CARVER site! Mobile

Featured System                

Carver audio forum, free Carver manuals, Carver audio information, Carver audio repair, Carver specifications, Carver modification, Carver upgrade, Carver amplifiers, Carver amplifier, Carver amp, Carver home audio, Carver hifiNow Playing

Now Playing: Duran Duran "All You Need Is Now"
             Carver audio forum, free Carver manuals, Carver audio information, Carver audio repair, Carver specifications, Carver modification, Carver upgrade, Carver amplifiers, Carver amplifier, Carver amp, Carver home audio, Carver hifi
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
Ground Loop Hum
MaddmasterOffline
#1 Posted: Friday, October 22, 2010 5:16:57 AM(UTC)

Send to facebookSend to DelisciousSend to StumbleuponDigg thisSend by emailSend to Addthis
Maddmaster

Medals:
Senior: memberYin-Yang: Participated in audio KarmaFeatured: system

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 51 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 43 times

I did not realize I had a ground loop hum until I got a M-500t mkII from Rich. The sound from the amp was awesome but the hum I could hear on the floor above it was so loud. It would change with humidity, sometimes being tolerable. I could not solve the problem so Rich resold it for me. When I went back to my M 1.5t I had no problem with the hum. I couldn't catch one of Rich's Amp's the right time since they go so fast. I did get a M 1.0t mkII and an opt002 with the Blue LEDS. Once in place they both had the same hum but not quite as loud. I went back over my total system and found nothing out of place and all power plugs were connected to a Monster Power Center HTS5000. I then remembered some of the things Rich had told me and read an article from the following link: http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/. I disconnected the comcast cable from the DVR and the hum had practically disappeared. I had it running directly from the wall to the DVR. I have since run it from the wall outlet to the HTS5000 RF input. The DVR is now connected to the RF output on the HTS5000. Problem solved. Too bad that M-500t mkII is gone. I loved the sound quality even more then the M 1.0t mkII and opt002, but I am just happy the hum is gone. Hopefully this will help someone else that may be living with a ground loop hum caused by a Cable TV RF line.

By the way I am running both M 1.0 mkII's. The opt002 I use for my main fronts. The other I bridged and is running my center channel. Talk about clean and spacious sound; I love it.
Sponsor

RichP714Offline
#2 Posted: Friday, October 22, 2010 5:24:53 AM(UTC)

Send to facebookSend to DelisciousSend to StumbleuponDigg thisSend by emailSend to Addthis
RichP714

Medals:
Yin Yang: Black Pearl device for multiple award; participated in audio KarmaZeroPointe: Black Pearl device for multiple award; audio tools ownerBill D modified: audio equipment owner

Groups: Dev, Retired

Was thanked: 1089 time(s) in 653 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 446 times

I'm glad you finally got your ground loop sorted; enjoy!
Enjoy!

-
------http://zeropointe.thecarversite.com----------------------http://carvermk2.com---------------

weitrhinoOffline
#3 Posted: Friday, October 22, 2010 3:50:35 PM(UTC)

weitrhino

Medals:
Senior: Black Pearl device for multiple award; senior memberYin Yang: Black Pearl device for multiple award; participated in audio KarmaCee-Bang!: donated to fund CARVER site! hosting
Featured: systemCarver modified: Carver mk II, or self-modified ownerMusic: extensive, varied collection

Groups: Resident

Was thanked: 390 time(s) in 298 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 396 times

Maddmaster wrote:
I did not realize I had a ground loop hum until I got a M-500t mkII from Rich. ...........[EDIT].......... I then remembered some of the things Rich had told me and read an article from the following link: http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/. I disconnected the comcast cable from the DVR and the hum had practically disappeared. I had it running directly from the wall to the DVR. 

What is your incoming cable service using for ground near point of entry?  It should be bonded to your power neutral as should your bell service, thereby creating a 'zero difference of potential' for all three services.  Anything that bridges them elsewhere, like the cable connecting to the DVR which is connected to the wall a/c, should have the same potential still.  If Comcast has no ground, or is on a separate grounding rod, have them come and bring this up to NEC requirements.

