Zoom

Best of Jalopnik. A daily pause for all you carfreaks out there.

10 hours ago, PrISM said:

My baby...

IMG_20180825_195240.thumb.jpg.1b1c87c14de24eff7eea261e76427e54.jpg

That color combination is the hottest on the road.  I love it.   

8 hours ago, 4RUNNER said:

image.jpeg.541856cc520a4597e57fd75fac4b33e3.jpegmy summertime ride bought new in 2014 have put 28, km on it very fun machine

I was looking for a liter bike  recently to replace my old CBR.  Found a 10 year old R1 for well under $5k off season.  I'm going to jump on one of those maybe this fall or next.  Got some work to do on my rig first.  

Priorities!!🤓

Edited by Zoom
  • Thank You 3

18 hours ago, Zoom said:

Found today on Jalopnik.   😎  Someone here has  a tt.   

https://jalopnik.com/almost-nothing-has-changed-about-the-2019-audi-tt-rs-an-1832378679

IMG_2341.JPG

I have a second generation TTS (my 2015). 

cquartz.png

Audi tends to refresh their design every five years; I'm glad I got into a mk II.  The mk III has virtual cockpit, which would be nice, but I don't like the 'hit with the kraut hammer' look of the mk III.

I'm up to APR stage 2+, with MSS springs and a performance haldex controller (plus little bits like aftermarket dogbone mount, diverter valve, turbo muffler delete)

• Thank You 1

2 hours ago, RichP714 said:

I have a second generation TTS (my 2015). 

cquartz.png

Audi tends to refresh their design every five years; I'm glad I got into a mk II.  The mk III has virtual cockpit, which would be nice, but I don't like the 'hit with the kraut hammer' look of the mk III.

I'm up to APR stage 2+, with MSS springs and a performance haldex controller (plus little bits like aftermarket dogbone mount, diverter valve, turbo muffler delete)

It just happened to be on Jalopnik FP yesterday and I thought about ya, Sir.  

I have 4-5 old Chrysler turbo cars.  I love tweaking them to perform how they shouldve come from the factory.  

A little freer air in, a little freer flow out.  Hot spark and more boost.  

Yep. 

• Thank You 3

19 hours ago, Zoom said:

.....I have 4-5 old Chrysler turbo cars.  I love tweaking them to perform how they shouldve come from the factory.  

A little freer air in, a little freer flow out.  Hot spark and more boost.  

Yep. 

That's particularly true of the TT.  When first released, there were a few deaths on the Autobahn ( roll over during high speed manouevres).  In response, Audi added a spoiler (all that was needed really), added stability control and de-tuned the suspension (numbed the response by reducing the rear anti-sway bar thickness, changed the control arm pivot).

This added considerable understeer, which Audi deem safer than oversteer.

Not really an issue driving up to 9/10, but when you really push it, it pushes

Thank the Autobahn drivers that want to be able to panic and introduce 180 of steering input at 220kph without flipping over.

Gave the vehicle a bad rep; needlessly

I've got her sorted now, and she's very nimble

• That Rocks 1

This has been my baby since 2002.

1999 Harley Davidson Fatboy FLSTF with the Stage 3 Street Stalker Kit: 10.5/1 pistons, Screamin' Eagle 2 cam, Vance & Hines 2 into 1 exhaust, bored .030 over, Drag Specialties Compufire ignition, CNC heads, Mikuni carburetor, Harley Heavy Breather intake(not pictured). 

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

12 hours ago, RichP714 said:

TT-RS SMASH (Tesla Model X 100D, Ferrari California T, Lamborghini Murcielago and more!)

@RichP714 Do you have 600HP in your TT?  (curious).  I'm not familiar with the stock specs.  

What always amazes me (very evident with the Tesla match-up) is how the torque to all four wheels in Audi Quattro, pulls up / lifts the chassis  evenly on all four corners of the vehicle, when the flag is dropped.  The other vehicles seem to either dive or pull-up off the blocks.  Quattro really aligns the acceleration force-vectors evenly, straight ahead, and parallel with the track.

