CARVER site! Mobile

Featured System                

Carver audio forum, free Carver manuals, Carver audio information, Carver audio repair, Carver specifications, Carver modification, Carver upgrade, Carver amplifiers, Carver amplifier, Carver amp, Carver home audio, Carver hifiNow Playing

Now Playing: Duran Duran "All You Need Is Now"
             Carver audio forum, free Carver manuals, Carver audio information, Carver audio repair, Carver specifications, Carver modification, Carver upgrade, Carver amplifiers, Carver amplifier, Carver amp, Carver home audio, Carver hifi
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New foam strips for AL-III and AL-III+ Speakers
kve777Offline
#1 Posted: Thursday, October 6, 2011 7:47:32 PM(UTC)

Send to facebookSend to DelisciousSend to StumbleuponDigg thisSend by emailSend to Addthis
kve777

Medals:
Senior: Black Pearl device for multiple award; senior memberSamaritan: exemplifies the spirit of Rahu, dispositor of KarmaSite Builder: Black Pearl device for multiple award; major contributor to the Carver site! community.
Yin Yang: Black Pearl device for multiple award; participated in audio KarmaCee-Bang!: donated to fund CARVER site! hostingDIY: master builder

Groups: Resident

Was thanked: 588 time(s) in 427 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 222 times

I bought a pair of AL-III's last year, but my new house in NJ doesn't have the space to use them properly, so I have to sell them. Anyway, the foam strips were shot when I got them, so I had bought a full 4' x 6' sheet of 1/4" foam to replace them. Paid $45.00. There is an eBay guy who wants $50.00 for just the two 3-1/2" wide strips. Anyway I decided to finally install them, so I can sell them. This is what you see happen, the foam crumbles to the touch-

So I got out the sheet of foam, but wait! How to cut it? I'd never get a straight enough cut with scissors, this stuff is so springy, it'd be like cutting, well, a sheet of springy, stretchy foam. No straight lines.
Then I thought, they need to be 3-1/2" wide...what else is 3-1/2" wide? OK, 2x4's! I put one 2x4 on the ground, put the foam on it, near the edge. Then I carefully put another on top and sliced down the edges with a utility knife.

Viola! A perfectly useful 3-1/2" strip of speaker foam. Now- how to remove the old stuff? Very carefully! Just gently pull the old stuff out of the edges, a little at a time. It will be messy, so do this with some kind of drop cloth or newspapers on the floor. The badges(if still there) will peel right off. They are fragile, be cautious. Put the aside.

You may need to get some debris out of the cracks, be careful. Don't use steel tools, like a screwdriver or knife, the ribbon magnets will suck it right in and damage the ribbon. I used a bent piece of copper wire with a neat handle fabricated by brother RodH, for some strange tweak he came across...I think it works better as a foam removal/installation tool. Thanks Rod!

The new foam gets tucked into the top first, just a 1/2" or so, then tucked carefully into the edges smoothing as you go down, don't tug or it will come out of the top.
 At the bottom, just trim with a pair of scissors...
Glue the badge on. I use 3M Automotive Plastic and Emblem Adhesive, you can get it auto parts stores. I know it won't eat the foam. I use it for speaker foam surround replacement.

All done with one, repeat as necessary.

I was able to make 5 more pairs from the 4x6 sheet, anybody here need some? $20 bucks per pair. Includes shipping to US addresses, International will be about $5-$10 more.
More speakers than brains.
1 user thanked kve777 for this useful post.
RichP714 on 10/6/2011(UTC)
Sponsor

#2 Posted: Thursday, October 6, 2011 10:17:04 PM(UTC)

Send to facebookSend to DelisciousSend to StumbleuponDigg thisSend by emailSend to Addthis

Groups:

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)

Nice!

Foam installation tools are only $20 BTW
zumbiniOffline
#4 Posted: Thursday, October 6, 2011 10:40:05 PM(UTC)

zumbini

Medals:
Senior: Black Pearl device for multiple award; senior memberSite Builder: Black Pearl device for multiple award; major contributor to the Carver site! community.Yin Yang: Black Pearl device for multiple award; participated in audio Karma
Cee-Bang!: donated to fund CARVER site! hostingFeatured: systemBill D modified: audio equipment owner
DIY: master builderTunesmith: master sleuthMusic: extensive, varied collection
Greeter: pearl device

Was thanked: 1807 time(s) in 1347 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 993 times

Why spend $20 when a plastic putty knife will do the trick for $3?
Or use one of those temporary AAA cards they mail out 5 times a year and pay nada.

