Vinyl Collection

mrbert62

Greetings from Sunny Buffalo, NY emsmiled.gif

I now have 6 months under my belt with my Carver TFM-22 and C1 Preamp driving my original Cerwin Vega At-15's. They have never sounded better to my ears and I love the life breathed into my old classic collection of vinyl and tapes.I do enjoy CD's and digital but find myself going back to the vinyl classics. I have not had to buy a turntable in 35 years and now find myself in that position. I am budgeting $300 - $400 for the purchase. Any recommendations for my setup? 

An entry level Pro-Ject table.  I have 4 tables and my entry level Pro-Ject RPM 1.3 $350 from ebay. After a little tweaking (cartridge ortofon super 20. isolation pads, a granite slab,...) and some set up attention, it sounds nearly as good as a Lynn which I have about $6500 invested.

I have several TT's for sale. I have a Rega Planar 2, A BIC, A JVC and an Empire 398. Prices range from $100.00 to $500.00. The Rega Planar 2 fits nicely into your budget. $350.00 with a new-ish belt and new stylus on an Audio Technica Cartridge. Includes proper packing and shipping to Buffalo, NY. The Empire is just over, at $550, with shipping. The BIC and JVC can be had for under $200 each, including shipping. All have new belts and styli.

• Thank You 1

I had an old JVC turntable that was damaged in storage and not useable. I have not had a TT hooked up to the new Carver setup. 

The C1 has two sets of phono inputs and I am not familiar with the 2nd type. The manual notes there is a moving magnet phono cartridge and moving coil phono cartridge.  I want to make sure I get a TT that will work well with the C1.  There is also also a small connector in the moving coil sort of like an outlet protector. I am trying to upload pictures but get a file too large error.

I had an old JVC turntable that was damaged in storage and not useable. I have not had a TT hooked up to the new Carver setup. 

The C1 has two sets of phono inputs and I am not familiar with the 2nd type. The manual notes there is a moving magnet phono cartridge and moving coil phono cartridge.  I want to make sure I get a TT that will work well with the C1.  There is also also a small connector in the moving coil sort of like an outlet protector. I am trying to upload pictures but get a file too large error.
What model JVC? I have a JVC parts TT. If you still have it.
The moving coil cartridges have a much lower signal voltage and need additional amplification over moving magnet, which are much more common. The switch below is for matching the cartridge electrically. You put it in the center, if it sounds good, leave it, if it sounds a little muddy, try one of the other two positions, use whichever sounds best. There's a more technical way to set itm, but that works for 99.9% of users. 

Look for a high quality vintage linear tracking table. I have a H/K ST-7, with a Pickering XV-15/625 stylus. I'll put it up to the Pepsi Challenge any day; it sounds better than my B&O Beogram TX linear table. I like the B&O table but cartridge/styli for them are a nightmare since they are not standard mounts. Pioneer also made some really nice LT tables like the PX-3.

With the linear tracking tables they require knowing how to work on mechanical issues if they need it, but the sound is just amazing because there is no channel imbalance/distortion due to changes in stylus alignment with the groove. Sonic Holography works perfectly (and in some cases intensely) across the whole record, not just in the 'sweet spot' of a standard tonearm design.

C'mon you guys, this thread is just an attempt to seduce me back into vinyl. I grit my teeth knowing what I am missing.
I feel the same seduction 4krow. I remember when CDs came out. The lack of clicks and pops along with the dynamic range made vinyl seem obsolete. Looking back, the best turntable system I have ever heard was not good by the standards we talk about here on CS. I don't miss the clicks and pops but the fact that vinyl still exist makes me curious about how a good turntable would sound with the Carver system vs CD. With so many vinyl fans here, there must be something I missed with the low quality equipment I had as a kid. Tempted to try it again.