CARVER site! Mobile

Featured System                

Carver audio forum, free Carver manuals, Carver audio information, Carver audio repair, Carver specifications, Carver modification, Carver upgrade, Carver amplifiers, Carver amplifier, Carver amp, Carver home audio, Carver hifiNow Playing

Now Playing: Trey Anastasio
             Carver audio forum, free Carver manuals, Carver audio information, Carver audio repair, Carver specifications, Carver modification, Carver upgrade, Carver amplifiers, Carver amplifier, Carver amp, Carver home audio, Carver hifi
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

27 Pages123>»
One-of-a-kind Carver Silver Signature build
Dr KOffline
#1 Posted: Friday, August 3, 2012 4:48:54 AM(UTC)

Send to facebookSend to DelisciousSend to StumbleuponDigg thisSend by emailSend to Addthis

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Hello everyone! My first time on this site, but a fan of Bob Carver.  I would like to start my journey into this build by sharing my experiences with you here.  

Several years ago when Bob was selling his Cherry 180s on ebay, I contacted him to build me a pair with some modifications.  I had Tubular Joe install V-Cap tin foil teflon output coupling caps, Furutech RCAs, Vampire copper binding posts, and OFCC power cord with Furutech tech termination over the standard "vintage" parts.  More importantly, my Cherry 180s have the vintage pie wound transformer.  For comparison, I also have pair of the output transformerless (OTL) Atma-Sphere M60 mk3.1 with upgraded copper V-Cap input coupling caps, power supply upgrade, and Caddock resistor package.  At the time, the M60s were several thousand dollars more than the Cherry 180s.  My speakers are 89 dB efficient 2-way dynamic designs with minimal impedance of  5.8 Ohms over a narrow band. The crossover is built with Dueland CAST copper PIO caps, CAST resistors, and custom 8 gauge scatter wound inductors wired with custom silver ribbon wires.  They are one of best 2-way speakers I have ever heard after a 3 year search.  I purchased the M60s because my speaker designer feels they are one of the two best amps for my speakers.  On the contrary, I found the Cherry 180s to have more dynamics (both micro/macro), much better lower end extension and punch, and better sound staging and imaging.  They just sounded more real to me.  This may be in part due to the higher power of the Cherry 180s, but I listen to music in the 80 to 85 dB range with dynamic peaks in the low 90 dBs.  The M60s 60 watts handles this without problem.  The M60s have smoother upper midrange and high frequency extension, possibly due to their OTL design.  The Cherry 180s are just as transparent, but compared to the M60s, I found the upper midrange and highs to be a little strident and timbre/tonality slightly less authentic.  

However, I see the tremendous potential of the Cherry 180s.  If you look inside these amps, you will not find any audiophile brand parts.  This is not necessarily good or bad.  However, I am convinced using higher quality parts, whether audiophile or non-audiophile parts, could improve the performance to surpass the most highly touted amps in Stereophile or TAS.  I approached Bob about building my dream amp based on the Cherry 180s.  I decided call it the Carver Silver Signature (CSS). With Bob's blessing and help, this is what I have come up with for the build. 

1) Transformer, the heart of any transformer coupled tube amp.  This is where the silver comes in.  It will  be a NICKLE CORE, SILVER WIRE PIE WOUND, POSSIBLY C-CORE transformer.   If designed appropriately, silver can sound astonishingly real without the high frequency brightness most associate with this metal.  The nickle for higher performance (aka "nickle magic" for those of you who have heard nickle core trannies) without having the transformer weigh a ton.  It will be the center piece of the amp and will have clear transformer cover.  Who will build them?  You'll have to wait, but it will be beautiful.

2)  Output coupling caps can make a significant improvement in sound.  I have decided on Dueland CAST PIO copper foil caps.  I have these in my speakers, and they are hard to beat.  I think they are even better than teflon caps as Duelands sound more natural to these ears.  The small value signal caps will be polystyrene caps.

3)  Power supply caps will be polypropylene film caps.  There will be NO electrolytic caps anywhere in this amp.  Besides sounding more open, faster, and tighter, film caps will be more reliable and probably outlast me.  However, this will increase the size of the power supply several fold.  The largest 760 microF/900V caps measure 7.3 (H) x 4.6 (Diameter) inches. The reservoir capacitance will be twice that of the Cherry 180 or Black Beauty.  The large value caps will be bypassed with 0.1 microF film caps.  To keep the weight reasonable enough to handle by one person, the amps will be a 4 chassis design with separate amplification and power supply chassis for each channel.

4)  Resistors will be mostly PRPs (very affordable with clean transparent sound).  However, in key low power locations in the input/first amplification stage, I am considering the naked Vishay Z201 Z foil resistors (TX2575).  Expensive so I will use them where they count.  The resistors for the power tubes will likely be carbon film caps.

5) Chassis design.  Other than four chassis, I don't have any more info to give. 

6) Remotely controlled stepped attenuator at the input.  Either DACT or Goldpoint.  IME, this configuration is better than any active or passive preamp between the source and the amp, as long as the impedances are compatible.