• Thank You 1

Stickers

6 hours ago, AndrewJohn said:

@RichP714 Do you have 600HP in your TT?  (curious).  I'm not familiar with the stock specs.  

What always amazes me (very evident with the Tesla match-up) is how the torque to all four wheels in Audi Quattro, pulls up / lifts the chassis  evenly on all four corners of the vehicle, when the flag is dropped.  The other vehicles seem to either dive or pull-up off the blocks.  Quattro really aligns the acceleration force-vectors evenly, straight ahead, and parallel with the track.

These guys are all heavily modified.

A stock TT is around 245 HP, the TTS has more forged internals, is a bit lower and usually has magnetic ride at about 280HP.  Every now and then, audi does an RS model with the 5 cylinder engine that's around 360HP.  The RS is very rare, the S only sells about 2500 units in the states per year, and the base model doesn't break sales records either, although in Austria this car is like a mustang evidently (hard to avoid hitting one that's headed into a crowd of pedestrians).

I have mine at APR stage II+, at about 370HP; when stock, the base model is nimble, the S model is quick and the RS approaches ferocious

The owner of the shop I take my car to used to have a modified TTS project car;  I think they got into the 600HP+ range with a much larger garret turbo, but then the lag is so large it's almost no longer street driveable

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

Posted (edited)
On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 11:24 AM, johnrotten said:

Turbo might appreciate this. My 1972 LeMans Sport currently on the back burner.

DSC_0124.JPG

I sure do love the Lemans and Tempests.  They were ultimate sleepers available with the hottest GTO Ram Air & H.O. engines and were lighter too.

I recall reading about Dan Jensen's wicked 71 T-37 with a 455 H.O. engine in an 80's Muscle Car Review magazine's "Musclecar Shootout." He was a finalist losing out to eventual winner Jim Mino in his ridiculously fast Sky Blue Metallic 1968 Ram Air II Firebird that went 11's. 

When I read that MCR Shootout article I was so proud of the old Poncho's winning it even beating out Richard Lassiter's 70 Buick GS Stage 1.

Here's a pic of the 455 block, punched out +.030"(Or thirty thou) making it now a 463 Cube motor, that I installed.  I did all the work myself only having paint(On the car) and machining done. 

I did a complete blueprint on it during assembly way back in 1990 and it is 1990 in this pic.  The block was align bored and you can clearly see the 4 bolt main cap kit I installed from Warrior Racing Products in Ypsilanti Michigan:

BareBlock2.thumb.jpg.8441945f8dccbdbfa3ee4a290a415d51.jpg

That car visible under a car cover in the pic above, just to the right of my 70 GTO, is my 1968 GTO.

Here are pics of my 68 Goat:

68gto8.thumb.jpg.22df32dedf9dd50439cae8573466ec41.jpg

68gto5a.jpg.7fe2e6fd9b8f96d064af44e8af097f11.jpg

If you're a Poncho aficionado, you'll definitely recognize those exhaust manifolds as the "Real Deal" Ram Air!

And here's the motor all blueprinted and complete right before I dropped it in:

455Ready.thumb.jpg.c9e1f65ce91372d6a8355406c6d86f7b.jpg

Here's a video of Dan in his 71' T-37 making a pass in the 12.60's:

There was quite an uproar as I recall when it was discovered that the old GM 60's and 70's Pontiac and Buicks were, in fact, some of the fastest of all that era's musclecars.   But when I felt that amazing low and midrange hit in both my old 68 and 70 GTO's, I knew right then that Malcom "Mac" McKellar and those Pontiac engineers knew what they were doing.

Who'd have thought? 

Turbo

Edited by Turbo
Typo
  • Love this! 2

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, RichP714 said:

Wtf.....

Backin the 80's the huge wing, side skirts and wide body kit used to be called 'riced out'

Contemporary trend of faux body penetrations, and intakes that go nowhere is 'hit by the kraut hammer'

Then wtf is this

SmartSelect_20190227-133252_null.thumb.jpg.e6207ba0f65bf3fea123c72a15a3ddb3.jpg

The difference is functional.

