Zoom

Best of Jalopnik. A daily pause for all you carfreaks out there.

Posted (edited)

review of the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S limited edition 255/35ZR19

I just had my snow tires (Michelin Alpin PA4 245/45R18) swapped for new summer tires.

My previous summer tires were BFGoodrich g-force ultra blah blah, which were horrible.  Job one for a tire:  BE ROUND!,  a heavy fail for the BFG's; they develop a flat spot while sitting overnight, and at first start they run rough for about 15 minutes; also the road noise is horrendously loud.

The noise floor on these is vanishingly low; the loud warble tone of the junk tires was replaced by a velvet blanket of silence (I attribute this to the velvet touch sidewall).

From a hard start, the extra traction from having a round tire is immediately noticeable; the wheel hop from the old BFG's was gone.

Also, I could sense the presence and air of the channels in the tread, which provided a wider and deeper sense of space.

Edited by RichP714
  • Thank You 1

Posted (edited)

Update:

After a few more hours with these 16 channel brutes, the presence and air continues to improve; I can only attribute this to the sidewall break-in.  I'm hearing things I've never heard before on my daily drive to Starbucks

Edited by RichP714
  • Thank You 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, RichP714 said:

Update:

After a few more hours with these 16 channel brutes, the presence and air continues to improve; I can only attribute this to the sidewall break-in.  I'm hearing things I've never heard before on my daily drive to Starbucks

You now have me thinking..., I had the Michelin Pilots on my Taurus SHO (old body style with the Yamaha v6 that actually was a real car, before they screwed them up).  They were great on CA roads like the I-5 and the 101 up and down the coast..., that was the 90's.

Now, I have to pick up tires this summer for the Q7, and was going to stick with the OEM Pirelli Scorpion Verdi 295/35R21 107W XL. But for the price, I may have to reconsider these Michelin Pilots.  If I recall correctly, Michelin has a longer lived rubber formulation to get more miles..., a factor I like.  The Michelin's are about $50 a tire less cost.

Stickers

4 hours ago, AndrewJohn said:

If I recall correctly, Michelin has a longer lived rubber formulation to get more miles..., a factor I like.  The Michelin's are about $50 a tire less cost.

I don't have any personal pirelli experience, but on an m4 the

pilot sport 4s lasted just about 32k miles; there are longer lived compounds, but the grip is fantastic

• Thank You 1

Crap, Rich.  

I got rid of a v-rated Goodyear on my Shelby Charger for a BFG Comp TA ZR.  It’s now been sitting in my garage stationary for about 6-7 years.  

Ya think you had flat spots?  

I was praying it wouldn’t be the case. 

We’ll see this spring.  

If this frickin snow ever stops.  

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Zoom said:

Crap, Rich.  

I got rid of a v-rated Goodyear on my Shelby Charger for a BFG Comp TA ZR.  It’s now been sitting in my garage stationary for about 6-7 years.  

Ya think you had flat spots?  

I was praying it wouldn’t be the case. 

We’ll see this spring.  

If this frickin snow ever stops.  

My lack of roundness didn't develop from storage; they were like that from the get go; mine were all season G-FORCE™ COMP-2™ A/S "Our best all season performance tire ever").  I was trying to get away with all season's vice switching to winter tires; it was a total bust (for me)

Edited by RichP714
  • Thank You 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, mbskeam said:

OOOOHHHH..... shiny

is that a spray on and then buff out?

cquartz uk is the united kindom version of their ceramic coating; it's NOT spray on-wipe off.  The paint needs to be pristine, since any oxidation or swirls will be under the coating if you don't clean them up first.  I can do my own paint correction, but didn't get very aggressive with it (I idn't smooth out the factory paint's orange peel, for example, since that takes away too much clear coat).

After paint correction, you should de-grease and decontaminate the paint so that the ceramic coating bonds to the paint carpro's products for that are eraser and ironX.

After THAT, the coating goes on.  1 ounce will do my car twice; it's a very thin, but hard,  coating.  After a bit of cure time, another coat of cquartz; then after three days, I topped it with essence plus and reload

Essence plus is a topper for cquartz that can repair ceramic coatings, it buffs in by hand or machine, and wipes off very very very easily

Reload is the spray-on-wipe-off top coat for cquartz; kind of like a detailing spray, only for ceramic coatings

Edited by RichP714

3 minutes ago, Rod H said:

Too pretty for the roads I travel!

Looks fantastic Rich.

Too pretty for our roads here actually, right now anyway, the potholes and closed roads for pothole repair have gone out of control since the city switched to that liquid ice melt that corrodes the roadway