My first post to say HI

Just a quick note to say hi and get my first post to this forum finally made.  I have been visiting, reading and following this site for over a year now.  I am amazed at the ideas and knowledge, not to mention the helpfulness, of so many of the members here.  Unlike so many other forums where posts turn into nothing more than a flame war, this site is truly one of knowledge and help that I would like to be a part of.  I do have some general questions I hope some of you here may be able to answer based on yours experiences and knowledge. Thanks, Steve.

Well welcome to the CarverSite, Steve!  Great to have your talent, gifts, and knowledge on board the Carver express.  ...and by the way, you have been a member longer than I have as my 1 year anniversary is next month.

You are right as rain in saying this site is special.   Amazing knowledge and technical advice here.  Ask away.

ALL things audio (&video) are appreciated as well-- even if we do have a passion for Carver gear.  And if you are able, please post any pics by opening a thread on your computer and selecting the "insert image" icon on the top right of the tool bar.  Then select "upload", find pic on your computer, select it, wait about 5-6 seconds, then hit "insert".  We LUV pics!

How did you happen to get started in Carver gear?

WELCOME ABOARD MY FRIEND and ENJOY THE MUSIC!  Beer!

Related image

• Thank You 1

Welcome, a lot of good folks here, and a wealth of knowledge in the many threads and among the techs here! Kick off your shoes, grab a beverage and turn up the volume, and stay a while.

Barryg

Welcome to CS, StevBeggs !

We leave the worries at the door once we enter the CS portal. The love of Music, not just specific gear is at the core.

I see that you got a rap on the knuckle for pictures. Let me add a gentle reminder to Aslan's request.  

Welcome Steve.  I also spent my first year with maybe one post and then I discovered how great these people are.  I now have friends all over the country who have my back and will do anything they can to help.  That's pretty cool.  The more you participate the more you will enjoy this place. 

Thanks everybody for the warm welcome.  Yes, I know about the pics!  One of the reasons for taking so long to post.  I did finally get some taken, but right now I am at work.  Once I get home tonight, I will post some.  I got interested in Carver back in the late 70's - early 80's, seeing them in the audio magazines and adverts.  Unfortunately, at that time, Carver was high end and more $$ than I could spend, so I was limited to a pair of original Amazing loudspeakers I bought new from American TV in Madison.  I used them along with Heathkit Pro Series components I assembled.  Eventually, I added a second pair or original Amazing's all driven with four Silver 7t's, replacing the Heathkits with additional Carver units, C4000t preamp and 490t cd player.  But as you all know, Carver made (and still does) many awesome pieces,  so my system continues to change.  Currently, I have replaced the Amazing's with GE Triton 1's.  I have replaced the preamp with a Sunfire Classic Tube pre (unfortunately no remote or phono) and the Silver 7t's with a pair of Cherry 180's.  I STILL have the fever, and things continue to evolve, even today.  Hence some questions arising that I will be asking of you...

• Thank You 1

Thanks Chiroacademy.  I have seen many fine systems here.  I will get some pics up, but hopefully will be able to live up to the standards of pics I have seen here.  The how-to and step-by-step pics as well as the system pics are awesome.  I don't think I can take them as clear and detailed, but will try.  The guys that do that I give a lot of credit to.

Thanks Chiroacademy.  I have seen many fine systems here.  I will get some pics up, but hopefully will be able to live up to the standards of pics I have seen here.  The how-to and step-by-step pics as well as the system pics are awesome.  I don't think I can take them as clear and detailed, but will try.  The guys that do that I give a lot of credit to.

Sounds like you've got quite a system going, Steve!  ...and even if you just post a pic of one little piece of equipment, (Carver or not) it makes our day.  Those Triton 1's are beautiful pieces out of Stevenson, MD. 

I too started my Carver journey with a pair of AL Silver's in 1990 purchased new with college money I did not have.  Great to have another Silver owner here- and it sounds like you too have the OCCD bug .OCCD Thumb up

Like Loner_t referenced, whether it's a mighty multi hundred/thousand/million dollar system, or a small speaker-amp combo out of a white van, what we really enjoy is your audio journey story; broadening our knowledge; bringing Carver pieces back to life; fellowship with each other; and perfecting our craft-- all in the name of enjoying the music powerfully, accurately, and effortlessly. Beer!

Image result for bob carver

Welcome Steve, glad to have you here. The cool thing about the love of audio gear (and being a tech, for that matter), is that it's a journey - you're always refining, upgrading, and learning more. At times, the quest is more fun than the result;-)

Let us know what we can help with, and we'll do our best!

Hi Steve,

I'm looking forward to some pics of your really nice gear. We have some great techs here always willing to help out and just a great bunch of guys to hang out with at Carverfest. Good to have you join us!

