Help with Carver HR-742

Hello,

I was given this receiver years ago.  It came along with an amp.  I noticed years ago that I was able
to connect speaker directly to the receiver as well, but when I attempted to do so I get no sound.  I did notice
that when I turned on the receiver the screen flashes Pre - On.  This seems like its only acting
as a pre-amp and not both a pre-amp and receiver.  Is there anyway I can utilize this receiver as
both a pre-amp and a receiver so that I can connect speakers directly to it?  

Any help anyone gives me on this will be greatly appreciated.  

Check the back of the unit.  There will be jacks that say "pre out" and "main in" or something similar to that.  those need to be connected with pins or short rca interconnect cables.  See area circled red in picture below.  My guess is that is your problem.

20151109201143312.jpg 
  • Thank You 2

Howdy Jamel and welcome to the forum.

Before you dump it, or have it serviced, please confirm that the pre-out/main-in jumpers are in place as Balok suggested. 
If you don't have the original u-shaped metal jumpers, a short pair of RCA cables will work equally well.
20151110091942254.jpg 

If you need to drive an amp too, replace the jumpers with dual male to single female Y-adapter cables.
03181a.jpg 

He!! yea Balok !!! Thank you so much for that tip. I bought a HR-752 to use for my tv entertainment setup for 25 bucks off craigslist as not working...turns out your little tip right there get her working!!! Im so pumped and thankful dude!!!

Thanx again Bob