Zoom

Best of Jalopnik. A daily pause for all you carfreaks out there.

.....Are the 06's drive-by-wire?  The one thing I'm not wild about in the newer cars is the ever-increasing reliance on electronics.  Not just for the failure modes, but for the obsolescence.

I don't know about drive-by-wire; the steering linkage is still mechanical, but many aux functions are becoming more and more electronic

The new audi virtual cockpit throws it all behind the wheel (to take your mind off all that superfluous stuff going on outside the windshield) and smart screen (an integrated tablet) gives the passenger something to do

• Thank You 1

My fault....the DSG is the DCT equivalent but the information I heard referred to DCT  in the 'other VAG', Porsche, as well as other non VW applications. 
It seems as the power handling comes up in the Dual Clutch, it doesn't handle being 'unloaded' very well.  With no torque convertor (fluid cushion) between the torque of the engine and the driveline, beefier, heavier components and higher fluid pressures required to handle supercar horsepower levels, by their very nature, become cumbersome to move quickly and smoothly in an unloaded situation. ie stop and go traffic.

Which actually wouldn't bother me in the least.  Knowing you have a efficient clutch type shift in the blink of any eye, better than a human could perform, is a great thing.

• Thank You 1

(Doing this from the phone, not as easy to edit/quote--or I just need practice.)

Rich, I think at some point they got rid of the mechanical throttle linkage.

As a separate issue, it's occasionally nice to turn off the ABS. (Insert testosterone-crazed emoticon here.)

• Thank You 1

Before I had kids, I had a 1991 RX-7 convertible, Targa top option, or full-top-down.  There was something about an 8000 RPM redline, rear wheel drive and the feel of the road (minimal traction control and steering stabilization) in those RX-7's.  Then this new third generation came out.  I drooled, My son was born, and then 20 years of SUVs began...

This one is close to the one I had (all my pics are on real film, from back then.)...

20140707174145252.jpeg

Oh, yea, the stereo was pretty cool - speakers everywhere - two in each headrest for when the top is down.

20140707173214647.jpg 

No doubt about it, though, the third generation was outstanding - no frills, just Japanese performance. 

One of my closest friends has a 1993 RX-7. Unreal handling, awesome styling, even after all these years:

20140708095123744.jpg 
However, if you want a high horsepower, streetable, reliable sports car, the real pitfall for the car was the rotary engine. Poor mileage, poor reliability when altered for more output, relatively narrow power band. What to do ? Enter the simple, tried and true American V-8.   emteeth.gif 

20140708095343844.jpg 
As Mike would say, it's a "LS-X" engine - LS-3 block; LS-7 rods and pistons, way too many different parts to list. We stripped the car to the bare metal body - literally removed every single piece of trim, hardware, etc. and sandblasted the whole body. He had it painted and then we spent 3 months, every night after work, re-assembling the entire car. I disassembled his wiring harness and re-arranged the connectors to plug into the factory GM computer. His stock gauges all work as designed and the original wiring harness is still intact. Believe it or not, the V-8 is only 46 lbs. heavier than the rotary it replaced. He owns a wheel and tire shop and has a 4 wheel scale set-up. By relocating the battery to behind the passenger seat and making a few other mods, we were able to get the weight distribution to within 8 lbs. at any wheel.

The engine works out to 410 cubic inches and puts down 520 HP and 465 ft-lbs to the wheels, all in a 2,824 lb car. A Ford 8.8" IRS from a Cobra Mustang handles the rear-end duties and a 6 speed out of a Z-06 completes the driveline package. He bought a V-8 conversion kit from Hinson Supercars for the new front end frame and engine mounts, headers, drive shaft and transmission tunnel brace.

He drives it up from Tampa to my place each spring for the Mazda RX-7 rally in Fontana Village, NC. We always make multiple passes through the "Tail of the Dragon" and routinely have the crotch-rocket guys pull over and let us pass.

So he doesn't get too big of a head if he reads this, I will include a humbling moment picture - him having to jump his mighty race car off of the lowly MF !!!   emteeth.gif

20140708100859720.jpg 
While a bunch of the guys at the RX-7 rally poo-poo'd him for taking the rotary engine out, few could argue with the quality of the car (he took 1st place for the V-8 category), the ultimate reliability of the V-8, the unreal performance, the ease of driving it and the almost 30 MPG he gets on the interstate. 

Plus, from a personal note, the big cam V-8 rumble is enough to make your heart skip a beat...

• Thank You 2

poo poo[ poo-poo for 1, 3; poo-poo for 2] 
noun [baby Talk.]
excrement; feces.
While a bunch of the guys at the RX-7 rally poo-poo'd him for taking the rotary engine out, few could argue with the quality of the car (he took 1st place for the V-8 category), the ultimate reliability of the V-8, the unreal performance, the ease of driving it and the almost 30 MPG he gets on the interstate. 

Plus, from a personal note, the big cam V-8 rumble is enough to make your heart skip a beat...

I like.  No poo poo from my perspective.  I bet the "V-8 rumble also snaps a neck or two..." as one looks around for the camaro of vette approaching.

BTW, what kind of exhaust does it have? Manifold or header outs? 