I would appreciate your contribution to this build.  I am open to any suggestions.   Some of you may consider this build excessive in this economy.  I do not mean to offend anyone.  I have one vice in life, and this is it.  I don't drink, smoke, do drugs, gamble,...or frequent strip clubs (well, may be once in a blue moon) .  So give me some freedom to enjoy my hard earned income.

As many of you may already know, Bob is one of the most cordial, enthusiastic, and giving person I have come across in audio.  Over several years, I have come to consider him to be a true friend, although I have never met him in person.  He is proverbial unicorn of high end audio.

I will post pictures and comments as this build proceeds.  Thank you for reading my post.

1 user thanked Dr K for this useful post.
galaxyoilcan on 8/3/2012(UTC)
Sponsor

mbskeamOffline
#2 Posted: Friday, August 3, 2012 5:02:22 AM(UTC)

Send to facebookSend to DelisciousSend to StumbleuponDigg thisSend by emailSend to Addthis
mbskeam

Was thanked: 67 time(s) in 48 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 25 times

hello....

good luck on your project.
mbskeam

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/mbskeam/

I look to the sun,... yet I feel not it's warmth

Sie werden meine Flutwelle, I werden Ihre Sandkorn

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)
Dr KOffline
#3 Posted: Friday, August 3, 2012 5:06:26 AM(UTC)

Thanks mbskeam.  Ah...I like your avitar.
zumbiniOffline
#4 Posted: Friday, August 3, 2012 5:14:55 AM(UTC)

zumbini

Medals:
Senior: Black Pearl device for multiple award; senior memberSite Builder: Black Pearl device for multiple award; major contributor to the Carver site! community.Yin Yang: Black Pearl device for multiple award; participated in audio Karma
Cee-Bang!: donated to fund CARVER site! hostingFeatured: systemBill D modified: audio equipment owner
DIY: master builderTunesmith: master sleuthMusic: extensive, varied collection
Greeter: pearl device

Was thanked: 1229 time(s) in 961 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 818 times

Howdy Dr K and welcome to the forum. 
Sounds like a very interesting and unique project you've embarked on.
I'd love to see some photos and read your review when it's completed. 
As Bob likes to say "It's all about the music". 
Main System
Carver Gear: C-11 (BillD-modified, w/balanced outs), M-500 (refit by BillD), M-500t(x2) (refit by BillD), M-1.0t (MK2/opt2), SD/A 490t, TX-11b
Other Electronics: Behringer Super-X Pro CX3400, Behringer Ultragraph FBQ3102, Furman PS-8R-II, Nikko NPS-1, Teac C-3RX, Technics SL-D303
Speakers: Legacy Audio Custom Super Satellites (new drivers and biamp-able XOs 2010), Legacy Audio Custom Subwoofers (reconed 2010)

Mini Carver Office System: C-2 (modified by BillD, w/balanced outs), DTL-50, M-200t, TX-2, Musical Fidelity X-10D, Design Acoustics DA-30 (DA-20LF sub w/4 DA-10 satellites, sub reconed 2000)

Workshop System: MXR-130 Receiver, DTL-50 CDP, Design Acoustics DA-30 (DA-20LF sub w/2 DA-10 satellites, sub reconed 2010)

Son's System: CT-Seven, DTL-200 MKII, M-1.5t (DIY recap 2011), Hitachi PS-38 (TT), Klipsch KG2.5 speakers, PSB Century Subsonic 2i powered sub

Band PA System: Aphex 124A, Behringer PMP3000 and DCX2496, Carver PM-1200(x3) and PT2400, Seismic Audio FL-155P(mains)/PWS-15(fill)/SA-15(monitors), DIY 18" Subwoofers (in progress)

Not In Use or Need Repair: Denon DCM-35 (CDC), Teac X10R (RTR), Technics SL-1200MK1 (TT), Yamaha CDX-820 (CDP)

weitrhino wrote:
Dr KOffline
#5 Posted: Friday, August 3, 2012 5:23:41 AM(UTC)

Thanks for the welcome Zumbini.  It is definately a dream project for me.  I will do a review at the end of this journey.
Blues PwrOffline
#6 Posted: Friday, August 3, 2012 5:24:55 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Senior: Black Pearl device for multiple award; senior memberSite Builder: Black Pearl device for multiple award; major contributor to the Carver site! community.Cee-Bang!: donated to fund CARVER site! hosting
Bill D modified: audio equipment ownerMusic: extensive, varied collectionGreeter: pearl device

Groups: Resident, Search Party

Was thanked: 187 time(s) in 167 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 181 times

Welcome to the forum, Dr. K, glad you decided to share your build with us.
I am looking forward to following it closely.
Please be forewarned we love lots of pictures, when you have some to post.
How about some before and after pictures...........

What types of music and bands / artists will you be listening to predominately on this system ?

