Time For A New Reference Disc?

kve777

I'm(finally) putting all my CD's on my cloud. Tonight I found my Reference Disc 2014. I had put it in a safe place. 
Anyway, it's been a while and there's been a lot of good music out since then. Let's try to pick a dozen or so songs from 2014-2017, maybe new groups like XX or new music by old(or passed) artists we've loved for years. In fact, let's just go with artists we lost in 2016. Bowie, Cohen, Prince... I think we can come up with a dozen call it "In Memoriam, 2016" I want to nominate "I Can't Give Everything Away" from 'Blackstar', possibly first or last. Fitting last song, actually.

Who wants to do the compiling and burning of the discs? I won't do a great job and it will take forever... 

Can I nominate SRV's Tin Pan Alley and Bowie's Under Pressure (with Freddie Mercury - a BOGO deal)?

George Michael may not be to everyone's taste, but I like him, too. 

Can I nominate SRV's Tin Pan Alley and Bowie's Under Pressure (with Freddie Mercury - a BOGO deal)?

Do we want to just do 2016 deaths? I'd like to, just because we lost so many. Leonard Cohen's "You want it Darker" would be a great addition. 

Do we want to just do 2016 deaths? I'd like to, just because we lost so many. Leonard Cohen's "You want it Darker" would be a great addition. 

Two projects would be better than one. face20.gif. Emerson's Piano Concerto #1 is also very nice (and I am biased). 

If I knew or had the tracks everyone comes up with I would compile the disc. However, I know about 95% of the tracks everyone comes up with I will be unfamiliar with.

I could load Apple Loseless to a dropbox of my suggested material. It is very much worth the effort. 

• Thank You 1

Can I nominate SRV's Tin Pan Alley and Bowie's Under Pressure (with Freddie Mercury - a BOGO deal)?  Yes or Gipsy Wife....

or Lenard's  Gypsy's Wife

Maybe it could be a 2 disc set. One disc of songs from the artists who passed away in 2016, but also a second disc more in the spirit of the last project where the focus is on sound quality.

• Thank You 1

If I knew or had the tracks everyone comes up with I would compile the disc. However, I know about 95% of the tracks everyone comes up with I will be unfamiliar with.

I could load Apple Loseless to a dropbox of my suggested material. It is very much worth the effort. 

That may work. 

In memory of Sir George Martin (3 January 1926 – 8 March 2016), The Pepperland Suite from In My Life. Originally on Yellow Submarine soundtrack, this arrangement of the melodic theme has a dramatic, muscular symphonic midsection and splendid sound. It can stand itself aside from the film.
3114A9PSP8L.jpg 
  • Thank You 1

A new disc is an awesome idea. I have used the 2014 disc extensively and even downloaded the files to burn myself a backup copy.

I'd like to recommend for the remembrance disc Toccata (An Adaption of Ginastera's '1st Piano Concerto, 4th
Movement; Live 1974; 2016 - Remaster)
 from Welcome Back my friends... because it showcases some of Keith Emerson's best synth work in a progressive piece produced by Greg Lake. I love the way Carl Palmer's percussion and Emerson's synth work together on this cut - but then, that's what ELP was all about.

For the "sound quality" disc, consider Flim & the BB's Thunder And Birdies from Tricycle. 
  • Thank You 1

I somehow missed the announcement that Stanley "Buckwheat Zydeco" Doral passed in September 2016.
I saw him play live many times at Fitzgerald's Tavern in Berwyn, IL, about 15 minutes from where I grew up.
I suggest including the song 'Taking It Home' on the "gone but not forgotten" disc. 
  • Thank You 1
  • Sad 1

If I may speak candidly, I don't really have an interest in a commemorative disc. The body of work left behind suffices for me in that regard but of course I'll support whatever is eventually decided. However a new reference disc is an exciting notion and I'd be happy to contribute. I'm far more interested in the tracks others find to be of particular quality than simply being from a musician who's passed.

How can I help the effort? 
  • Thank You 2

Not sure if it has been used yet, but this selection by Bob Dylan -- "Man in the Long Black Coat" is very similar to the amazing effects of the first song on the 2014 disc-- Chris Rea's "The Road to Hell". I would highly recommend it:

Speaking of the 2014 disc, I got to play it on Butch's $300,000 mac system Friday. Audio perfection.

IMG_0658.JPG.38a9a684b41b8ae98cfa6078699c6f83.JPG

IMG_0661.JPG.c8b0acce9dfc7ec225189a4f8a8be212.JPG

IMG_0662.JPG.1f887053130131a87b5340289f062504.JPG

IMG_0660.JPG.442921ebbd2d8f907c909fa79488d591.JPG

• Thank You 1

A Glenn Frey song should be on this list. I'd like to nominate Hotel California. It's a rock classic. It's in my top 5 of all rock songs.  Frey passed on January 18, 2016.  As a founding member (and lead singer) of The Eagles I can't see how he could be excluded.

I'd like to propose 'On the Border' by the Eagles because: "This track was inspired by the Watergate scandal and fears of the government overstepping its bounds and infringing on people's privacy. Barely audible at the end of the song, Glenn Frey can be heard whispering "Say Goodnight, Dick," a line made famous by Dan Rowan of Rowan and Martin but in this case referring to Richard Nixon's resignation.[20] Nixon would indeed resign five months after the release of the album." by Browne, David (June 10, 2016). "Eagles' Complete Discography: Don Henley Looks Back"Rolling Stone.

Frey wrote the lyrics to Hotel California. It is considered to be the most famous of all the Eagles songs and it certainly has the best lyrics. It is listed on pretty much every top 10 list of rock songs all time. Clearly it is Frey's masterpiece.

Frey wrote the lyrics to Hotel California. It is considered to be the most famous of all the Eagles songs and it certainly has the best lyrics. It is listed on pretty much every top 10 list of rock songs all time. Clearly it is Frey's masterpiece.
It's also one of three extremely over-played songs I refuse to listen to anymore. Freebird, Hotel California and Stairway to Heaven.