After years of ‘tacked on’ wings bolted to trunk lids.. this is most likely hard mounted to lower ‘frame’ or unibody frame rails.  

After years of bolted on ‘cool’ wide body kits, the current aero has useful and functional air tracking to actually cool brake ducts and to reduce underbody drag.  

The ‘80s it was ‘cool looking’ (sic?) in a 100 hp Honda.  

Today, This is more functional in a 450 hp 180 mph track car.  

They were called out.  And 20 years later  they finally responded.  Or continued to be laughed at by those who understand that was bullshit.

It’s time to get real.

Edited by Zoom
  • Thank You 2

Posted (edited)

Write up on a Rare Audi from 1991

I own a Cyan Mica Sedan, purchased from a co-worker in 2008.

I attended a New Product Introduction Audi Training Class in 1990 and wanted to own ever since, one of the Best Cars I have ever driven and I  have driven many vehicles as a Pro Wrench during my 43 plus years, my second favorite would be a Jaguar E-Type Convertible V12 4-Speed Manual that I worked on at a Dealership in the late 70's in Covina California. 

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/cars-that-time-forgot-audi-200-20v-935285798

Photo of My 200 20V (C3)

early 2018 following an unusual Ice Storm in Galveston Texas,  the drivers side is covered with Ice.

I've read reports that there were only 574 - 1,000 Sedans and 150 - 157 Wagons produced for North America,  a 1 Year only model, in 1992 the 200 20V was replaced with the 1992 Audi S4 (C4).

I recently replaced the Wheels with Gold Konig Runlites and currently waiting for custom 3D Center Cap Decals (Black w/Silver Audi Rings) to arrive from the Ukraine. 

Screenshot_20190327-232029_Gallery.jpg

Edited by randog311
Missing word
  • That Rocks 3
  • Love this! 1

@randog311 we share the same DNA.

I coveted the Jag E-type convertible v12 my entire teenage years, and beyond.  Used to go to car shows and ask owners if I could sit in them and have my picture taken.  I have a few of those photos, somewhere, gotta' look.

Now, it's Audi, Audi, Audi (I currently own two, a 2006 A6 and 2014 Q7 - and the first one I owned saved my life more than once - wish I still had the 2002 A6 2.7T).  Full disclosure, for trucks, I have a 2002 F150 King Ranch Crew Cab, 220k miles, original everything, no oil leaks, and still my daily driver.

I've not had one of the 200's, but in the 80's, loved to watch the race circuit on TV, and while my motorhead friends were into Corvettes, Trans Ams, and Camaros, I was the odd guy, rooting for Hans and the Audi team.

What do these 200's go for these days?

• That Rocks 2

Stickers

Posted (edited)
On 3/28/2019 at 7:12 AM, AndrewJohn said:

@randog311 we share the same DNA.

I coveted the Jag E-type convertible v12 my entire teenage years, and beyond.  Used to go to car shows and ask owners if I could sit in them and have my picture taken.  I have a few of those photos, somewhere, gotta' look.

Now, it's Audi, Audi, Audi (I currently own two, a 2006 A6 and 2014 Q7 - and the first one I owned saved my life more than once - wish I still had the 2002 A6 2.7T).  Full disclosure, for trucks, I have a 2002 F150 King Ranch Crew Cab, 220k miles, original everything, no oil leaks, and still my daily driver.

I've not had one of the 200's, but in the 80's, loved to watch the race circuit on TV, and while my motorhead friends were into Corvettes, Trans Ams, and Camaros, I was the odd guy, rooting for Hans and the Audi team.

What do these 200's go for these days?

They can be hard to find, here's a few links that may answer some of your questions:

http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/trouble_shooting/perform.html

https://jalopnik.com/at-6-200-would-you-give-this-rare-1991-audi-200-20v-a-1833061045

https://www.edmunds.com/audi/200/1991/consumer-reviews/

AndrewJohn, here's a link to Audi Trans Am effort in 1988 with Hans:

Here's a link to Audi in 1986 at Talladega, over 200 MPH Average Lap Speed with Bobby Unser 

Optional Equipment: Cold Weather Package,  Audi / Recaro Sport Seats (Grey).

