Just a simple newbie question

Hiya all, Yup new......don't feel new as I am nearing 60, however new here. Anyway have never owned a Carver and want to now. Have had alot of other amps though. I have a pair of JBL 150s that I would like to run on a Carver amp/pre-amp......Ideas????? for use with a turntable......thanx guys

Howdy neptuneslair and welcome to the forum. Great to have you on board and jonesing for some Carver gear.

The C-1 and it's black-faced sibling (the C-11) are great preamps with excellent phono sections (MM and MC).
The C-1 matches up well (sonically and cosmetically) with M-series amps (M-500t, M-1.0t, M-1.5t, M-4.0t).
2009-03-31~-~Stereo~with~C-1~003.jpg 

DSC_0170.jpg 

The C-11 pairs well with TFM-series amps
233382-carver_stereo_stack_tfm25_c11_tl3 

Good luck with your quest! 
  • Thank You 3

Would very much like to thank you guys for your support/help. When buying these items, the "M" or "TFM" amps, is their anything that I should be watching out for??? What should I consider good pricing? Again thank you all!!!

Would very much like to thank you guys for your support/help. When buying these items, the "M" or "TFM" amps, is their anything that I should be watching out for??? What should I consider good pricing? Again thank you all!!!

First off Welcome neptuneslair.
PRICE?
That's a deep question??? You are going to need to do some reaserch. E sales and Audiogone subscription to their Bule Book would be a good start. We are always happy to help and if you see something on E and state your intent happy to stand off to give you a chance.
  • Thank You 1

Welcome to the Csite forum neptuneslair. So glad you found us!!

You are asking the right questions on a quest that will be well worth the research.

What is your price range?

What do you play mostly--2 channel; surround sound; vinyl, digital, etc; all of the above? Do you prefer a tube sound?

Lots of knowledge and tech advice here. Folks with JBL's too.

As you narrow your focus, it will begin to materialize just what you desire.

Beware though, OCCD is very contagious.

...and welcome aboard the Carver express. Hope you stay awhile!!

• Thank You 1

I certainly do both....surround and stereo. I however am old school and believe they are two vastly different situations. I already have my surround system complete. As far as music, well I am a two channel guy. So we will concentrate on a separate system, 2 channels only. I do have a very nice pair of JBL L150s that I would like to use in this particular system. I can also tell you the majority of music will be 80% vinyl. Perhaps 10% RTR and maybe 5% Dragonfly playlist off computer and the remaining 5%......well, cassette,tuner. Just mostly Vinyl

As for price, I'd suggest watching a few sales to gain a sense of what the median price is for a particular piece of equipment. Meanwhile, do your research on what your needs and wants are; wattage, aesthetics, functionality, etc. For example, my first Carver piece was an M500 (no 't') amplifier and I bought it simply because it fit on my shelf. Suggestions of either the M500t or M1.0t are solid and each amp has the added benefit of being subject to the MkII upgrades should you feel the pull of a real beast amplifier. The C-1 preamp is also fairly versatile and has a good phono section. It too can be modified and given near world class performance. Should either of these components not ultimately suit your needs they are all easy to sell again.

Oh....and if you decide you're going to bid on something being auctioned then let us know in the "Dibbs" section so no one here bids against you. 
  • Thank You 1

• Community Admin
Welcome to the site, Neptuneslair.   You have clearly been bitten by OCCD (Obsessive Carver Collecting Disorder)...,

And yours could be one of the first documented case of the affliction before you made your first acquisition!! Party!

Lots of good advice.  Take your time, you're still young and have lots of time to enjoy the music.

Welcome! 
  • Thank You 1

Good morning and welcome, Neptuneslair!

You're making a good choice in going with some Carver equipment to play through your JBL L150's. They're a great match!

My very first encounter with Carver and JBL was with my oldest brother who just came back home from the Army (and which ultimately started my journey into hifi and music at the ripe ole' age of 9). He came back from Germany with a Carver C-1 preamp, TX-11 tuner, an M-400t (small cube amp) and a pair of JBL L112's, which are the little brother to your L150's, just the bookshelf version without the passive radiator. That very system lit a fire in my heart that still burns mighty strong today, and that was over 30 years ago!

BTW, I just started acquiring my Carver gear within the past few months. Before this, I tried every brand of gear under the sun. Don't ask me why I only now started my OCCD of Carver gear. It makes no sense to me either. LOL