CARVER site! Mobile

 

  Featured System                
     
Carver audio forum, free Carver manuals, Carver audio information, Carver audio repair, Carver specifications, Carver modification, Carver upgrade, Carver amplifiers, Carver amplifier, Carver amp, Carver home audio, Carver hifiNow Playing

 

Now Playing: Peter Gabriel "Security"
             Carver audio forum, free Carver manuals, Carver audio information, Carver audio repair, Carver specifications, Carver modification, Carver upgrade, Carver amplifiers, Carver amplifier, Carver amp, Carver home audio, Carver hifi
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
Sony ES SS M7 are these worth the price?
RatamahattaOffline
#1 Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2013 11:03:49 PM(UTC)
 
Send to facebookSend to DelisciousSend to StumbleuponDigg thisSend by emailSend to Addthis
Ratamahatta

Medals:
Featured: system

Rank: Capacitor


Groups: Member

Joined: 10/2/2010(UTC)
Posts: 227
Location: Loveland

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 131 times

I am interested in these http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/4067345779.html  I hear nothing but great reviews, and being compared to Wilson Watt puppy I am even more interested. the thing I dont know about is the asking price $650. I know they retailed for 1400 back in 94ish but just don't know if they are worth the price? thoughts? I know its all highly subjective and all but don't want to spend that if I cant even get half of it back when I sell them.
Thanks!  
Sponsor

 

 


 

snowOffline
#2 Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 12:57:04 AM(UTC)
 
Send to facebookSend to DelisciousSend to StumbleuponDigg thisSend by emailSend to Addthis
snow

Medals:


Rank: TO-247L Transistor


Groups: Resident

Joined: 1/14/2009(UTC)
Posts: 1,110
Location: alaska

Was thanked: 273 time(s) in 158 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 150 times

I doubt few of us here have actually heard a pair since they are rare birds but from reading other peoples opinions other than reviews from magazines all say yes they are an outstanding speaker and $650.00 is not a lot of money, supposedly they used all peerless drivers from top to bottom.
 
 
REGARDS SNOW 
1 user thanked snow for this useful post.
Ratamahatta on 9/26/2013(UTC)
RatamahattaOffline
#3 Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 1:17:45 AM(UTC)
 
Send to facebookSend to DelisciousSend to StumbleuponDigg thisSend by emailSend to Addthis
Ratamahatta

Medals:
Featured: system

Rank: Capacitor


Groups: Member

Joined: 10/2/2010(UTC)
Posts: 227
Location: Loveland

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 131 times

OK thanks, I will probably go look and listen Friday cant hurt right? lol. any other opinions or experience would be appreciated.
danowoodOnline
#4 Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 3:18:23 AM(UTC)
 
Send to facebookSend to DelisciousSend to StumbleuponDigg thisSend by emailSend to Addthis
danowood

Medals:
Carver modified: Black Pearl device for multiple award; Carver mk II, or self-modified ownerBill D modified: audio equipment owner

Rank: TO-247L Transistor


Groups: Resident

Joined: 1/6/2013(UTC)
Posts: 1,030
Location: usa (Arm pit of the nation, 35 miles south of the Mistake by The Lake (Chicago) from the state our Gov. make the license plates

Was thanked: 248 time(s) in 177 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 359 times

I quit being a Sony fan anything sometime back.  Although they made and make some decent products the draw back is they will not carry or make replacement parts for long.  It is their mindset that they don't not want their equipment being repaired or restored, they want you to buy new replacements; Therefore, I will not buy Sony anything any longer.
snowOffline
#5 Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 4:14:45 AM(UTC)
 
Send to facebookSend to DelisciousSend to StumbleuponDigg thisSend by emailSend to Addthis
snow

Medals:


Rank: TO-247L Transistor


Groups: Resident

Joined: 1/14/2009(UTC)
Posts: 1,110
Location: alaska

Was thanked: 273 time(s) in 158 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 150 times

danowood;135650 wrote:
I quit being a Sony fan anything sometime back.  Although they made and make some decent products the draw back is they will not carry or make replacement parts for long.  It is their mindset that they don't not want their equipment being repaired or restored, they want you to buy new replacements; Therefore, I will not buy Sony anything any longer.
Every part in those speakers are replaceable today and will be for some time in the future most likely even after we are all dead and gone. Funny how people still buy and treasure things that are 100 years old and older even those parts are no longer being made either huh.
 