Nice job Kevin! 
Main System
Carver Gear: C-11 (BillD-modified, w/balanced outs), M-500 (refit by BillD), M-500t(x2) (refit by BillD), M-1.0t (MK2/opt2), SD/A 490t, TX-11b
Other Electronics: Behringer Super-X Pro CX3400, Behringer Ultragraph FBQ3102, Furman PS-8R-II, Nikko NPS-1, Teac C-3RX, Technics SL-D303
Speakers: Legacy Audio Custom Super Satellites (new drivers and biamp-able XOs 2010), Legacy Audio Custom Subwoofers (reconed 2010)

Office System: C-2 (modified by BillD, w/balanced outs), DTL-50, M-200t, TX-2, Musical Fidelity X-10D, Design Acoustics DA-30 (DA-20LF sub w/4 DA-10 satellites, sub reconed 2000)

Workshop System: MXR-130 Receiver, DTL-50 CDP, Design Acoustics DA-30 (DA-20LF sub w/2 DA-10 satellites, sub reconed 2010)

Son's System: CT-Seven, DTL-200 MKII, M-1.5t (DIY recap 2011), Hitachi PS-38 (TT), Klipsch KG2.5 speakers, PSB Century Subsonic 2i powered sub

Not In Use or Need Repair: Aphex 124A, Denon DCM-35 (CDC), Teac X10R (RTR), Technics SL-1200MK1 (TT), Yamaha CDX-820 (CDP)

weitrhino wrote:
kve777Offline
#3 Posted: Thursday, October 6, 2011 10:42:46 PM(UTC)

kve777

Medals:
Senior: Black Pearl device for multiple award; senior memberSamaritan: exemplifies the spirit of Rahu, dispositor of KarmaSite Builder: Black Pearl device for multiple award; major contributor to the Carver site! community.
Yin Yang: Black Pearl device for multiple award; participated in audio KarmaCee-Bang!: donated to fund CARVER site! hostingDIY: master builder

RodH;75754 wrote:
Nice!

Foam installation tools are only $20 BTW
I'll include one FREE with the first 3 orders!(Can't find one)Just ask!
#5 Posted: Thursday, October 6, 2011 10:49:18 PM(UTC)

Groups:

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)

zumbini;75757 wrote:
Why spend $20 when a plastic putty knife will do the trick for $3?
Or use one of those temporary AAA cards they mail out 5 times a year and pay nada.

Nice job Kevin! 
Killjoy!
kingmanOffline
#6 Posted: Friday, October 7, 2011 1:54:22 AM(UTC)

kingman

Medals:
Yin Yang: Black Pearl device for multiple award; participated in audio KarmaGreeter: most welcoming to new members

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 171 time(s) in 146 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 40 times

Nice job kve!!! I really like my AL III's. How bout U????
ROCKIN THRU LIFE ONE BEER AT A TIME!
mike eckertOffline
#8 Posted: Friday, October 7, 2011 11:21:47 AM(UTC)

Groups: Novice

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I cut my new strips on the wifes poly sewers cutting pad and used her rotary blade and plastic straight edge. After removeing the old strips, used a plastic kitchen bowl scraaper to install the new ones.                                   
  kve777---I noticed a couple of spots that have had some light rubbing that shows up as worn spots on the oak boards.  A little Minwax Golden oak 210B stain on a rag, rubbed over the areas should make them vanish.  Even some Old English scratch cover for light wood would probably do the trick. 
  My pair of Carver 111s sound really astonishing.  I have a pair of Acoustat Spectra 11s that sound close to the Carvers but the Carvers are WAY better looking and seem to have a more pronounced top end.  The Acoustats beat the AL111s down low.  They are both very nice to listen to.
kve777Offline
#7 Posted: Friday, October 7, 2011 11:30:21 AM(UTC)

kve777

Medals:

kingman;75775 wrote:
Nice job kve!!! I really like my AL III's. How bout U????
Thanks! I like 'em, just no room to keep them...
martin1970Offline
#9 Posted: Friday, October 7, 2011 5:37:53 PM(UTC)

martin1970

Medals:
Site Builder: major contributor to the Carver site! community.Cee-Bang!: donated to fund CARVER site! hosting

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 100 time(s) in 62 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 49 times

kve777;75735 wrote:
 Now- how to remove the old stuff? 
 You may need to get some debris out of the cracks, be careful. Don't use steel tools, like a screwdriver or knife, the ribbon magnets will suck it right in and damage the ribbon. I used a bent piece of copper wire with a neat handle fabricated by brother RodH, for some strange tweak he came across...I think it works better as a foam removal/installation tool. Thanks Rod!

Would a shop vac with one of those upholstery brush attachments make this any easier?
kve777Offline
#10 Posted: Friday, October 7, 2011 5:57:39 PM(UTC)

kve777

Medals:

martin1970;75809 wrote:
kve777;75735 wrote:
 Now- how to remove the old stuff? 

Would a shop vac with one of those upholstery brush attachments make this any easier?
Not sure if I want the bristles contacting the ribbon...gravity gets the debris to the ground pretty good, that's where the shop-vac comes in handy.
Rss Feed Atom Feed