Stopping in to say hello!

I just recently made a couple of Carver purchases, one of which is a very near mint TX-11a a few weeks ago, the other a very near mint C-9 that I just purchased about an hour ago. 

A little history...

My father had a huge and heavy Technics SU-8099 integrated amp, ST-8077 tuner, SL-1700MkII, Nakamichi 680DX and Klipsch Cornwall II's. He always had it playing, it always sounded good, but it was always played at quiet to moderate levels or classical and pipe organ music, both of which I love.

BUT... 

I've been a huge fan of Carver ever since my oldest brother came home from the Army back in 1986. When based over in Germany, he bought a full stack of Carver gear including a C-1, TX-11, DTL-100, and M-400t. He also had a Nakamichi DRAGON, Harmon/Kardon CD-491, Denon DP-62L, ADC SS-315x, and last but not least, a pair of JBL L112's. 

The first album he played for me was Genesis - Mama. Right after the Stanton 981 HZS settled into the lead-in groove, he cranked up the volume on the C-1. And I mean, he cranked it up! The LED's on the M-400t started hopping a little. Then about 2 and a half minutes into the song, that first sustained bass note comes in, bumps the LED's up about halfway and holds, vibrating my body at the same time, but once the drums came in a minute later, the LED's on the M-400t started jumping all the way to the top and the lights in the room started flickering crazy. I was in love!!! Hell, I'm still in love!!!!

At some point, I WILL recreate that system of his, at least the Carver gear and JBL's.

How's that for a greet and meet? LOL  Party!

• Thank You 5

That's a fantastic story Chops. Got my music adrenaline flowing!

Welcome to the CarverSite my audiophile friend. Your love of Carver shows--and that's some very cool equipment your bro had. Maybe he wants to hop aboard the carver train too?

If you would privilege us with some pics, we would be most appreciative.

So glad you found us! Your OCCD journey is just beginning!

• Thank You 1

Glad you found us. You are going to fall in love with this site. Hang out for a while, you can learn a lot from these people. They are great

Thanks!

I've actually been lurking around here the past few weeks since I decided to buy the TX-11a. Looking for possible updates/upgrades for it, this forum kept popping up in the searches. And now with the C-9 on the way, if it works as good as it looks, I want to look into updating/upgrading it as well. This stuff isn't exactly new anymore.  Big Grin

Welcome! The Cube (400t) is a powerful little amp, but being in such a small form factor makes them difficult to work on/restore. It never ceases to amaze me at how much available power the Carver amps have, and how effortlessly they deliver it.

Welcome to CS, Chops !

L112s will get your 'balls' rolling, too.  Big Grin (and you have OCCD since 'Mama' sang in your ears, you just did not want to admit it). CS provides free group therapy for OCCD and a very good conduit for your wallet. Caveat Emptor.

As Chris Rea says - pieces of paper flying away from you - . 

That's a fantastic story Chops. Got my music adrenaline flowing!

Welcome to the CarverSite my audiophile friend. Your love of Carver shows--and that's some very cool equipment your bro had. Maybe he wants to hop aboard the carver train too?

If you would privilege us with some pics, we would be most appreciative.

So glad you found us! Your OCCD journey is just beginning!

Thank you for the kind words and warm welcome!

Ask and you shall receive...

Pre-Carver
p1935569260-5.jpg

p2180441633-5.jpg

p2188569727-5.jpg
  • Thank You 7

Gorgeous Chops!

Beautiful speakers

Beautiful TX-11

Beautiful Oppo blu ray

Beautiful turntable

Beautiful cabling

Beautiful C-9 (looks brand new!)

Beautiful bass guitar

Beautiful everything ...etc. etc.

How do you like those cork pads under your TT? Looks like you got some serious vibration isolation going on under that beauty.

You have a favorite "go to" album in that vinyl display which you like to play?

Again, thanks everyone for the warm welcomes! And yes, I am a nutball! 

Asain7, thank you very much! All the cabling is Wireworld. And not pictured are the two Blue Circle Audio PLC Pucks plugged into the wall directly behind each speaker. 

The cork pads do remarkably well. Not so much from the speakers (apartment living doesn't allow loud playback, especially on the 3rd floor). What I got them for is for footfalls. The cork pads pretty much eliminated them completely.

My "go to" album? Do you really need to ask? LOL  

Welcome to the best group you can find.  Looks like a Proceed Pwr Amp on the bottom right.  You've started down the Carver acquisition road of OCCD.  LOL

I like many here have been bitten by the Carver bug. Two M1.0t mkII opt002 pwr amps in used and 3 other Carvers resting as spares. 

And just for fun, here's a pic from almost 20 years ago. One of the last versions of my brother's Carver system before he was forced to sell do to being laid off with the crappy economy. 

You can see that he upgraded to a C-4000, purchased another M-400t to run mono to power a pair of Magnepan MGLR-1's that I traded him for his JBL's. He also had a TFM-35x that he was using to power a 15" sealed sub that I built for him using a JL Audio 15W3 driver. That thing moved some major air! And lastly, he then had an SD/A-450 since the old DTL-100 died.  

By this time, he had sold his DRAGON, CD-491 and ADS EQ.

post-11084-13819246236238.jpg 
  • Thank You 5

Welcome to the best group you can find.  Looks like a Proceed Pwr Amp on the bottom right.  You've started down the Carver acquisition road of OCCD.  LOL

I like many here have been bitten by the Carver bug. Two M1.0t mkII opt002 pwr amps in used and 3 other Carvers resting as spares. 

Actually, that's a Wyred 4 Sound ST-250 amp. It sounds pretty darn good and provides 195 watts @ 4 ohms, and of course runs cold to the touch.

I've just started looking into the M-1.0 amps and mods, as well as the  M-500t. Or even the M-1.5t, if there's any mods available for it. 

Where is your brother now, Chops?

Once a carver addict, always a carver addict. ;-))

His passion would ALSO be much appreciated here.

He's more into small simple systems now with tubes and efficient speakers.

DSCF3005ab1.jpg
  • Thank You 1

Very cool!

You both are kindred spirits Chops.

Send him our link.

I think he would appreciate this site's fellowship, unique character, and passion for reproducing music accurately, powerfully, and effortlessly.

Great pics.

He used to be pretty big into forums, but not so much anymore. I'll let him know about this site, but I can't promise anything. Heck, he probably already knows about it.

• Thank You 1

Where is your brother now, Chops?

Once a carver addict, always a carver addict. ;-))

His passion would ALSO be much appreciated here.

He's more into small simple systems now with tubes and efficient speakers.

Bob has gotten back into tube amps in recent years too....yikes.gifParty! Big Grin

Carverandamp.jpg
  • Thank You 1

• Community Admin
Wow, Took a family day, and I missed a lot!  

Welcome Chops - nice method, teaser intro, followed by pics.  Those are some great looking systems and histories.  

This is a great site to keep your Carver addiction alive.  As you pick up gear, this is the place to get it back into top operating condition.  Much of what is out there has aging components, and the experience you have from days gone by IS possible - but it might take a bit of restoration as things up for sale aren't always in perfect shape.

The TX-11a is a great tuner - I'm into FM as well - it does even better with an amplified antenna in your attic - there's a few threads here on great ideas to maximize the ACCD in the TX really make FM something to behold.

Welcome !