CARVER site! Mobile

Featured System                

Carver audio forum, free Carver manuals, Carver audio information, Carver audio repair, Carver specifications, Carver modification, Carver upgrade, Carver amplifiers, Carver amplifier, Carver amp, Carver home audio, Carver hifiNow Playing

Now Playing: Peter Gabriel "Security"
             Carver audio forum, free Carver manuals, Carver audio information, Carver audio repair, Carver specifications, Carver modification, Carver upgrade, Carver amplifiers, Carver amplifier, Carver amp, Carver home audio, Carver hifi
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages123>»
HOLY 5hi7 - My 300x2 just made a loud rumbling noise...
monte3xOffline
#1 Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2010 10:14:12 PM(UTC)

Send to facebookSend to DelisciousSend to StumbleuponDigg thisSend by emailSend to Addthis
monte3x

Medals:
Site Builder: major contributor to the Carver site! community.Tunesmith: master sleuth

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 4 times

...and then exploded and died!  

The stereo wasn't even playing, and as far as I can tell there was no power spike or anything else unusual that occurred.  I wasn't in the room but my wife said she saw "an explosive flash" light the joule meter up.  I am devastated to say the least....

Anyone have any idea of what may have happened?  Transformer explode? I honestly haven't a clue.  There is no burning smell and the unit was cold to the touch.

I have the unit unplugged now, although it appears there is no power even in the unit as the joule meter was reading zero and the lights were out.

This is just killing me.... 
Sponsor

SteveFordOffline
#2 Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 4:09:32 AM(UTC)

Send to facebookSend to DelisciousSend to StumbleuponDigg thisSend by emailSend to Addthis
SteveFord

Medals:
Senior: Black Pearl device for multiple award; senior memberModerator: -Site Builder: Black Pearl device for multiple award; major contributor to the Carver site! community.
Yin Yang: Black Pearl device for multiple award; participated in audio KarmaFeatured: systemCarver modified: Black Pearl device for multiple award; Carver mk II, or self-modified owner
Bill D modified: audio equipment ownerJester: -Music: extensive, varied collection

Groups: Moderator

Was thanked: 406 time(s) in 306 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 14 times

No idea what it was  but sorry to hear it.
Lots of old junk all over the place.
TNRabbitOffline
#3 Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 5:34:08 AM(UTC)

TNRabbit

Medals:
Senior: Black Pearl device for multiple award; senior memberYin-Yang: Participated in audio KarmaFeatured: system
Music: extensive, varied collection

Was thanked: 359 time(s) in 271 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 179 times

DAMN~

Was the rumbling from the speakers or the unit itself?

Have you checked the fuse?
TNRabbit

My 5.1 & 2 Channel System:
Sunfire Theater Grand-IV Processor
Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 400~7 Amplifier
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1 Digital-to-Analog Converter
Sony Multi-Disc Player (SACD/DVD-A)
Active bi-amping via Ashly crossover & 2 Rane PEQ-15 Parametric EQs
Carver AL-III Main Speakers
Sunfire CRS-3C Center Speaker
Sunfire CRS-3 Surround Speakers
Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
"elgrau" wrote:
"You're a freak'in genius Herr Rabbit!"

"martin1970" wrote:
"Left to his own devices, Bob would probably build something that looked like a turd and sounded like the breath of angels."
BalokOffline
#5 Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 6:05:19 AM(UTC)

Balok

Medals:
Senior: Black Pearl device for multiple award; senior memberModerator: -Site Builder: Black Pearl device for multiple award; major contributor to the Carver site! community.
Yin-Yang: Participated in audio KarmaCee-Bang!: donated to fund CARVER site! hostingFeatured: system
Carver modified: Carver mk II, or self-modified ownerDIY: master builderTunesmith: master sleuth
Jester: -Music: extensive, varied collection

Groups: Resident, Moderator

Was thanked: 171 time(s) in 124 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 72 times

Sorry to hear this news, monte3x.  When you say it wasn't playing, do you mean that it is was in standby with no source on or the unit was completely off? I think your only option is to call Rita (unless it is under warranty)
"ALL THINGS MUST PASS"
monte3xOffline
#4 Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 8:56:42 AM(UTC)

monte3x

Medals:
Site Builder: major contributor to the Carver site! community.Tunesmith: master sleuth

TNRabbit wrote:
DAMN~

Was the rumbling from the speakers or the unit itself?

