hello

Hello everyone I'm new to this site so please forgive me if I screw up on things. I never really joined a forum before. I've read allot of things on this forum and decided it's time to finally join in. I bought a used Carver C-1 way back in the late 80's and never really took the time to set up my speakers (to lazy I guess). I went the surround sound way and blah blah blah anyway I got back into the 2 channel system again and I'm lovin it. first I tried tubes amp and preamp then found it wasn't powerful enough to drive my speakers so bought a new and more powerful SS amp. reconnected the C-1 and placed the speakers the way they're supposed to be and the sound was great in SH and will continue using it till the end. Now I think it's time for a recap job and was wondering if there is some sort of kit or something to buy. sorry for rambling on.
thanks 

Welcome Abynormal, 

You asked about recapping your C1.  It's rather easy and cheap to do.   I recapped mine in 2009... here't a link to my C1 Recap post.  The parts list hasn't been updated so not sure if all caps shown are still available.  

If you use a turntable you might want to consider going the full Monty and doing a "Bill D" mod on your C1.  It's a much more extensive refurb and takes a C1 to a whole new level of performance.  If you search the forum you will find the Bill D mod here. 

Thanks Jazzman53, Greate pics, yes I just got back into vinyl again. looks like allot of work. Iv'e never really worked on electronics before so I would have to find someone that can do it for me. I just bought a service manual for it but just too chicken to try on my own.

Howdy Abynormal and welcome to the forum. Nice to have you on board.

Please tell us more about yourself and your equipment, and post some photos so we don't have to beg you. face20.gif  

In the spirit of the late, great William Dibble, several of our techs perform his mods for little more than the cost of parts.
That keeps them very, very busy so I suggest you get on someone's schedule as soon as possible.

Welcome to the site! A wealth of info is found throughout these threads! I have been here a while, but still learning as I read!

The C1 is an awesome preamp and the Bobfather recommends them for even his tube amps!

Enjoy your stay, Kik off your shoes, get a nice beverage, crank the volume and let the tunes roll!

As always enjoy the music!

Barryg

Thanks Jazzman53, Greate pics, yes I just got back into vinyl again. looks like allot of work. Iv'e never really worked on electronics before so I would have to find someone that can do it for me. I just bought a service manual for it but just too chicken to try on my own.

A simple recap is not much work -- if you can use a soldering iron, you could recap a C1 in an afternoon.  All the caps are identified on the board-- you need only remember that the long lead goes thru the (+) hole.   

Welcome. I agree with everything that's been said about the C1. I have had my hands on two. The first one I let go to a member here. I recently managed to get another. I used it for the first time last week to test and compare 2 different pwr amps. For it being so old/vintage I was impressed with the sound quality. It truly has a WOW factor. Now, like you I plan to upgrade it (caps at a minimum). It is hard to believe it can sound better than it does now, but I want to see (or should I say hear).

You've joined an awesome group of people here. Trust us, you'll buy and seek other Carver pieces and time passes. 

Thanks for all the welcomes, sorry for the long delay Iv'e been very busy the last few days and haven't really been able to enjoy the music or anything for that matter. I promise I will post some pictures once my living room gets picked up a little. I have been going through all these pre-amps I've acquired over the years and finally decided to stay with the C-1. My wife thinks I'm crazy coz Iv'e gone through so many. every time I keep saying this will be the last one. hehe she knows me better now and just rolls her eyes when I say it. Heating up some tea right now so I can listen to some tunes.

Here are the components that i'm using now:

Rega RP-1 TT

Sony 300 disc cd/dvd player (soon to change to a better cd player)

Carver C-1 preamp

No promises, but I may be able to take your C1 on in the near future. I have three units now that must pass the test before I ship them off. That always seems to be no big deal UNTIL one does not pass. Round and round we go after that.

• Thank You 3