Blues Pwr   
"TOO MUCH IS NOT ENOUGH"

"How Can You Be In Two Places At Once When Your Not Anywhere At All"

Carver Equipment:
Amps: M-500 X2 (both rebuilt by BILLD), M1.5t, A-400x, M400, M-400a,
M-200t x2, TFM-15
Pre-Amps: C-1(W/BillD Mod By Dennis Miller), CT-23, CT-27
CD: DTL 200 MK II, SD/A 360,
Other Carver Gear: C-9, Z-5 x2, Z-1

Other Gear: Harman Kardon Citation Sixteen
Yaquin SD-CD3 Tube Buffer W/Tung Sol 6SN7GTB Tubes
Grant Fidelity B-283 Tube Buffer W/ Raytheon Tubes NOS 1945 JRP 6AK5/5654 BBE 2002R
DBX 222, Panamax 1000, Monster Power HTS 3500 MKII

Sony Str-D935, Sony CDP-CX 350, ADC EQ Soundshaper 2, ADC EQ Soundshaper 2 Mark II, Behringer Super Pro CX 2310, A.R.T. Cleanbox

JVC L-F210 TT, Oppo DV-980H, Pioneer Elite DVD DV-45A,
Pioneer Laserdisc Player: CLD-V-8000, Pioneer RXR RT-707, Phillips CDR 775,
STR-400 65" Equipment Rack W/Custom Shelves

Speakers: Sonic Energy Systems TA-10 Paradox"Super Rhino" Klipsch KLF-10,
Klipsch KSW-12, Klipsch KSC-C1, Advent AS2, AR-15 Sub

Mitsubishi 62" HD WS DLP
Dr KOffline
#7 Posted: Friday, August 3, 2012 5:33:32 AM(UTC)

Thanks Blues.  I will post before and after pics, including pics of the individual components before they're installed.  My music taste includes everything BUT hip hop/rap and most country music.  I listen to a lot of female vocals, whether pop, classical, jazz, etc.  Also a healthy dose of instrumental jazz, classical including choral, and classic and heavy metal rock.  I'm a guitar junky too.
_Xanvier_Offline
#8 Posted: Friday, August 3, 2012 5:50:41 AM(UTC)

_Xanvier_

Medals:
Yin Yang: Black Pearl device for multiple award; participated in audio KarmaCee-Bang!: donated to fund CARVER site! hostingBill D modified: audio equipment owner

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 31 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 46 times

Welcome to the site
Carver C-1 BillD mod By wrf
Carver m1.0t x3
Carver PM-1200
Sansui SR-4050C
Celestion Ditton 15
Mission 762i
oldtexasdogOffline
#9 Posted: Friday, August 3, 2012 9:05:42 AM(UTC)

oldtexasdog

Medals:
Site Builder: major contributor to the Carver site! community.Yin Yang: Black Pearl device for multiple award; participated in audio KarmaCee-Bang!: donated to fund CARVER site! hosting
Featured: systemCarver modified: Carver mk II, or self-modified ownerBill D modified: audio equipment owner
DIY: master builderMusic: extensive, varied collection

Groups: Resident

Was thanked: 128 time(s) in 114 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 84 times

Welcome Dr K to the site. I for one (as many others) will be waiting anxiously for more info on this build!
There are two holes in Daddy's head where all the money goes.
BluesMan57Offline
#10 Posted: Friday, August 3, 2012 12:59:30 PM(UTC)

BluesMan57

Medals:
Senior: Black Pearl device for multiple award; senior memberSite Builder: Black Pearl device for multiple award; major contributor to the Carver site! community.Cee-Bang!: donated to fund CARVER site! hosting
Featured: systemCarver modified: Black Pearl device for multiple award; Carver mk II, or self-modified ownerBill D modified: audio equipment owner
Tunesmith: master sleuthMusic: extensive, varied collectionGreeter: pearl device

Groups: Resident, Search Party

Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 111 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 175 times

Welcome to the forum Dr. K
Quite the project sir. Please keep us posted on your progress........
" Facts Are Meaningless They Can Be Used To Prove Anything "

Main System : Carver M4.0t / M1.5t (DennisM ReCap 2014) / M1.0t MKII OPT2 x 2 (By RichP) / TFM 15cb / C-9 ,Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer, Pioneer Elite VSX 80TX , YAQIN SD-CD3 Tube Buffer
Klipsch Cornwall II's, KG 4's, Academy Center Channel, KG 2.5's Rear Speakers W/Passive Sub.
Klipsch,Paradigm Subwoofers
Sony 400 disc CD Player, Yamaha EQ- 550,Pioneer DV 563A,OPPO DV-980H
Panamax M5100EX

2 Channel System : Carver C-1(BillD/RichP mods by DennisM),M1.0t, M500t MKII (Mod By Daddyjt) M-400a x 2 (Retired for now) ,Klipsch Forte II's,Original Large Advent Speakers , YamahaYP-B2 TT W/LM-15 Ortofon Cart.,Music Hall mmf 2.2 TT,YAQIN CD2-6J1 Tube Buffer (W/NOS Mullard 6ak5w tubes) ,SAE 5000 .

Rss Feed Atom Feed