Mike is one of the most anal-retentive guys you could ever meet. He literally spent WEEKS reading every article, white paper, tech document, etc. on proper engine exhaust design.

When he was finally finished, he ended up running the headers into dual 2.5" collectors into a dual-input Magnaflow muffler, exiting into a single 4" exhaust pipe - all TIG-welded stainless steel.

The exhaust note is really deep and mellow, until you twist her past 4,500 RPM or so - then it sounds AWESOME, right up to the 7,200 RPM shift point...

When we were driving from my place to the RX-7 gig this year, we happened to come up on four guys as they were pulling off the shoulder of the road to enter the Dragon. A 2012 Z-06, a GT2 and two GT3s made up their caravan. Mike stepped on it and we reeled them in like a trout. He stayed a safe distance from the last car in their caravan (a GT3), but repeatedly dropped back and then stomped it to RAPIDLY catch up. When we finally got to the NC side of the Dragon, we all pulled into the gas station / store where the "Tree of Shame" is. All of the guys in the caravan came walking back, anxious to see "what the hell kind of beast was following them ?" (the GT2 owner's words). We had a good time checking out all the cars and talking about the Dragon and then we went our separate ways. All four of them said they liked Mike's exhaust note way better than their own car's sound. A cool visit indeed !!
  • Thank You 1

I have long been impressed with Mazda designs and presently own two.

Back in the nineties, I'd have agreed with you

My '97 MX-6

20140708123828527.png 

I think they've gone overboard (as does hundai) with the short radius lines they're stamping into sheet metal these days
Has there been some 'revolution' in sheet metal moulding that now allows for these short radii etches?  Are they just showing off their ability to do it?  Or is it just a design fail.......

The mazda KODO design is evidently going fleet-wide; ugly imo

However, if you want a high horsepower, streetable, reliable sports car, the real pitfall for the car was the rotary engine. Poor mileage, poor reliability when altered for more output, relatively narrow power band. What to do ? Enter the simple, tried and true American V-8.   emteeth.gif 

20140708095343844.jpg 
As Mike would say, it's a "LS-X" engine - LS-3 block; LS-7 rods and pistons, way too many different parts to list. We stripped the car to the bare metal body - literally removed every single piece of trim, hardware, etc. and sandblasted the whole body. He had it painted and then we spent 3 months, every night after work, re-assembling the entire car. I disassembled his wiring harness and re-arranged the connectors to plug into the factory GM computer. His stock gauges all work as designed and the original wiring harness is still intact. Believe it or not, the V-8 is only 46 lbs. heavier than the rotary it replaced. He owns a wheel and tire shop and has a 4 wheel scale set-up. By relocating the battery to behind the passenger seat and making a few other mods, we were able to get the weight distribution to within 8 lbs. at any wheel.

The engine works out to 410 cubic inches and puts down 520 HP and 465 ft-lbs to the wheels, all in a 2,824 lb car. A Ford 8.8" IRS from a Cobra Mustang handles the rear-end duties and a 6 speed out of a Z-06 completes the driveline package. He bought a V-8 conversion kit from Hinson Supercars for the new front end frame and engine mounts, headers, drive shaft and transmission tunnel brace.

He drives it up from Tampa to my place each spring for the Mazda RX-7 rally in Fontana Village, NC. We always make multiple passes through the "Tail of the Dragon" and routinely have the crotch-rocket guys pull over and let us pass.

Aside from the obviously subjective opinions of weak styling, the other JDM complaint would be lack a powerful, reliable engine/transmission combination. Across the board.  Asian brands normally will take low horsepower overengineering to the extreme for reliabliity. At the expense, of course, of performance.
While generally USDM simply cannot, until recently, make a decent chassis that handles well.  
The combination is a tricky one that takes lots of thought and time.
But Holy SMOKES, look at the result.  This thing has to be a MONSTER.
  • Thank You 1

I drove the Hellcat Challenger , great car plenty o power , handles well and has great brakes  . 

WUT?
Ok, ya can't just say 'I drove ' that beast without a little more information.  

Do tell!

What when why how........er, please?

I drove the Hellcat Challenger , great car plenty o power , handles well and has great brakes  . 

WUT?
Ok, ya can't just say 'I drove ' that beast without a little more information.  

Do tell!

What when why how........er, please?

My Step son in Law is a master tek for Chrysler/Dodge/ many stores share him on a multi state level.
Came by the other day with a Hellcat and we went for a spin. OMG!! You better have a heavy wallet for tires as this thing was like a crazy drifter tho 1st and second. Once you hit 3rd and it all sticks it's a HELL of a ride. Took it thro the Speedway here and the handling was excellent but if your not used to that much torque it WILL get you into INSTANT trouble in the corners. You've gotta load the front going in then stick it. 

Well, she dropped right into our lap; I've been looking for one of these for a couple of years now, and this one showed up just in time

-2015 Audi TTS, Oolong Gray
-0-60 4.8sec
-drives like a dream (and snaps your head back too)

20151215151949924.jpg 
20151215152020251.jpg 
20151215152432796.jpg 
20151215152131177.jpg 
20151215152156818.jpg 
20151215152222807.jpg 
20151215152243343.jpg