Have you checked the fuse?

I was not in the room when it happened, but my wife said that the sound came from the amp itself.  I haven't checked the fuse yet, but don't have much hope that that is the issue based on what happened.  I'm going to pull the unit out of the stack when I get off work today. 

Balok - There is no power button on the 300x2 so it is always powered on.  The amp was idle as there was no music playing.  There was no load on it at all.  

This one just has me stumped.  Not to mention really bummed out....

RichP714Offline
#6 Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 9:43:43 AM(UTC)

RichP714

Medals:
Yin Yang: Black Pearl device for multiple award; participated in audio KarmaZeroPointe: Black Pearl device for multiple award; audio tools ownerBill D modified: audio equipment owner

Groups: Dev, Retired

Was thanked: 1050 time(s) in 632 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 441 times

horrible news; fuses CAN make a dramatic flash when they blow; lets hope it was just that.
Enjoy!

-
------http://zeropointe.thecarversite.com----------------------http://carvermk2.com---------------

monte3xOffline
#7 Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 4:29:31 PM(UTC)

monte3x

Medals:

sounds like a possibility that I may be well and truly porked on this one.  

as soon as box arrives am sending to Rita's and keeping fingers crossed. the lack of burnt odors or smoke leaves room for optimism.

going to hook up TFM 35x and test AR9's when I get home.  hoping like hell for no driver damage on those or this nightmare will get way worse.... 

still can't for the life of me figure out what happened.  everything was fine.  amp sounded super yesterday. no storms yesterday.  no discernible power surge. 
BalokOffline
#8 Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 5:26:55 PM(UTC)

Balok

Medals:
Yin-Yang: Participated in audio KarmaCee-Bang!: donated to fund CARVER site! hostingFeatured: system
Carver modified: Carver mk II, or self-modified ownerDIY: master builderTunesmith: master sleuth
Jester: -Music: extensive, varied collection

Groups: Resident, Moderator

Was thanked: 171 time(s) in 124 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 72 times

..... you have angered the amplifier gods......

Fortunately, you are close to the Carver/Sunfire home base.
"ALL THINGS MUST PASS"
snowOffline
#9 Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 5:56:30 PM(UTC)

snow

Medals:

Groups: Resident

Was thanked: 273 time(s) in 158 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 150 times

Geez sorry to hear that. I would pull the top off first to see if it is simply a fuse before packing it off to Rita  though. If it was a cap that vented it will cause the fuse to blow but will make a hell of a stink that you will never forget at least that has been my experirence I had two 33.000 uf caps vent they made a hissing sound followed by the power going out in the amp  and the house filled with a white cloud of acrid smoke.

REGARDS SNOW
monte3xOffline
#10 Posted: Friday, February 26, 2010 6:55:51 PM(UTC)

monte3x

Medals:

the plot thickens for the worse, along with my disposition...

so i went home and pulled the power amp out, swapped in the TFM 35x, hooked the Sunfire pre to the TFM, hooked the speakers back up and turned the system back on.  it sounded like 5hi7....

so I turned it down again... 

...only to get a really nasty burnt smell out of the Sunfire Tube processor.  No smoke or anything -- just that nasty acid burnt electronics smell.  

unplugged everything again and am sitting here just seething.  not only do I have a dead power amp but it smells like it probably took my pre-amp out with it.  Either that or something in the pre went amiss and caused the power amp to short out.  Either way both Sunfire units are borked.

The strangest part of all of this is that last night when the power amp went there was no smell at all out of either unit.  just a quick but pronounced rumbling noise and then a flash/pop that my wife says she could see through the window to the joule meter.  i can't make heads or tails of what happened here, but I guess it doesn't matter.  time to bring the old silverface back down I guess.

Rss Feed Atom Feed