 
 
REGARDS SNOW 
DaddyjtOffline
#8 Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 4:27:26 AM(UTC)
 
Send to facebookSend to DelisciousSend to StumbleuponDigg thisSend by emailSend to Addthis
Daddyjt

Medals:
Moderator: -Samaritan: exemplifies the spirit of Rahu, dispositor of KarmaSite Builder: major contributor to the Carver site! community.
Yin Yang: Black Pearl device for multiple award; participated in audio KarmaTechnician: repair specialistCee-Bang!: Black Pearl device for multiple award; your donations help fund CARVER site! hosting
Featured: systemCarver modified: Black Pearl device for multiple award; Carver mk II, or self-modified owner

Rank: TO-247 Transistor


Groups: Moderator, Carver repair team

Joined: 10/17/2012(UTC)
Posts: 2,161
Location: Montana

Was thanked: 744 time(s) in 450 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 1191 times

I had the chance to hear a set many years ago. They were being run with a Bryston amp, and sounded wonderful. I got to listen to Jennifer Warnes The Hunter. I still remember the DEPTH of the soundstage as being amazing....

FWIW
Theater room: Marantz 7005, 2x 1.0t mkII to Infinity Kappa 9s, 1.0t mkII bi-amped to Klipsch RC7 (I know, WAY overkill), A 705x to Klipsch RS7s surrounds, and Klipsch RS7s back. Velodyne DD12, ProJect RPM 1.3 into ProJect tube box S, Oppo BDP 105 & 95, Woo WA6 tube headphone amp, Sony Playstation 3, and Sharp Aquious 70". Monster power center (x2), Doug's interconnects, and Kimber 8tc.

2 channel system: Original Bill D C1, Silver 9t mono blocks, Infinity Kappa 9s, and Oppo 95.

Family room system: Sony ES receiver, A400x, Polk LS 70s, Polk CS 350, Polk LS FX, Sony Blue ray, X Box 360, Wii, Vizeo 55" LED.

Garage system: Pioneer Elite 45x, Infinity Kappa 5s, Ipod interface.

Bench: 3x 500t awaiting mkII, 3x 1.0t awaiting mkII, C1 needing Bill D mods, Pro 2.0t needing refresh, ALIII pair needing some TLC.

Closet: M 500 t Original Bill D refresh, 1.0t Kall mod, M 500 t mk II, TFM 55x (x2), Kappa 8.1 pair, Klipsch RF7 pair.
1 user thanked Daddyjt for this useful post.
Ratamahatta on 9/26/2013(UTC)
ReeseOffline
#6 Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 2:41:33 PM(UTC)
 
Send to facebookSend to DelisciousSend to StumbleuponDigg thisSend by emailSend to Addthis
Reese

Medals:
Senior: Black Pearl device for multiple award; senior memberFeatured: systemBill D modified: audio equipment owner
Music: extensive, varied collection

Rank: TO-39 Transistor


Groups: Resident

Joined: 1/14/2009(UTC)
Posts: 353
Location: Santa Fe, NM

Was thanked: 36 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 28 times

snow;135654 wrote:
danowood;135650 wrote:
I quit being a Sony fan anything sometime back.  Although they made and make some decent products the draw back is they will not carry or make replacement parts for long.  It is their mindset that they don't not want their equipment being repaired or restored, they want you to buy new replacements; Therefore, I will not buy Sony anything any longer.
Every part in those speakers are replaceable today and will be for some time in the future most likely even after we are all dead and gone. Funny how people still buy and treasure things that are 100 years old and older even those parts are no longer being made either huh.
 
 
 
REGARDS SNOW 
 
Well, that may apply to speakers/speaker parts -- but I have to say I was surprised when I sent in my Sony ES top of the line 5-disc CD player for  repair to the Sony repair center due to defunct laser or tracking or something - and got it back with note that Sony could no longer repair it/provide the needed replacement parts!  Top of their line model of a few years back in early 2000's and no way to repair it by factory-repair shop.  They did fix the ES DAT player/recorder though.  Go figure.
Main system: Sunfire Classic Tube Preamp; 2 Carver Silver 7ts, 2 Silver 9ts; bi-amped ALS (Originals upgraded to Platinum), Rane PE15's eq's and Rane AC22 xcrossover; Carver 390t CD carousel; Carver 490t CD player; BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer; C-9 SH; Sony ES tuner and DAT deck; Sony CD copier/burner; Sony dual cassette deck; TEAC 2340R 4 ch r to r tape deck; Dual CS5000 tt, Shure V15 Type V-MR cartridge

Bedroom: AL III+'s pushed by Carver A 500x amp (from BillD) or TFM 55 amp, C-19 tube pre refurbed by BillD, 390t carousel and 490t CD player.

