Zoom

Best of Jalopnik. A daily pause for all you carfreaks out there.

back when I used to own a AE86 I frequented alot Club4AG.com as The Sprinter

A really fun car. I love 'em.

Chris

That gif backwards makes it look like a rubber truck hehehe..... I had to look at a few times before I understood what was going on

It seems Audi has significantly upgraded the TT in recent years, as it used to be on the Golf/Beetle platform.  No more.  

I do like The Smoking Tire channel and ck it out once in a while, although Matt Farah gets on my nerves.  It seems he never really states anything with much merit.  "it gets a bigger turbo, manifolds, exhaust, and catalysts I would expect...."  Ah, no shit sherlock.  How about some research before you get behind the wheel and talk to the camera.  I've had it out with him before posting on Jalopnik, and he's no better there.  Apologies if you're a Farah fan, Rich. eusa_shifty.gif

Oh, here's an RS6 wagon for you viewing pleasure, although you don't see much of it but taillights, as it pulls a liter (1000 cc) crotch rocket from 180 mph and up. jaw_dropper.gif

It seems Audi has significantly upgraded the TT in recent years, as it used to be on the Golf/Beetle platform.  No more.  

Oh, here's an RS6 wagon

We can safely say they have updated the rest of the line, too..., or at least the RS 6 !    d'oh!

Driving downstate today - I hope I don't encounter anything like this, I might piss myself!   Brick wall

.....Matt Farah gets on my nerves...... Apologies if you're a Farah fan, Rich. eusa_shifty.gif

I don't know who the driver is; I'm just a fan of the vehicle (mk1 and mk2 versions at least; the newer mk3 isn't my style; (some says it's more aggressive and masculine. I'm not a fan of the sharper curves (the original bauhaus style does it for me))

Original mk1
wrapkings-stickerfitters-vehicle-wrap-we 

99-07-Audi-TT-MK1-Rear1.jpg 

mk2, still has a nice ass

audi-tt-mk2-07-current-quattro-S193541-1 

But I think the front end and sides lose something the original had

tumblr_mfz334T8Wt1rzx9tdo1_500.jpg 

And the yet to be released mk3 (with the virtual cockpit and laser headlights) I think departs from the original way too much,

Audi_TT_Mk3-01.jpg 

And has a boring ass

audi-tt.2000x1333.Mar-03-2014_15.38.52.8 

I've been in a 97 Mazda mx-6 for 17 yrs; I'm now looking for a mk2 TT S (>2010) which will be my bucket list car 
  • Thank You 2

[...] 
I've been in a 97 Mazda mx-6 for 17 yrs; I'm now looking for a mk2 TT S (>2010) which will be my bucket list car 

Ditto, 2 more years of college tuition payments, and this is on my bucket list too.  

I love the A6 for a daily driver - wife drives our 2006 A6 with 110K miles - still smells new inside, and runs like a champ.  Quattro even handles the snow better than my F150 FWD with big knobby tires. 

[...]
I love the A6 for a daily driver - wife drives our 2006 A6 with 110K miles - still smells new inside, and runs like a champ.  Quattro even handles the snow better than my F150 FWD with big knobby tires. 
I gotta stop drooling.  People confuse it w/ senility.

Are the 06's drive-by-wire?  The one thing I'm not wild about in the newer cars is the ever-increasing reliance on electronics.  Not just for the failure modes, but for the obsolescence.  Parts for older Audis can be harder to come by than say, Merc and BMW.  (Not that your A6 should have anything listed NLA yet.)
  • Thank You 1

[...]
I gotta stop drooling.  People confuse it w/ senility.

Are the 06's drive-by-wire?  The one thing I'm not wild about in the newer cars is the ever-increasing reliance on electronics.  Not just for the failure modes, but for the obsolescence.  Parts for older Audis can be harder to come by than say, Merc and BMW.  (Not that your A6 should have anything listed NLA yet.)

My first A6 was a 2000, which I actually liked better (2.7Turbo - drove back and forth from Chicago to RTP, NC once a month).  The 2006 has more electronics. I took it in the other day for service and they gave me a loaner of a 2014 - they are super electronic. I notice a lot of parts for older Audi's on ebay - from disassemblers, I guess.  My A6 was wired for Sirius SAT radio, but didn't have the receiver.  Audi wanted nearly $700 plus labor to put it in. I picked it up on ebay for $75 (IIRC) and plugged it into the bay in the trunk, and the computer recognised it and configured it - no dealer involved.

Side note: My buddies in Germany tell me the brand have this presence in the EU.  BMW is the "high performance" brand, Mercedes is the "chevy of the EU" (heck, fly into Frankfurt, and the cabs are all Mercedes).  And. Audi's street brand is "technological genius." 

