Sunfire Ultimate Receiver II as poweramp?

Im looking into using the UR-II as power upgrade via the 8 CH input. I wish to Biamp my speakers (b&w matrix 803 s2)with 2 x 200w. Pr. Side/ speaker.

My plan is using a more modern HDMI receiver as controller, and the Sunfire urII as power AMP.

Would this Work?

(Sure hope so :)

Thougts:

Wish pure signal, but pure direct mode is 2ch. Only?

8ch. Input is also sort of pure, described as a "short analog Path"..

Will auto on Work, and should I use a preset of Max volume, or what? ( audio out signal from other receiver is not fixed, but follow that first HDMI-receivers general volume level)

(Its a weakish onkyo tx-sr 805)

I Think I should split the phono audio output from the onkyo ( rca/ phono ) to double to input cables to the needed 4 desired power channels - instead of the 2 outputs L/R.?

Will this halve signal strength? Can I just turn the Sunfire up?or let onkyo auto correct via mic test and then bypass dsp via direct mode afterwards for pure Sunfire bliss?

Thanks in advance

Hoping for advice / correction/ confirmation of the above.

Offcourse_dk26. /. Johannes - Denmark

Welcome to the site Johannes, I'm sure someone with more Sunfire experience will be along to help soon, although what you want to do seems reasonable and doable, good luck.

Hey Offcourse_dk26.

Denmark. Very cool! So happy u found the CarverSite!

I wish I had the expertise to answer that question. My 7x400 Sig C. Grand is a beast but it only powers my surrounds and atmos. Never used it in your desired configuration.

However, we have experts here who certainly know if your sunfire receiver can be wired the way u want, and if so--how (in addition to any pitfalls). I can say that is a heck of a load to keep up with. If it works out, plz post PICS!!!

Awesome to have u on board my german friend.

Thx for reply.

I'm asking since another guy had problems with connecting the sunfire UR2 to another receiver via the 8ch inputs.

So specifically I wish to send front speaker signal out to use 4 amps to biamp the B&W, and then use two channels more for rears, and the last channel for the center speaker.

My last rear center in the 6.1 setup can run from the Onkyo.

My Sub is the Sunfire signature 12" eq.

Rest is b&w- either 800 series matrix our newer 600 series rear side and center.

Hoping to get even more oomph and iron control, slam and power.

Regards

Johannes

The ultimate receiver can't be used as a separate power amp in the traditional way because there are no external jumpers to separate the pre and power amp sections.  If you use an external preamp into the 8 channel input of the sunfire, you are basically connecting a preamp into another preamp.

What MAY work is this:  (and we should get conformation from others first)

Connect the external preamp to the sunfire 8 channel input as desired.  Turn the Sunfire volume to absolute minimum.  Turn the external preamp volume to maybe half volume.  Play some music and very slowly turn the Sunfire volume up until you hit the volume you want.  Then, leave the Sunfire volume at that setting and don't touch it.  Use the external preamp volume control to do all volume adjustments.  That MAY work.

I have an URll and I just use the TV to switch HDMI.  The TV has 4 or 5 inputs.  Then I use the digital/analog inputs of the Sunfire for sound.  Its a little more tedious but it works for me.

• Thank You 2

Ideas and info regarding splitting signal to front speakers?Will a Y splitter be best, but with a lower signal level, or does the UR2 line out follow the input so I can input from there to another two amp sections directly via the 8ch input.. From where the front l/r input is then used as line out source on the fly. What about levels and speed of signal etc?

Level settings volume wise?, And perhaps sound mode when planning to (?)/use the 8ch analogue input sets

Thx in advance

Johannes

I'm so happy.

Got the setup working,as described, using the multi channel phono line out from my Onkyo hdmi-capable receiver to the far superior amp section on the Sunfire UR-II via its 8ch analog input section.

The 8ch. Input is used, and I have tuned the sound output levels so that the old receiver powering the side channels only is in line with the sunfire driving the rest of the speakers- via my trusty radio shack sound level db meter.

I have even tuned the setup so that signal level out to the sunfire is offset -10to -12db, set in the hdmi receiver, so as to gain the maximum possible output level wise headroom overall.
When the Onkyo only drives the side channels, it might be able to follow the Sunfire driving the other speakers  via 6 amp sections. (6.1Setup, biamping the main L + R stereo speakers using 4 amp channels).
The channels run from the onkyo receiver is sent as phono signal at a relative lower level, and the sunfire boosts the real output via its own volume.
Thus I gain more headroom by using the superior amp power from Sunfire to the maximum potential...EEspecially driving a direct stereo signal I hope to gain max level and quality.
(And the onkyo I hope can follow in SS, driving only two medium B&W 600-series speakers..)

(The more the signal can be amplified, starting low at phono line level, the more space to the top level - output wise, via 2x200w. pr side for the main speakers. And I think the sunfire far surpasses my onkyo, no matter the more than10db signal level difference :)

This way I hope to get a maximum sound pressure level in stereo .. that's probably as high as I dare drive the old trusty B&Ws.

Thanks for the help guys.

Johannes