CARVER site! Mobile

Featured System                

Carver audio forum, free Carver manuals, Carver audio information, Carver audio repair, Carver specifications, Carver modification, Carver upgrade, Carver amplifiers, Carver amplifier, Carver amp, Carver home audio, Carver hifiNow Playing

Now Playing: Peter Gabriel "Security"
             Carver audio forum, free Carver manuals, Carver audio information, Carver audio repair, Carver specifications, Carver modification, Carver upgrade, Carver amplifiers, Carver amplifier, Carver amp, Carver home audio, Carver hifi
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Carver Black Beauty 305 Power Amplifier
RichP714Offline
#1 Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 7:28:11 PM(UTC)

Send to facebookSend to DelisciousSend to StumbleuponDigg thisSend by emailSend to Addthis
RichP714

Medals:
Yin Yang: Black Pearl device for multiple award; participated in audio KarmaZeroPointe: Black Pearl device for multiple award; audio tools ownerBill D modified: audio equipment owner

Groups: Dev, Retired

Was thanked: 1050 time(s) in 632 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 441 times

2 users thanked RichP714 for this useful post.
zumbini on 12/18/2012(UTC), soulofsound on 12/20/2012(UTC)
Sponsor

kingmanOffline
#2 Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 10:37:06 PM(UTC)

Send to facebookSend to DelisciousSend to StumbleuponDigg thisSend by emailSend to Addthis
kingman

Medals:
Yin Yang: Black Pearl device for multiple award; participated in audio KarmaGreeter: most welcoming to new members

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 165 time(s) in 141 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 40 times

"in fact before I’d even turned the power switch on—Bob Carver’s Phase Linear 400 was my favorite amplifier. I’d gone through my first Audio Research phase, owned D75s, D76s, and D76a’s, but the Phase 400 seemed to me (at least at the time) to have most of what the D76s had plus superior resolution, superior dynamics, superior transient response, superior power, and far superior bass. It was a great amplifier, and I should’ve kept it. Let this be a lesson to you: Never trust a review; only trust your ears."....MAN!!!! I LIKE that accessment!!!!!!!!
ROCKIN THRU LIFE ONE BEER AT A TIME!
dmusokeOffline
#5 Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 2012 11:52:19 PM(UTC)

Groups: Novice

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 8 times

I wonder why he voiced it to be non-transparent or non-neutral? Anyways, congrats to Bob for the review. Have you observed that the power bandwisth is 22Hz to 28kHz and not say 5 Hz to 70kHz? As stated, it puts out 300W in the mid-range and 150W at 22Hz and 28kHz. Does this explain the 'weaker' bass and muted highs the reviewer noted?
SteveFordOnline
#6 Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 12:52:00 AM(UTC)

SteveFord

Medals:
Senior: Black Pearl device for multiple award; senior memberModerator: -Site Builder: Black Pearl device for multiple award; major contributor to the Carver site! community.
Yin Yang: Black Pearl device for multiple award; participated in audio KarmaFeatured: systemCarver modified: Black Pearl device for multiple award; Carver mk II, or self-modified owner
Bill D modified: audio equipment ownerJester: -Music: extensive, varied collection

Groups: Moderator

Was thanked: 406 time(s) in 306 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 14 times

That could account for the reported sound.
Jonathan Valin is pretty discerning so if he gives it a Best Buy it's a winner. 
Lots of old junk all over the place.
YardCrapOffline
#3 Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 2:19:32 AM(UTC)

YardCrap

Groups: Novice

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 11 post(s)

Originally Posted by: kingman Go to Quoted Post
"in fact before I’d even turned the power switch on—Bob Carver’s Phase Linear 400 was my favorite amplifier. I’d gone through my first Audio Research phase, owned D75s, D76s, and D76a’s, but the Phase 400 seemed to me (at least at the time) to have most of what the D76s had plus superior resolution, superior dynamics, superior transient response, superior power, and far superior bass. It was a great amplifier, and I should’ve kept it. Let this be a lesson to you: Never trust a review; only trust your ears."....MAN!!!! I LIKE that accessment!!!!!!!!

I have some, but I like to think I am a tunefreak, not a gear head.

Bang for buck or most any way you choose to put it, my favorite is the 400t.

CRAP Is Organic Fertilizer
mbskeamOffline
#7 Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 3:17:45 AM(UTC)

mbskeam

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 71 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 27 times

"As stated, it puts out 300W in the mid-range and 150W at 22Hz and 28kHz. Does this explain the 'weaker' bass and muted highs the reviewer noted?"

where did ya read this?
mbskeam

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/mbskeam/

I look to the sun,... yet I feel not it's warmth

Sie werden meine Flutwelle, I werden Ihre Sandkorn

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)
BalokOffline
#9 Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 3:33:23 AM(UTC)

Balok

Medals:
Senior: Black Pearl device for multiple award; senior memberModerator: -Site Builder: Black Pearl device for multiple award; major contributor to the Carver site! community.
Yin-Yang: Participated in audio KarmaCee-Bang!: donated to fund CARVER site! hostingFeatured: system
Carver modified: Carver mk II, or self-modified ownerDIY: master builderTunesmith: master sleuth
Jester: -Music: extensive, varied collection

Groups: Resident, Moderator

Was thanked: 173 time(s) in 125 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 72 times

He could probably tweak those high frequencies with an interconnect or power cord change.
"ALL THINGS MUST PASS"
RichP714Offline
#8 Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 1:41:36 PM(UTC)

RichP714

Medals:
Yin Yang: Black Pearl device for multiple award; participated in audio KarmaZeroPointe: Black Pearl device for multiple award; audio tools ownerBill D modified: audio equipment owner

Groups: Dev, Retired

Was thanked: 1050 time(s) in 632 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 441 times

Originally Posted by: mbskeam Go to Quoted Post
"As stated, it puts out 300W in the mid-range and 150W at 22Hz and 28kHz. Does this explain the 'weaker' bass and muted highs the reviewer noted?" where did ya read this?

It's not explicitly stated, but freq resp 2Hz-85kHz and power bandwidth 24Hz-28Khz implies that, if you are considering the definition of power bandwidth as 'The frequency range for which half the rated power of an audio amplifier is available at rated distortion'

There's no stated definition (e.g. specified uncertainty(i.e. ±XdB)) but that is the usual one 
Enjoy!

-
------http://zeropointe.thecarversite.com----------------------http://carvermk2.com---------------

mbskeamOffline
#10 Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 8:48:56 PM(UTC)

mbskeam

Was thanked: 113 time(s) in 71 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 27 times

thanks, I did not know this.....

Rich, I'm sure you have forgotten more about electronics than I ever will know..... Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
but I keep trying....Yikes Big Grin
mbskeam

http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a96/mbskeam/

I look to the sun,... yet I feel not it's warmth

Sie werden meine Flutwelle, I werden Ihre Sandkorn

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)
Rss Feed Atom Feed