diy record cabinet

danowood

It's time to go out to the shop, knock some dust around and some webs, need a couple of record cabinets for daughter and I and since there was one similar to this one on one of the trends on here I decided to go that route. The shop is a mess, I don't use it a lot since my divorce 13 years ago, but once in awhile I trek out there just so I remember where the shop is and what’s there LOL.  About 4 moths ago I made a cabinet for my stereo stuff.   I told Gene I was about to embark on this and he wanted some pics of some of the tools I use. This is only my wood shop, and sorry, alot of them are tucked away in the lower cabinets with the doors closed. All my electrical, plumbing, auto body, auto tools are in the garage and construction tools in another building next to my shop. All the joinery is mostly complete and still need to make drawers for both cabinets. There will be a sliding drawer at bottom with storage like what’s on the top record section with another 5 to 6” drawer below the upper record section, for record inner sleeves and album jackets, record cleaning supplies, cartridges, ect.  The upper section should store about 100 CD’s and the record sections should store about 320 to 350 lps.  One of them is in dry fit to show you a little resemblance.  Backs haven’t been cut out yet.  Tomorrow I will stain around joint areas before glue up, this keeps glue from stopping the wood to take stain.   If all goes well they should be ready for lacquer spray mid next week.  Then put casters on, make the drawers, and back, stain, shoot those and then finish assembly.

• Thank You 3

Thanks guys.  It's a pigs sty, but do plan on cleanning it up and updating the lighting in it.  The Pannel saw was a great buy back in the day.  They were around 2 grand (1980) or so.  I bought it at a Federal auction and picked it up for 350.00 bucks.  The delta table saw was about 550.00 I believe.  It's indespensibe to me when cutting sheets of plywood.  I'll have more pics when it's near finished and then again when in service.

I eyed that panel saw too! Always wanted one, even to the point of trying to engineer one myself on the cheap. Never did....

Funny panel saw story:

I was in Lowes one day having some plywood cut down on their panel saw. Lowes, as seems to be practice of late, had hired yet another one of the finest those in need of a job, they could.

The guy sets things up, has me double check his measurements before he cut it. Seemed he had some trouble reading a tape.... Well makes the first cut, it was to be ripped down into multiple strips, 4, all the same width. I suggested he set the saw up where my desired width was cut from the bottom thus giving me 4 strips the same size. He agreed and did such.

So the first cut is fine he rips with the saw the correct way, feed the wood into the saw. Next one he said I'm just going to push it back through and make the next cut. I quickly speak up and say thats not a good idea, lets carry the sheet back around and feed it like we just did. Unfortunatly, he didnt agree with me this time and proceded to feed the sheet back wards into the saw.

Well, as expected it made a terrible noise, then bound up the saw blade, stalled the motor, tripped the breaker and required the manager to reset things AND get another sheet of plywood due to the bad cut.

At least no one got hurt :)

• 4 weeks later...
Well finally completed record cabinet(s) project.  Between the cold weather the snow I finally finished.  I always grade my projects when done, (thats something a perfectionist does) but over the years I developed an attitude, it is what it is and move on LOL.  I gave it a C+.  The upper shelves are for cd's can store about 150 of them.  The upper lp storage section and then below it is a drawer which stores record sleeves, album covers, record cleaning supplies, cartridge matanence and misc. material.  With in the drawer compartment is a slide out shelf for cleaning your records on.  The lower lp storage bin is a slide out drawer compartment. The unit will hold 350 to 400 lps.  I saw this unit on one of the forums and decided to beef it up and step it up to something more to my taste.  It is also on casters so it can be moved around except on carpet.  Just updated the pics on my photo bucket so they automatically included then in the above pics on the posts.  To me it really was a PITA project, especially the drawers.  Hope it may give some of you some ideas and you can improve on it.eusa_think.gif

Very nice!!!  That's a great design for a record cabinet, and your workmanship is beautiful!  eusa_clap.gif  I really like the lower sliding record bins as well as the CD shelves and drawer.  Did you design it yourself, or are plans available somewhere?

Here's a pic of what I had to go by for concept.  I added my own touches, such as sliding drawer for lower compartment for easier access, the drawer for cleaning supplies etc. and the slide out shelf to place your record on when cleaning.  Also the added cd shelves was a part of the upgrade I intended. If your interested I can pm measurements etc.   Thanks for all the generous coments, it really wasn't that nice of job, but it is sutiable for the purpose.  I made it from most scraps and lumber I had sitting around, but still with hardware and finish material it still was about 400 bucks for 2 of them.

tumblr_lqnxqgSAxX1qfvhw3.png

Thanks Dano.  The plans for the basic one you used for the concept are what I have been thinking about building.  Found them somewhere, but don't remember where.  The improvements you added make it perfect!  I'd be very grateful for the PM of the measurements etc. you mentioned.  Thanks for the offer emteeth.gif

• Thank You 1