LABORATORIES
      PROFESSIONAL

I've searched pics online and other than the print it looks exactly like a "True Subwoofer Mk2" with a few exceptions.  The entire cab is coated with a rough, durable textured finish, the power cable is hardwired in and the most notable difference I've seen when compared to ANY pics I've been able to track down are the two diagonal bars that run corner to corner in front of the speakers on each side.  It has metal corner covers like you'd find on most pro-audio cabs or guitar cabs with a black finish.  The bars are actually welded to the opposing corners.  The weld is fantastic.  I know this sounds like a ridiculous observation to make, but it was actually one of the first things that tipped me that what I had was worth looking into.

So...  What do I have here, gents?  Is it old?  If so, how old?  Is it worth my while to sell the cabs and buy other 10's?  Do I now own two fantastic, if rather short, end tables?

I look forward to hearing your professional opinions.  Thanks for your time!

Sponsor

oldtexasdogOffline
#2 Posted: Sunday, July 8, 2012 8:55:25 AM(UTC)

Send to facebookSend to DelisciousSend to StumbleuponDigg thisSend by emailSend to Addthis
oldtexasdog

Medals:
Site Builder: major contributor to the Carver site! community.Yin Yang: Black Pearl device for multiple award; participated in audio KarmaCee-Bang!: donated to fund CARVER site! hosting
Featured: systemCarver modified: Carver mk II, or self-modified ownerBill D modified: audio equipment owner
DIY: master builderMusic: extensive, varied collection

Groups: Resident

Was thanked: 156 time(s) in 137 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 88 times

Welcome to the forum. A Pic would be very helpfull.
There are two holes in Daddy's head where all the money goes.
TNRabbitOffline
#3 Posted: Sunday, July 8, 2012 12:04:53 PM(UTC)

TNRabbit

Medals:
Senior: Black Pearl device for multiple award; senior memberYin-Yang: Participated in audio KarmaFeatured: system
Music: extensive, varied collection

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 342 time(s) in 259 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 172 times

Welcome!

I, too, am intrigued by what you've found. I've never heard of that particular configuration & would like to see pics.....
TNRabbit

My 5.1 & 2 Channel System:
Sunfire Theater Grand-IV Processor
Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 400~7 Amplifier
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1 Digital-to-Analog Converter
Sony Multi-Disc Player (SACD/DVD-A)
Active bi-amping via Ashly crossover & 2 Rane PEQ-15 Parametric EQs
Carver AL-III Main Speakers
Sunfire CRS-3C Center Speaker
Sunfire CRS-3 Surround Speakers
Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
"elgrau" wrote:
"You're a freak'in genius Herr Rabbit!"

"martin1970" wrote:
"Left to his own devices, Bob would probably build something that looked like a turd and sounded like the breath of angels."
weitrhinoOffline
#4 Posted: Sunday, July 8, 2012 1:50:37 PM(UTC)

weitrhino

Medals:
Senior: Black Pearl device for multiple award; senior memberYin Yang: Black Pearl device for multiple award; participated in audio KarmaCee-Bang!: donated to fund CARVER site! hosting
Featured: systemCarver modified: Carver mk II, or self-modified ownerMusic: extensive, varied collection

Groups: Resident, Search Party

Was thanked: 332 time(s) in 260 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 347 times

Main System:180 Tube Monoblocks, ALS Plats, Oppo BDP-93, TD-1400,
TX-11b, Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Preamp, C-9, Dual CS 505-1

Bedroom System: M500t, DTL-200, C-16, TX-11a

In Reserve: Sunfire Ultimate Receiver, M500 MkII, AV-634 (2), TD-1440

Blue Mouth Promotions LLC Where the music matters most!
SteveFordOffline
#5 Posted: Sunday, July 8, 2012 3:23:23 PM(UTC)

SteveFord

Medals:
Senior: Black Pearl device for multiple award; senior memberModerator: -Site Builder: Black Pearl device for multiple award; major contributor to the Carver site! community.
Yin Yang: Black Pearl device for multiple award; participated in audio KarmaFeatured: systemCarver modified: Black Pearl device for multiple award; Carver mk II, or self-modified owner
Bill D modified: audio equipment ownerJester: -Music: extensive, varied collection

Groups: Moderator

Was thanked: 351 time(s) in 277 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 14 times

That sounds like they were thinking about going into DJ gear, doesn't it?
Lots of old junk all over the place.
LakadianOffline
#6 Posted: Sunday, July 8, 2012 4:20:18 PM(UTC)

Perhaps now the thread is not "worthless" as you so eloquently suggested.  Sorry to have wasted your time thus far.  At any rate, does anyone have any suggestions now?  By they way, notice that some moron couldn't throw a drop cloth over one of them before apparently spray painting something and got overspray on both speaker and crossbar.
TNRabbitOffline
#7 Posted: Sunday, July 8, 2012 4:30:46 PM(UTC)

TNRabbit

Medals:
Senior: Black Pearl device for multiple award; senior memberYin-Yang: Participated in audio KarmaFeatured: system
Music: extensive, varied collection

Was thanked: 342 time(s) in 259 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 172 times

I don't think weitrhino intended any disrespect. That's a common way (across the entire internet) to goad someone into posting pics on something of interest.

You csan contact Sunfire (or perhaps Bill or Rita at Bob Carver Audio Repair) with the serial number & they should be able to give you the details.
TNRabbit

My 5.1 & 2 Channel System:
Sunfire Theater Grand-IV Processor
Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 400~7 Amplifier
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1 Digital-to-Analog Converter
Sony Multi-Disc Player (SACD/DVD-A)
Active bi-amping via Ashly crossover & 2 Rane PEQ-15 Parametric EQs
Carver AL-III Main Speakers
Sunfire CRS-3C Center Speaker
Sunfire CRS-3 Surround Speakers
Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
"elgrau" wrote:
"You're a freak'in genius Herr Rabbit!"

"martin1970" wrote:
"Left to his own devices, Bob would probably build something that looked like a turd and sounded like the breath of angels."
LakadianOffline
#8 Posted: Sunday, July 8, 2012 4:34:56 PM(UTC)

Oh, I know.  My feelings weren't hurt or anything.  lol  I was just poking.  sry
SteveFordOffline
#9 Posted: Sunday, July 8, 2012 4:35:58 PM(UTC)

SteveFord

Medals:
Senior: Black Pearl device for multiple award; senior memberModerator: -Site Builder: Black Pearl device for multiple award; major contributor to the Carver site! community.
Yin Yang: Black Pearl device for multiple award; participated in audio KarmaFeatured: systemCarver modified: Black Pearl device for multiple award; Carver mk II, or self-modified owner
Bill D modified: audio equipment ownerJester: -Music: extensive, varied collection

Groups: Moderator

Was thanked: 351 time(s) in 277 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 14 times

That's a new one on me - good find, though!
Lots of old junk all over the place.
DaveStLOffline
#10 Posted: Sunday, July 8, 2012 4:45:46 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Cee-Bang!: donated to fund CARVER site! hostingBill D modified: audio equipment owner

Was thanked: 59 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 58 times

Now that you mention it, these are on ebay right now:

Dave

--it's close enough for jazz....
Rss Feed Atom Feed