Charlie

Thanks everybody for the warm welcome.  Yes, I know about the pics!  One of the reasons for taking so long to post.  I did finally get some taken, but right now I am at work.  Once I get home tonight, I will post some.  I got interested in Carver back in the late 70's - early 80's, seeing them in the audio magazines and adverts.  Unfortunately, at that time, Carver was high end and more $$ than I could spend, so I was limited to a pair of original Amazing loudspeakers I bought new from American TV in Madison.  I used them along with Heathkit Pro Series components I assembled.  Eventually, I added a second pair or original Amazing's all driven with four Silver 7t's, replacing the Heathkits with additional Carver units, C4000t preamp and 490t cd player.  But as you all know, Carver made (and still does) many awesome pieces,  so my system continues to change.  Currently, I have replaced the Amazing's with GE Triton 1's.  I have replaced the preamp with a Sunfire Classic Tube pre (unfortunately no remote or phono) and the Silver 7t's with a pair of Cherry 180's.  I STILL have the fever, and things continue to evolve, even today.  Hence some questions arising that I will be asking of you...

Welcome Steve!
I spent many hours at "Crazy Lenny's" as a 16 yr old with a drivers license... Driving from Elm Grove to Madison.
I went on a Mac and Cheese diet and sold my meal tickets at UW so I could buy a Hafler Amp kit there.

Itch 

Daddyjt, thank you for the offer.  I will likely be taking you up on it.  I am no tech by any means.  I only built the Heathkits for the enjoyment.  Couple of kits I had problems with and had to send them to Heath in MI for repair.  I had a channel go out a couple of times on some of the power amps.  Was able to troubleshoot until the last time.  Kinda what pushed me on to the Carvers.  But I loved every minute of building them for sure.  This audio "thing" for me is just a hobby and pure enjoyment of music, to relax and chill.  By profession, I am a Mechanical Design Engineer for a foundry in southern WI.  I do 3D solids modeling, which can be a challenge and fun in and of itself.

Welcome Steve!
I spent many hours at "Crazy Lenny's" as a 16 yr old with a drivers license... Driving from Elm Grove to Madison.
I went on a Mac and Cheese diet and sold my meal tickets at UW so I could buy a Hafler Amp kit there.

Itch 

Wow, small world.  You would have driven right by me.  I lived only a mile or so north of the freeway.  I also have a Hafler amp.   Know the feeling of scrounging funds.  My very first system was an Electrophonic receiver, Denon 2-way bookself speakers and Garrard mini-changer.  Seems like I worked forever doing lawnwork to get them.   No clue if I am posting replies correctly---see it IS my first post---by trying anyway!

Thanks everybody for the warm welcome. Yes, I know about the pics! One of the reasons for taking so long to post. I did finally get some taken, but right now I am at work. Once I get home tonight, I will post some. I got interested in Carver back in the late 70's - early 80's, seeing them in the audio magazines and adverts. Unfortunately, at that time, Carver was high end and more $$ than I could spend, so I was limited to a pair of original Amazing loudspeakers I bought new from American TV in Madison. I used them along with Heathkit Pro Series components I assembled. Eventually, I added a second pair or original Amazing's all driven with four Silver 7t's, replacing the Heathkits with additional Carver units, C4000t preamp and 490t cd player. But as you all know, Carver made (and still does) many awesome pieces, so my system continues to change. Currently, I have replaced the Amazing's with GE Triton 1's. I have replaced the preamp with a Sunfire Classic Tube pre (unfortunately no remote or phono) and the Silver 7t's with a pair of Cherry 180's. I STILL have the fever, and things continue to evolve, even today. Hence some questions arising that I will be asking of you...
Welcome Steve!
Itch

Crazy Lenny from America of Madison.. Was there many times... Remember when you could spend a couple hundred bucks and get a free 10 speed bike!!!! Ended up the largest bike dealer in the US for awhile.. Ya know itch your pretty old if you remember that...?

Welcome Steve, glad you decided to join in on the fun.
Sounds like you've had some awesome equipment, still have it all (working & nonworking) ? 
What types of music and bands /artists do you enjoy listening to ? 

Thank you Blues Pwr.   Everything is still working, save for one channel on one of the 250w Heathkit amps. (Someday I may take a look at it and try to revive.)   Everything Carver is working, though the two C4000 preamps are no longer being used along with both pairs of Amazing speakers.  The C-9 is also in limbo as I am transitioning into incorporating a Marantz AV7005 and going/adding 5.1 channel (Replacing a current, cheap Yamaha/Klipch 7.1 setup.)   Music I like most rock, soft rock, county, pop.  Listen to some "classic" classical.  Band favs Styx, REO, Pink Floyd, many others.  Right now though I am really into Celtic Thunder.  I think their vocals and harmonies are awesome and music is fantastic.

• Thank You 1

Well welcome to the CarverSite, Steve!  Great to have your talent, gifts, and knowledge on board the Carver express.  ...and by the way, you have been a member longer than I have as my 1 year anniversary is next month.

You are right as rain in saying this site is special.   Amazing knowledge and technical advice here.  Ask away.

ALL things audio (&video) are appreciated as well-- even if we do have a passion for Carver gear.  And if you are able, please post any pics by opening a thread on your computer and selecting the "insert image" icon on the top right of the tool bar.  Then select "upload", find pic on your computer, select it, wait about 5-6 seconds, then hit "insert".  We LUV pics!

How did you happen to get started in Carver gear?

WELCOME ABOARD MY FRIEND and ENJOY THE MUSIC!  Beer!

Related image

I have uploaded a pic to the Members System section.  Your instruction was great.
  • Thank You 1