I can rebuild the F150 (142K on it) when the time comes, but can't touch the A6 under the hood. I'm a firm believer in oil changes - both these vehicles still drain out carmel-colored oil every 2500 - 3000 miles. I bought the F150 new in 2002. I can't afford a new Audi, but try to find a well-serviced lease-return with under 20K on it, preferably driven (broken in) by a woman driver - if I can find that info out from the seller/dealer.

If I go after a TT to check off  the RichP-shared-bucket-list, I'll probably buy used, like this.

(Prolly more commentary than necessary...)  

All I can say is that the Quattro computer-controlled AWD is amazing in snow and on ice. In 2005 driving out of the Raleigh Durham airport one winter morning, I nearly wrapped my first A6 around a tree after hitting some black ice. As I saw my life flash before my eyes, the Quattro system shifted power to a different wheel, and it was like the hand of God came down and tapped me forward (driving me out of my sideways slide). Very surreal feeling when that happened.  (Yes, I was going faster than I should have been.)

......If I go after a TT to check off  the RichP-shared-bucket-list, I'll probably buy used, like this.....

Same here with the used situation; the mk1 is too old to find with low miles, and I prefer the mk2 styling to the new mk3

This one seems to be in my sweet spot so far; although occasionally one shows up with only a few thousand miles (Usually a florida car) 

38994536935.374901261.IM1.06.565x421_A.5 

As a bonus (for me) the 2011 and 2012 wheels remind me of a speculum eusa_dance.gif

38994536949.374901261.IM1.20.565x421_A.5 
  • Thank You 1

That is sharp.  Clean, uncluttered, and without the bubble shape of the original. 
I'd take mine with a stick and some power of course. 

That is sharp.  Clean, uncluttered, and without the bubble shape of the original. 
I'd take mine with a stick and some power of course. 

That's the TT S (not the 5 cylinder RS, but more hp than the regular TT)

265 hp
258 ft lb torque
3241 lbs 

6 Speed S tronic (hard to find stick in the US on these, which is okay with me (the S tronic has no torque converter, and can shift better than I could anyway) 

[...]
My first A6 was a 2000, which I actually liked better (2.7Turbo - drove back and forth from Chicago to RTP, NC once a month).
We had an '86 4000CS graphite w/ red interior, dealer had swapped interiors for a rich gal that liked that combo, and a year later she traded it on a Volvo wagon baby-hauler.  Then an '89 200Q on which I did suspension and boost upgrades.  And a '94 90 FWD.  And the V8 5-speed (brakes, serious suspension, software), which is now waiting for a round tuit. 

All I can say is that the Quattro computer-controlled AWD is amazing in snow and on ice. In 2005 driving out of the Raleigh Durham airport one winter morning, I nearly wrapped my first A6 around a tree after hitting some black ice. As I saw my life flash before my eyes, the Quattro system shifted power to a different wheel, and it was like the hand of God came down and tapped me forward (driving me out of my sideways slide). Very surreal feeling when that happened.  (Yes, I was going faster than I should have been.)
Mid-'90's going to a track day at Blackhawk Farm, the V8 "adjusted itself" on an icy overpass.  Torsen diff, all mechanical.  You could feel the power shift, really squirrelly, but the car was straight as an arrow.  Bunch of guys go out to Steamboat for winter fun, always wanted to do that.
  • Thank You 1

Same here with the used situation; the mk1 is too old to find with low miles, and I prefer the mk2 styling to the new mk3

This one seems to be in my sweet spot so far; although occasionally one shows up with only a few thousand miles (Usually a florida car) 

That one is a knock-out, and that's a great angle to show off the really clean lines.  I thought they all had rear wings--but maybe that was only the first gen?  IIRC they wanted to flip at high speed.

[,,,,, I thought they all had rear wings--but maybe that was only the first gen?  IIRC they wanted to flip at high speed.

The rear spoiler can be raised or lowered by pushbutton, or when left alone will raise at something like 75 mph

• Thank You 1

That's the TT S (not the 5 cylinder RS, but more hp than the regular TT)

265 hp
258 ft lb torque
3241 lbs 

6 Speed S tronic (hard to find stick in the US on these, which is okay with me (the S tronic has no torque converter, and can shift better than I could anyway) 
I think that's the Audi equivalent of VAG's DCT....I heard they were a bear in stop and go traffic.  Very efficient at putting the power down, though.

.....I think that's the Audi equivalent of VAG's DCT....I heard they were a bear in stop and go traffic.  Very efficient at putting the power down, though.

The mk1 used a DSG, evidently the Audi engineers modified it to become s-tronic on the mk2

Our Audi dealer doesn't carry any TT line except for special order, but I did drive (I think it was) an A4? same s tronic transmission; we're not Manhattan, but I didn't notice any problem driving in town; the hill hold assist was pretty cool