How Much Time Do You Spend Listening?

PhilDent

I read how much time, effort, and money the members here spend on their systems.  I'm curious how much time everyone gets to spend critically listening, and more importantly enjoying their Carver systems.  Are you able to carve out some time everyday?  If so, how long?  I'm looking forward to your responses.

I try to get in some critical listening everyday, but responsibilities such as job, family, and (to quote Triumph the Insult Comic Dog) the demands of a normal sex life interfere with that goal.

However, anytime that I watch sports on TV, I have the sound off and I'm listening to music.  The best of both worlds in my opinion. 

Well, I usually listen for a couple of hours on the weekend, but my home theater is used daily for a couple of hours, not always blockbuster movies, but the sound is much better than those awful tv speakers, especially with all those Carver amps powering the speakers :--D

I would be the exception. I rarely listen, (once or twice a week) but when I do, I have high expectations. Same as my target rifle. You can only spend so much on a system that your senses are capable of appreciating, yet, there is little room in my mind for a system that needs constant tweaking.

I can identify with those who struggle to carve out time to get some uninterrupted, quality listening in.  I had a happy accident recently.  My eye doctor diagnosed me with dry eyes and suggested a therapy of wearing a heated eye mask for 10 minutes per day.  It has been a Godsend.  Now I need no justification to sit in the sweet spot of the HiFi for at least 10 minutes without interruption.  I call it my 10 minutes of zen everyday.  I still struggle everyday to carve out more time in the sweet spot.

If my other half isn't watching something on the system by the time I get home from work (after 8), then I'm in front of the system until around 1 or 2am. My days off, I get stuff done then the rest of the time, I'm in front of the system again. And that's not including the fact that the system runs 24/7. So in other words, I listen to my system a LOT!

I listen about 3-4 Hrs per day on my home system and I listen all day long at work; I'm lucky that I can have personal sound in my office.... emsmiled.gif

I listen about 3-4 Hrs per day on my home system and I listen all day long at work; I'm lucky that I can have personal sound in my office.... emsmiled.gif

I listen at work too, I have a system, but no Carver msp_thumbdn.gif 

My answer is not so simple.

I ended up buying a The Receiver and have it in my home office. I can have music playing in the background if the markets are not too crazy (need to focus.) 

The home theater contains Carver and Sunfire, this is running almost every evening.

To listen to my AUDIO system requires an empty house! That only happens once or twice a week. 

I try to listen (critically) 2-3 hours each day, often split between morning, afternoon and evening. "Super" critical listening usually only occurs when the house is empty, which is rare.

I also find the best critical listening happens with an empty house.  My listening experience can be affected by my suspicions that my better half is seething over me spending time enjoying music instead of doing fill in the blank chore.

I am lucky to have my own office so first thing I do in the mornins is turn on the tube amp Bob modded for me at CF15. Play it through a pair of Andrew Jones with a NAD as pre.

When home I might put on a record on the TT system in the bedroom and just shut the door. Played through a C1 and a 500t with the CF15 speakers and a mirage sub.

However for a real critical listen its the main system and I need to have an empty house as usually that meens "

CRANK it UP!!!
Denon pre with a M-1.0t MKII opt2 B&W 801D's twin Carver sig subs.

I agree that the music needs to be cranked up for me to thoroughly enjoy.  Headphones just don't cut it.  I need the visceral experience that headphones can't afford.  When possible I tend to listen at a volume of 80 - 83 dB. 

B&W 801D's twin Carver sig subs.

Do you fine those subs to be musical enough to be a good match for the 801D's? 

Headphones just don't cut it.  I need the visceral experience that headphones can't afford.

Something I tried years ago was a pair of Aura bass shakers mounted under the chair while using headphones. Worked surprisingly well. Blast to your heart's content and not bother a sole. I had to put some electrical tape on the adjustment handles of the chair though to keep them from rattling.  Big Grin Phones

B&W 801D's twin Carver sig subs.

Do you fine those subs to be musical enough to be a good match for the 801D's? 

Yes I do. I set the EQ on the pre so that it took the deep bass load off the B&W's and let the sig's handel it with a flat responce around 80HZ with about 90* of phase. No BOOM BOOM just tight clean Bass that intergrates smoothly to the speakers. Broken two porch lamps so farhappy0009.gif