Changes I've made: Swapped Cams from a N/A 7A Engine,  increased Boost, Chip, MSD Coil, Magnecor Plug Wire Set, Brass Distributor Drive Gear,  MSD HVC 8252 Coil, Walbro 255 LPH F/Pump, Aeromotive Filter and 13301 Regulator, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump, Bilstein HD Shocks, 17" Wheels...

Previous owner: Swapped out front Struts and Brakes from a 10V 200 to "Delete" the Rare and Costly "UFO" Brakes...

I've Modified my Audi's Dash Display,  I've swapped the Tach, Speedo, Temp and Fuel Gauges or Faces (originally Black Face to S4 White Face) and Deleted the Analog  Oil Temp Guage, changed Position of the Oil Pressure Guage to the left (now Digital and PSI), added Digital Boost Guage and Digital Voltmeter. 

Screenshot_20190330-190639_Gallery.jpg

20190331_150506.jpg

Edited by randog311
Added Photo, Info + Link
  • Thank You 1

1 hour ago, BluesMan57 said:

Check out one one of the cars my brothers car club from Republic Mo. turned out..............

I love those early Belairs.  Better than the ‘57 which im just kinda sick of seeing.  Not that it’s a bad design.  

I was wondering about the hitch at the beginning.  🤫

And that patina is sooo perfect for that car....

🤡

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

On 3/3/2019 at 4:39 PM, Turbo said:

That car, visible under a car cover in the pic above just to the right of my 70 GTO, is my 1968 GTO.

Last year I showed up late to the fantasy football draft because I stopped for gas on the way there. I took pictures to prove it

GTO.jpg

GTO1.jpg

GTO2.jpg

GTO3.jpg

• That Rocks 3

Posted (edited)

1983 Suzuki GS1100ES 

Purchased new April 1983 at San Diego Suzuki $4,368 out the door including Tax and Doc's

Other than a home, definitely the best purchase I ever made. 

Changes: Supertrapp Superlight Stainless 4 into 1 Exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 Jet Kit, K&N's, K&P Stainless Reusable Oil Filter Cartridge, Vance Hines High Volume Oil Pump Gear Set, Heavy Duty Trans Bearing Kit and portions of the Transmission (Used from a 1980 GS1100) I installed in 1994 to correct issue of dropping from 2nd Gear into 1st especially on off ramps or Freeway interchanges (Scary / all better since my repair).

In 2012 I  lowered the gearing a bit which brought the Top Speed Down from 140 MPH to about 130 MPH, I only hit Top Speed once in the mid 80's over that Giant Belt Sander along the Pacific Coast. 

BTW: I  am the only person to ever work on / repair this Fine Machine including Tires.

I get about 4,000 Miles out of the Rear and about 8,000 Miles out of the Front. 

I kinda Miss the cheapo Original Equipment IRC Tires it came with: Great Fun, I would be coming out of a turn and "Roll It On" & as the front wheel was coming up the back tire would kick out controlably under power = it  was such an Adrenaline Rush😎, of course I was much Younger then. 

I performed the Performance upgrades in Colorado (1995) at high altitude which brought the "Seat of the Pants" feel back from what I  had experienced in San Diego...

I have been in Galveston since September of 2017 (just after Hurricane Harvey / had to wait for the flooded Roads in Houston to Clear).

Now that I  am at Sea Level,  this thing feels way faster than it ever has.

Here's a link to the "Cycle World" Magazine write up on this bike when it was released with the Title: "Now that the Rockets have Launched,  What's it like as a Motorcycle".

http://www.yeoldecycleshoppe.com/roadtestlibrary/2016/10/4/1983-suzuki-gs1100e-road-test

20180901_164242-1130x980.jpg

20180907_070827-514x533-334x346.jpg

Edited by randog311
Date correction

Posted (edited)

Bandimere Speedway Morrison Colorado 20190329_134636.jpg

Edited by randog311
Location added
  • Love this! 2