Does anyone own this LP??

aslan7

I noticed a substantial price increase in the vinyl version of this album by Dido--"Life for Rent".   I stream & play the CD versions quite a bit as it is one of my fav's.

I'm curious if anyone here owns the 200 gram audiophile version?

It is a rarity which has sold for $200 recently.  I'm now seeing this piece of plastic listing for $400-$550!

Dido-Life-for-rent-200g-Classic-Records-QUIEX-SV-P-super-vinyl

That's just stupid pricing. Sure, it's a great album, but it's not worth $200 much less $400+.

I don't have that album on vinyl, but I do have several duplicates of original pressings and on heavy vinyl. 90% of the time, the original "thin" vinyl sounds better! I no longer hunt down heavy vinyl copies as they're just not worth it, likewise with "remastered" copies. As an example, the remastered heavy version of Pink Floyd DSOM is a total waste. My original pressing is 100 times better!

"That's just stupid pricing. Sure, it's a great album, but it's not worth $200 much less $400+."

IKR! 

"the remastered heavy version of Pink Floyd DSOM is a total waste."

IMHO, so much depends on the source material and the engineer's knowledge & involvement during the recording. In my DSOTM  comparison testing, I found Parson's 2003 30th anniversary pressing edging out over my original 1973 (EX cond.) pressing. It consistently receives high marks.  The original press did beat out the 2013 40th anniversary "digital" pressing.  YMMV of course.

This SuperVinyl pressing of Dido's album is supposedly quite good.  Not sure it's $200-650 good though.   Phones

That's just stupid pricing. Sure, it's a great album, but it's not worth $200 much less $400+.

I don't have that album on vinyl, but I do have several duplicates of original pressings and on heavy vinyl. 90% of the time, the original "thin" vinyl sounds better! I no longer hunt down heavy vinyl copies as they're just not worth it, likewise with "remastered" copies. As an example, the remastered heavy version of Pink Floyd DSOM is a total waste. My original pressing is 100 times better!

Really what is bad about the current version 180 Gram pressing of T.D.S.O.T.M?

I have one that sounds good now that I gave it a proper cleaning and I'm using a Denon DL-103 MC cartridge with my current Technics SL-Q2  that is in nearly mint condition. I did screw up the record by using it with a Pioneer PL-7 (My first table to get back into vinyl which I have since sold) with the tracking angle and overhang not set up correctly.

How can I find a standard version of T.D.S.O.T.M. like your taking about but brand new? Thanks, Steve 

DenonDL-1031.thumb.jpg.7cca577fc0d1f19e43a5812c5d2961f8.jpg

Really what is bad about the current version 180 Gram pressing of T.D.S.O.T.M?

I have one that sounds good now that I gave it a proper cleaning and I'm using a Denon DL-103 MC cartridge with my current Technics SL-Q2  that is in nearly mint condition. I did screw up the record by using it with a Pioneer PL-7 (My first table to get back into vinyl which I have since sold) with the tracking angle and overhang not set up correctly.

How can I find a standard version of T.D.S.O.T.M. like your taking about but brand new? Thanks, Steve 

Mod's may want to start a new thread with the aboveThink

I don't even know the artist. Guess I won't be buying the vinyl.

You old stick in the mud. Expand your genre horizons. emwink.gif
For us cheap skates: A CD can be had for $5.

Got my curmudgeon badge at 25.

I have the two albums of Dido in 200gr special vinyl. I've bought It in Paris some Years ago for about 10 euros each. It Plays good but nothing special.

If you lived in America, I would consider buying it from ya Leonardo...Italy is a long way to ship.

10 Euros....nice investment my friend!

Back from the vinyl gathering here Aslan.....wife and I looked for this album at almost every vendor.....no luck.
I'll still keep my eyes open though. 
  • Thank You 2

There's hope!...my 50th birthday is in one week. Hinted to the wife--although she just laughed & shrugged it off.

But what a memorable gift that would be!

Hey I can dream.

• Community Admin
Thank you, as well for the pay-it-forward karma.  

(PP donation to the site to keep the Karma chain going.)

• 1 month later...

Well, I got home from being on the road and my wife presented me with a nice surprise.

My 50th birthday request:

Dido "life for rent" on vinyl.PhonesBig GrinPhones

This is a hard album to find so the value has gone up as mentioned in this thread earlier.  

The icing on the cake is that she purchased the Michael Hobson numbered copy edition.  These apparently were some of the first stamper edition copy's which were pressed, numbered, and added to his collection from the Classic Records pressing machines.  Not sure how true it is but according to folklore:

"Hobson, insisted on the “best copies” from the “sweet spot” of the pressing run for his personal archive of 5 numbered copies of each release! It is reported that Hobson personally selected the copies of the records that went into his archive by listening to 1st stamper pressings to determine when the “stamper” was in the “sweet spot” and pressing the best sounding records during the run. Further, these records have not been moved from Hobson’s own climate controlled air-conditioned storage for all these years."

I must admit, it does sound great.  Better than regular pressings?  Who knows.  But it's a birthday present I'll always cherish.

Thank you honey!  Beer!

20170609123835742.jpg 

20170609123921749.jpg

20170609123936398.jpg 

20170609124233929.jpg 
  • That Rocks 1

• Community Admin
Happy Birthday !  

Great gift, ..., your wife is definitely in tune with your hobby.  That's awesome. 
  • Thank You 1