Backup C-16, C-4000t. Kyocera 85w/ch (understated) MOSFET receiver

There's more if the signature block will hold it!
snowOffline
#7 Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 4:13:13 PM(UTC)
 
Send to facebookSend to DelisciousSend to StumbleuponDigg thisSend by emailSend to Addthis
snow

Medals:


Rank: TO-247L Transistor


Groups: Resident

Joined: 1/14/2009(UTC)
Posts: 1,110
Location: alaska

Was thanked: 273 time(s) in 158 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 150 times

Reese;135667 wrote:
snow;135654 wrote:
danowood;135650 wrote:
I quit being a Sony fan anything sometime back.  Although they made and make some decent products the draw back is they will not carry or make replacement parts for long.  It is their mindset that they don't not want their equipment being repaired or restored, they want you to buy new replacements; Therefore, I will not buy Sony anything any longer.
Every part in those speakers are replaceable today and will be for some time in the future most likely even after we are all dead and gone. Funny how people still buy and treasure things that are 100 years old and older even those parts are no longer being made either huh.
 
 
 
REGARDS SNOW 
 
Well, that may apply to speakers/speaker parts -- but I have to say I was surprised when I sent in my Sony ES top of the line 5-disc CD player for  repair to the Sony repair center due to defunct laser or tracking or something - and got it back with note that Sony could no longer repair it/provide the needed replacement parts!  Top of their line model of a few years back in early 2000's and no way to repair it by factory-repair shop.  They did fix the ES DAT player/recorder though.  Go figure.
Sad isnt it? almost all companies now no longer stock parts for longer than their warranty period as part of cost cutting measures, of course most electronics are so cheap to replace that it simply does not make fiiscal sense to do so. Electronic technology changing so fast and consumer desire to have the latest greatest toy has led to this. Why would a company want to stock parts for years to come for a $1500.00 CD player when 3 years down the road you can buy  a CD player that has a better chip in it for less money than it costs the company to repair it?  Most consumers will simply purchase another CD player for $49.95 that sounds better and they don't have to wait 3-4 months for the repair and the shipping costs. Computers are the same way now by the time a computer is worn out or needs repair 4-5 years down the road you can buy a much better performing one for less than the costs to repair the old one. Speakers for the most part have not advanced that much and the drivers are usually made by OEM suppliers like Peerless that supplied the drivers for the Sony speakers which they still have plenty of in stock.
 
 
REGARDS SNOW 
danowoodOnline
#9 Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 9:55:32 PM(UTC)
 
Send to facebookSend to DelisciousSend to StumbleuponDigg thisSend by emailSend to Addthis
danowood

Medals:
Carver modified: Black Pearl device for multiple award; Carver mk II, or self-modified ownerBill D modified: audio equipment owner

Rank: TO-247L Transistor


Groups: Resident

Joined: 1/6/2013(UTC)
Posts: 1,030
Location: usa (Arm pit of the nation, 35 miles south of the Mistake by The Lake (Chicago) from the state our Gov. make the license plates

Was thanked: 248 time(s) in 177 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 359 times

I had to pitch a 5,000.00 tv that had a  great picture and great sound.  The power supply had two bad transistors, 2 bucks a piece and it could not be repaired no parts anywhere to be found, as Sony controled every aspect of that tv circuitry.  They made the transistors and resistors and make them so that you cannot use generics.  The repairman looked for two months everywhere possible, internet and other vendors.  Nadda
SteveFordOffline
#10 Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2013 1:12:04 AM(UTC)
 
Send to facebookSend to DelisciousSend to StumbleuponDigg thisSend by emailSend to Addthis
SteveFord

Medals:
Senior: Black Pearl device for multiple award; senior memberModerator: -Site Builder: Black Pearl device for multiple award; major contributor to the Carver site! community.
Yin Yang: Black Pearl device for multiple award; participated in audio KarmaFeatured: systemCarver modified: Black Pearl device for multiple award; Carver mk II, or self-modified owner
Bill D modified: audio equipment ownerJester: -Music: extensive, varied collection

Rank: TO-264 Transistor


Groups: Moderator

Joined: 12/25/2008(UTC)
Posts: 3,047

Was thanked: 399 time(s) in 301 post(s)
Gave Thanks: 14 times

I have no idea about the speakers but Sony (as a company) is the pits.
Lots of old junk all over the place.
Rss Feed Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
Guest
4 Pages123>»
Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You can create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

CARVER site! theme by Richard G. Pecoraro
Powered by YAF 1.9.5.5 | YAF © 2003-2011, Yet Another Forum.NET
This page was generated in 0.283 seconds.