Sorry you lost out on an M500t MkII over this! 
Main System:180 Tube Monoblocks, ALS Plats, Oppo BDP-93, TD-1400,
TX-11b, Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Preamp, C-9, Dual CS 505-1

Bedroom System: M500t, DTL-200, C-16, TX-11a

In Reserve: Sunfire Ultimate Receiver, M500 MkII, AV-634 (2), TD-1440

Blue Mouth Promotions LLC Where the music matters most!
MaddmasterOffline
#4 Posted: Saturday, October 23, 2010 4:00:19 AM(UTC)

Maddmaster

Medals:

You haven't been gone from Baltimore that long yet. I know you remember Comcast. LOL Thanks I will have them come out and ground the cable line correctly. How do you like your knew home?
weitrhinoOffline
#5 Posted: Saturday, October 23, 2010 4:50:10 AM(UTC)

weitrhino

Medals:
Senior: Black Pearl device for multiple award; senior memberYin Yang: Black Pearl device for multiple award; participated in audio KarmaCee-Bang!: donated to fund CARVER site! hosting
Featured: systemCarver modified: Carver mk II, or self-modified ownerMusic: extensive, varied collection

Maddmaster wrote:
You haven't been gone from Baltimore that long yet. I know you remember Comcast. LOL Thanks I will have them come out and ground the cable line correctly. How do you like your knew home?

So I take it your cable ground is improper or non-existant?

I've been gone for about 10 weeks so far and haven't wanted to look back at all.  Once I get a few more things in place I'll post some pics of my new audio room. 

MaddmasterOffline
#6 Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2010 4:16:30 AM(UTC)

Maddmaster

Medals:

Nonexistent is an under statement. The hum was so loud; 50 and sometimes 60 dB. Everything sounds so much cleaner now that it's gone. I have found myself listening to my music and loosing track of time. Before I realized it the pass 3 nights it was also 5 A.M. before I shut everything down so I could sleep. Tonight is going to be another one. 
weitrhinoOffline
#7 Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2010 3:49:06 PM(UTC)

weitrhino

Medals:

Maddmaster wrote:
Nonexistent is an under statement. The hum was so loud; 50 and sometimes 60 dB. Everything sounds so much cleaner now that it's gone. I have found myself listening to my music and loosing track of time. Before I realized it the pass 3 nights it was also 5 A.M. before I shut everything down so I could sleep. Tonight is going to be another one. 

The above makes me thin you are talking simply about the hum now being non-existent, whereas I was talking about your cable ground possibly not existing.  If it doesn't, you'd better get one put in.  Ideally it would be bonded with power neutral via a splitbolt, secondarily it can share power's own grounding electrode by using it's own separate hardware clamp.  And lastly it could be tied to an electrically conductive cold water pipe provided power also uses it for grounding.  The pipe must not have any PVC interruptions prior to tying into incoming city water. 

RobertGOffline
#8 Posted: Monday, October 25, 2010 3:01:10 AM(UTC)

RobertG

Medals:
Senior: memberFeatured: systemCarver modified: Black Pearl device for multiple award; Carver mk II, or self-modified owner
Bill D modified: audio equipment owner

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 37 times

I am also currently dealing with a ground loop hum with my setup in my work location apartment  .   Not enough energy to solve it yet!  
HT System:
Sunfire: TGP-V Preamp Controller, Sunfire Signature 10" 2,700 Watt Sub
Carver Amps: M1.5t, M1.0t(2){Converted into MkII opt.2 by Rich 2011}, M500t (3)(refit by BILLD 2010)
Carver Other: Carver Loud Speaker Controller ECU-s black 44839C, CD Player: (2) Models SD/A-36 & DTL50, Tuner- TX11a
Other: Scott turntable PS-67a, LG Blueray BD37D, DISH HD Satellite Receiver VIP 612 DVR, Monster Power HTS 5100 & M-8x Furman Power Centers
HD TV: Sony Bravia 55" mounted on stand
Speakers: B&W 804's, Carver 5.1 Series Dipoles, Carver 5.1 Series Rears, Carver passive sub 2nd sub (amp dead-using M1.5t), Custom made speakers for side axis channel

