CARVER site! Mobile

Featured System                

Carver audio forum, free Carver manuals, Carver audio information, Carver audio repair, Carver specifications, Carver modification, Carver upgrade, Carver amplifiers, Carver amplifier, Carver amp, Carver home audio, Carver hifiNow Playing

Now Playing: Peter Gabriel "Security"
             Carver audio forum, free Carver manuals, Carver audio information, Carver audio repair, Carver specifications, Carver modification, Carver upgrade, Carver amplifiers, Carver amplifier, Carver amp, Carver home audio, Carver hifi
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Speaker box building software (free)
RichP714Offline
#1 Posted: Saturday, February 14, 2009 12:15:33 PM(UTC)

Send to facebookSend to DelisciousSend to StumbleuponDigg thisSend by emailSend to Addthis
RichP714

Medals:
Yin Yang: Black Pearl device for multiple award; participated in audio KarmaZeroPointe: Black Pearl device for multiple award; audio tools ownerBill D modified: audio equipment owner

Groups: Dev, Retired

Was thanked: 1035 time(s) in 625 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 437 times

This is a fairly decent and free package for designing/building closed, ported, and bandpass boxes. Very helpful if you are designing your own subwoofer box, etc.

http://www.subwoofer-builder.com/WinISD.htm

Enjoy!

-
------http://zeropointe.thecarversite.com----------------------http://carvermk2.com---------------

1 user thanked RichP714 for this useful post.
fill35U on 6/6/2014(UTC)
Sponsor

#2 Posted: Friday, November 6, 2009 8:02:05 PM(UTC)

Send to facebookSend to DelisciousSend to StumbleuponDigg thisSend by emailSend to Addthis

Groups:

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)

Looks like a good program.
But couldn't see anything about actual Box Dimensions, just box volume.
After building speakers for over 35 years, I'v found a sealed box packed almost full of damping (insulation) worked best. Its less colored (no bump at some freq.) and goes down lower into subsonic. The bigger the box, the better. Most quality woofers specify a nominal sealed box volume. This can be reduced to 75%, limiting max output a little at high levels.
The biggest mistake I see is someone making a box with all 3 dimensions the same (a cube)!? Although the wavelength at 20hz is bigger than many rooms, harmonics still happen. All 3 box dimensions should be different or the 3 standing waves will be the same fequency. You better like that frequency at lot.
Rich / Calgary

RichP714Offline
#3 Posted: Friday, November 6, 2009 9:42:24 PM(UTC)

RichP714

Medals:
Yin Yang: Black Pearl device for multiple award; participated in audio KarmaZeroPointe: Black Pearl device for multiple award; audio tools ownerBill D modified: audio equipment owner

Wizard wrote:
Looks like a good program.
But couldn't see anything about actual Box Dimensions, just box volume.
After building speakers for over 35 years, I'v found a sealed box packed almost full of damping (insulation) worked best. Its less colored (no bump at some freq.) and goes down lower into subsonic. The bigger the box, the better. Most quality woofers specify a nominal sealed box volume. This can be reduced to 75%, limiting max output a little at high levels.
The biggest mistake I see is someone making a box with all 3 dimensions the same (a cube)!? Although the wavelength at 20hz is bigger than many rooms, harmonics still happen. All 3 box dimensions should be different or the 3 standing waves will be the same fequency. You better like that frequency at lot.
Rich / Calgary

Rich, to manipulate the box dimensions click on the 'box shape' button in the Box tab.......

You can then enter parameters you need (like width if it's going to go in a trunk) and it will solve for the others.

Enjoy!

-
------http://zeropointe.thecarversite.com----------------------http://carvermk2.com---------------

elgrauOffline
#4 Posted: Friday, November 6, 2009 10:17:33 PM(UTC)

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)

"Box"?? Who builds "boxes"?! 
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2 (fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
RichP714Offline
#5 Posted: Friday, November 6, 2009 10:55:12 PM(UTC)

RichP714

Medals:

Those who haven't mastered the secret of the Spheres
Enjoy!

-

#6 Posted: Saturday, November 7, 2009 12:07:29 PM(UTC)

Groups:

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)

I went to the site and looked it over. Didn't actually download and test the program. Looks good.

I would use Cubic Inches (15" woofer = 8000"^3, 12"=4000"^3, 10"=3000"^3,,..) rather than deal with decimals (2.237ft^3),,.. same difference.
I kept the longest dimension under 3.5ft to keep down standing waves.

Yup, I built boxes. Haven't built anything for a while. They did sound excellent. Have done a lot of woofer surround repair though. And capacitor replacements in passive crossovers.

Some of the DIY speakers here are stunning. Amazing woodworking. Makes me wanna start up again, just wish the garage wasn't frozen for 1/2 the year,,..
Darn, those ideas for new designs are flooding back,,.. you guys are a bad influence,,..

Rich / Calgary
elgrauOffline
#8 Posted: Saturday, November 7, 2009 12:34:38 PM(UTC)

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)

yep; just kidding...I build boxes, too. And the EPI 1000's I built still hold the "crown" in my house! The only deviation I made from "factory" specs was the addition of a hardwood cross brace at the smallest "link" between the woofer and tweeter cutouts on these 360 deg 6' towers. And I verified via FEM analysis that this bracing did indeed raise the box's fundamental frequency mode (the main advantage other than "spherical dispersion" that my spheres have over a "box' design: very high fundamental mode due to the natural efficiency (stiffness wise) of "shells" vs flat plates!) -Ed
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2 (fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
RichP714Offline
#7 Posted: Saturday, November 7, 2009 1:10:53 PM(UTC)

RichP714

Medals:

Wizard wrote:
I went to the site and looked it over. Didn't actually download and test the program. Looks good.

I would use Cubic Inches (15" woofer = 8000"^3, 12"=4000"^3, 10"=3000"^3,,..) rather than deal with decimals (2.237ft^3),,.. same difference.

You can also change units by clicking on them
Enjoy!

-

Rss Feed Atom Feed