Zoom

Best of Jalopnik. A daily pause for all you carfreaks out there.

thought id post a short vid of my wife and i playing on the rocks in Moab Utah it felt way safer in the drivers seat 

• Thank You 3

Well, I pulled up to a stop light, and looked down, and saw this.

I knew it was coming..., but had to snap a quick photo, before the light turned green.  I drove every one of those miles on this F150.  Just normal scheduled maintenance.  Not a drop of oil leaks on my garage floor...  I'm going for another 100,000.

20170909062706403.jpg 
  • Thank You 2

Well, I pulled up to a stop light, and looked down, and saw this.

I knew it was coming..., but had to snap a quick photo, before the light turned green.  I drove every one of those miles on this F150.  Just normal scheduled maintenance.  Not a drop of oil leaks on my garage floor...  I'm going for another 100,000.

20170909062706403.jpg 

Thumb up

Good Maintenance!!! The key for a long life out of your car... My youngest daughter just wrecked her 99 Civic last month.... had 335K, original engine and transmission. We replaced it with a 2000 Honda CRV with 277K on it. CRV came with a GREAT service history. My wife's 04 Honda Pilot 225K, My 99 Honda CRV 240K.
The most mileage I've seen on one of my customers cars was 440K on a 2000 Honda Civic. He was a pizza delivery driver.

MCP :-) 
  • Thank You 1

On the way back home on my recent eclipse chasing vacation, while driving south down 395 between Lone Pine and Independence in my 2004 Mini CopperS.  I knew it was coming and had my son take a shot of it.

20170910161154535.jpg 
  • Thank You 1

I always intended to drive this truck to the moon and back (2000 GMC Sierra)  I thought I was already heading on my way back, but it turns out the moon's apogee is 252,088 miles, so I've got a few more miles to drive.  Either way, this truck has made me a better shade tree mechanic that's for sure.

20170911082541982.jpg 
  • Thank You 1

Posted (edited)

Just a ping; does anybody have experience with DIY nano-coatings (aka ceramic coatings)?  I want to try, but I'm not likely to push out the 3k they want for a professional install around here.

I can do my own paint correction, and am looking for brand recommendations for a DIY nano-coating.........

Edited by RichP714

Posted (edited)

I finally wore out my brakes, and found out that most european car rotors are no longer turnable (the damn lease market is killing OEM reliability).

So I got new rotors at the same time.

rotors.thumb.jpg.f4cae26fd316d7f4fdee945cb0fd73e1.jpg

A little bit of morning dew; can you find waldo?

dew.thumb.jpg.3ee06e50c68c6e6f88306c1621a4754a.jpg

Edited by RichP714

22 minutes ago, RichP714 said:

I finally wore out my brakes, and found out that most european car rotors are no longer turnable (the damn lease market is killing OEM reliability).

So I got new rotors at the same time.

rotors.thumb.jpg.f4cae26fd316d7f4fdee945cb0fd73e1.jpg

A little bit of morning dew; can you find waldo?

dew.thumb.jpg.3ee06e50c68c6e6f88306c1621a4754a.jpg

I'm closing in on 90k miles on my truck (2013 3/4 ton Chev 4x), so I figured I'd get out in front of the brakes and go ahead and replace them before they got down to really needing it.  Pulling the front wheels showed a good 3/8" still left on the pads!  The new ones I bought are only about 1/2"... Go figure - So now I have a new set of brake pads sitting on the shelf, just waiting for their day.  Only thing I can figure is that I've never towed with this truck, and maybe that is why there's so little wear on the pads...?

4 hours ago, Daddyjt said:

I'm closing in on 90k miles on my truck (2013 3/4 ton Chev 4x), so I figured I'd get out in front of the brakes and go ahead and replace them before they got down to really needing it.  Pulling the front wheels showed a good 3/8" still left on the pads!  The new ones I bought are only about 1/2"... Go figure - So now I have a new set of brake pads sitting on the shelf, just waiting for their day.  Only thing I can figure is that I've never towed with this truck, and maybe that is why there's so little wear on the pads...?

I don't recall ever owning a truck; I don't know how long OEM brakes usually last;  Audi  coupe brakes wear quickly, they will  darken silver wheels with brake dust in a couple of days (they do have good bite though).  Aftermarket pads wear much more slowly.

On 3/18/2018 at 6:00 PM, RichP714 said:

Just a ping; does anybody have experience with DIY nano-coatings (aka ceramic coatings)?  I want to try, but I'm not likely to push out the 3k they want for a professional install around here.

I can do my own paint correction, and am looking for brand recommendations for a DIY nano-coating.........

I ended up using cquartz UK edition; it turned out fine

cquartz.thumb.png.faf2fd4e0794db8c91b821f7787d7631.png

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2

On 4/13/2018 at 8:46 PM, RichP714 said:

Audi  coupe brakes wear quickly, they will  darken silver wheels with brake dust in a couple of days (they do have good bite though).

20180421_105037.thumb.jpg.f3659ce5535735bf5c3390f141e5bef8.jpg

• Thank You 1

I went a bit (further) down the rabbit hole with CarPro products.  I'd already used Iron-X and eraser to prep the paint.  I applied cquartz UK edition to the paint, and dlux to the trim (both very nice products)

Reload really bumps the hydrophobicity up a notch (and protects cquartz while it's curing)

EcH2O is a great quik detailer

Perl works wonders on tires (dlux on the wheels)

3.thumb.jpg.7486c385369a9c8799d925a0372dcd13.jpg

dlux in the engine bay

1.thumb.jpg.7e9221162076973b422af39d4c9587bc.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.b67182ce609d2eb6a0b632b3b4e5e2cc.jpg

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

On 4/13/2018 at 5:46 PM, RichP714 said:

I don't recall ever owning a truck; I don't know how long OEM brakes usually last;  Audi  coupe brakes wear quickly, they will  darken silver wheels with brake dust in a couple of days (they do have good bite though).  Aftermarket pads wear much more slowly.

I used to own an Audi A4 Quattro that I loved all the way up to 315,000 km. Keeping up with the brake dust was a full time job! :)

6 hours ago, DrummerJuice said:

I used to own an Audi A4 Quattro that I loved all the way up to 315,000 km. Keeping up with the brake dust was a full time job! :)

Anyone out there know of a good "spray on" then "car wash off" brake dust cleaner?

I've always wondered why, if they can put a man on the moon, the brake-dust issue on wheel finishes hasn't been solved...  🙄

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, AndrewJohn said:

Anyone out there know of a good "spray on" then "car wash off" brake dust cleaner?

I've always wondered why, if they can put a man on the moon, the brake-dust issue on wheel finishes hasn't been solved...  🙄

Most are very highly alkaline (the label often states not to leave on the wheels for more than 30 seconds).  I switched from OEM to aftermarket pads and don't have that issue; most OEM (Audi in particular) brake pads dust like crazy due to the softer compound that provides initial 'bite'.  IMO this just makes the brakes seem better tyhan they really are, as the initial bitr is too strong and then they feel soft again when you need to bear down.

Try aftermarket pads; much smoother and better stopping.

• Thank You 1

On 6/3/2014 at 4:22 PM, Rod H said:
OK - somebody has to ask. How can that thing fly without a tail rotor?

"Cpl! Straighten this thing out - I'm getting dizzy!"

Gyrocopter.

"Anyone out there know of a good "spray on" then "car wash off" brake dust cleaner?"

Sonax  Wheel Cleaner Plus was my preference (in days gone by).