Downstairs System
Carver Amps: TFM 15CB(2)FL-FR, M1.0t Center bi-amped (Refit by Angelo)
Carver Other: Carver CD player model XXX
Other:Sunfire TGR-3 Receiver/Controller, Carver Loud Speaker Controller ECU-s silver, Grant Tube Buffer, Sony BPD 6570 Blueray, Panasonic CD Changer, Inline Graphic Eq.
Speakers: B&W 602.5 S3's for front and centers, B&W 602.5 S2's for rear, Sony 8": active Sub, RCA mini's for sides
HD TV: Samsung 42" LCD

Kids systems/Game Room/Workout Room/Surplus
Carver Amps: M200t, PM300, PM1200
Carver Pre-Amps: C1, CT-17, C9
Carver Receiver: Largest model
XBOX Game Room Setup: RCA 5.1 Receiver, XBox 360 (2), Toshiba 50" Projection TV, Sony 5.1 & Custom made speakers
Others: Downstairs-Sony DVPNSTTH Dual layer DVD player, Garage: AKAI 50W receiver for workout room with Ipod, Sony Rear HT speakers as mains, Apple HiFI speakers (2) for on the go music
HD TV: Downstairs TV Sony 42" 42LD450

Good sounding music is a gift you give yourself, that continues to give and give!
MaddmasterOffline
#9 Posted: Monday, October 25, 2010 3:31:29 AM(UTC)

Maddmaster

Medals:

I called comcast last night to have them come out to ground the cable. Hopefully soon. Otherwise I know I am vulnerable if my system takes a hit through the cable line.
zumbiniOffline
#10 Posted: Monday, October 25, 2010 3:47:58 AM(UTC)

zumbini

Medals:
Senior: Black Pearl device for multiple award; senior memberSite Builder: Black Pearl device for multiple award; major contributor to the Carver site! community.Yin Yang: Black Pearl device for multiple award; participated in audio Karma
Cee-Bang!: donated to fund CARVER site! hostingFeatured: systemBill D modified: audio equipment owner
DIY: master builderTunesmith: master sleuthMusic: extensive, varied collection
Greeter: pearl device

Was thanked: 1808 time(s) in 1347 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 995 times

IIWY I would disconnect it from your stereo system until it's properly grounded.
An ounce of prevention is worth a ton of cure....
Main System
Carver Gear: C-11 (BillD-modified, w/balanced outs), M-500 (refit by BillD), M-500t(x2) (refit by BillD), M-1.0t (MK2/opt2), SD/A 490t, TX-11b
Other Electronics: Behringer Super-X Pro CX3400, Behringer Ultragraph FBQ3102, Furman PS-8R-II, Nikko NPS-1, Teac C-3RX, Technics SL-D303
Speakers: Legacy Audio Custom Super Satellites (new drivers and biamp-able XOs 2010), Legacy Audio Custom Subwoofers (reconed 2010)

Office System: C-2 (modified by BillD, w/balanced outs), DTL-50, M-200t, TX-2, Musical Fidelity X-10D, Design Acoustics DA-30 (DA-20LF sub w/4 DA-10 satellites, sub reconed 2000)

Workshop System: MXR-130 Receiver, DTL-50 CDP, Design Acoustics DA-30 (DA-20LF sub w/2 DA-10 satellites, sub reconed 2010)

Son's System: CT-Seven, DTL-200 MKII, M-1.5t (DIY recap 2011), Hitachi PS-38 (TT), Klipsch KG2.5 speakers, PSB Century Subsonic 2i powered sub

Not In Use or Need Repair: Aphex 124A, Denon DCM-35 (CDC), Teac X10R (RTR), Technics SL-1200MK1 (TT), Yamaha CDX-820 (CDP)

weitrhino wrote:
Rss Feed Atom Feed