Zoom

Best of Jalopnik. A daily pause for all you carfreaks out there.

10 hours ago, 4RUNNER said:

[…] did a small amount of research  […] everything looks great untill you look at the range even with an extra battery pack it was only good for about 150 miles highway […]

They are definitely making progress from both ends of the range calculation.  Better battery, and more efficient use of power from those batteries.

Read an article last week that Tesla truck engineers (Big Semi Rigs) have now exceeded 700 mile range with full-legal-load behind.  The battery-power to weight ratio must have some interesting scale factoring when pushed down to a motorcycle.  Anyway, the 700 mile range for a semi-truck exceeds the HoS (Hours of Service) regulations for drivers, so they are getting close..., I think they want to get the driverless mechanisms perfected, so they can move trucks like drones, across the country and really disruptively innovate the transportation industry.  If I were a trucker, I'd be learning how to drive drones in school now, so I didn't fall behind.  If I were in education, I'd be opening "Drone Driving Schools!" Hah!

It's clear, GM, Ford, Audi..., you name it, they are all on board with the electric vehicle.  I'm fighting the urge to buy a new hydrocarbon-based vehicle hoping I can get by with what I have for 5+ more years, when we really start seeing electric vehicle momentum take over.  Gas stations, will thin out..., or reinvent into Amazon Distribution Drop-off, Pick-up and Return Merchandise centers..., maybe or become instant charging stations (magnetic pads in the pavement).  The oil and gas industry is radically reinventing itself, largely unnoticed.  Carbon-capture - you've heard of it..., capped oil wells are going to become carbon-capture depositories.  And, the Oil Field Services industry is the one industry that already knows how to put things down well-bores (fracking)…, this will come to bear.  And the charging stations for vehicles, they will go off-grid, using solar to build up power for that purpose.  Utilities?  Another industry for reinvention.

Funny how many industries are going to be disrupted by this shift in transportation power sources.  I give it 10 years, and we will recall today like it was ancient history.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

Stickers

On 8/19/2019 at 12:18 AM, 4RUNNER said:

Got to ride this today what a sweet ride is a 2019 BMW S1000 RR.   207 hp about 435 lb, was way to short a ride but what a bike. As a comparison I ride a 2013 Ducati 848 Superbike a little over 150 hp and the same 400+ lb's.  The BMW was allot of fun ............. way to much money at 20 grand cdn  but that's what dreams are for right

2019-BMW-S1000RR4.jpg

Wow!!

207! Yikes.  

🤤

I just rode my first 450f four stroke motorcross bike over the weekend.  

That bike would kill me. 

I’m used to a big bore two stroke.  

• Thank You 2

Tkuhn-schweitz-electro-dumper-electric-mi

eDumper: "The dump truck, at 45 tons, ascends the 13-percent grade and takes on 65 tons of ore. With more than double the weight going back down the hill, the beast's regenerative braking system recaptures more than enough energy to refill the charge the eDumper used going up."

Everyday, drive it up & down the hill gravel road neighbors ruined with 'we-can-fix-it' ignorance. Yes, schadenfreude, but who would not want an eDumper?  ✌️

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

15 hours ago, dcl said:

eDumper: "The dump truck, at 45 tons, ascends the 13-percent grade and takes on 65 tons of ore. With more than double the weight going back down the hill, the beast's regenerative braking system recaptures more than enough energy to refill the charge the eDumper used going up."

Everyday, drive it up & down the hill gravel road neighbors ruined with 'we-can-fix-it' ignorance. Yes, schadenfreude, but who would not want an eDumper?  ✌️

Good example, David.

"Regenerative braking systems" is an area that is of a top-secret engineering focus at the big auto makers.  They are in a race against each other to competitively capitalize on this challenge.  China is behind - they are democratizing the past e-solutions they have reverse-engineered from Tesla, et al., (batteries and power trains) and they are good at that.  Braking is a focus of innovation where solving the challenge of distance with the "First Law of Thermodynamics and the Law of Conservation of Energy which states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed; energy can only be transferred or changed from one form to another."

Conservation of Energy will be the key to long-distance space travel - ultimately.

We live in interesting times.  20 years from now, things will be very different.  Going backwards to some former "time" when we "greedily consumed" (everything) and were "familiar and comfortable" with (everything) is not progress, plays on our emotions and resistance to "change" (the only constant) and is just really stupid thinking... (my opinion - you may differ, and that's OK). 

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2

Stickers

The Grand Rapids Metro Cruise was this weekend.  Traditionally the week after the Woodward Dream Cruise so as not to compete. 

A little backstory.  

My father and uncle purchased a Dodge/Dodge Truck/ eventually added Midas Motorhome franchise in ‘68.  It was NE Grand Rapids.  

Most of you know Chrysler built the Wing Cars in ‘69 and ‘70 to dominate NASCAR and for homologation purposes had to build at least 500 cars.  

504  ‘69 Charger Daytona’s were built, of which the Hemi 4 speed was produced specifically for NASCAR teams to thrash.  Most were destroyed racing them, a few gutted race cars were restored and survive.  

I believe Pettys ‘70 Bird recently was a no sell at auction at $3.5 million.  

The second most desirable, after the 4 speed of course, would be the ‘69 Charger Daytona, Hemi automatic.  

My father and his brother sold one of these, from Northfield Dodge, in April of ‘70.  Nobody wanted the car.  

I know the person who owns it, he’s currently the second owner.  

50 years later, here it is, in the parking lot of my extended family’s dealership.   

The owner has the original window sticker (monroney) the original bill of sale, the original Northfield Dodge sticker on the trunk lid, the build sheet, and the complete service history. 

Thia car is truly a unicorn.  

Im trying to get a photo op with my father and the car together, as he is probably the only dealer left alive in the country that sold one new.  

FECF9FA3-E741-454D-BDD4-04685FA9E938.jpeg

89A065F7-5C60-4304-B118-B875E0FFEA3D.jpeg

7E032F0B-2A85-4416-ADAA-CBEBE66DE036.jpeg

256EF069-4D59-4848-BD65-1C9980E31C7A.jpeg

2C6E5178-46F3-46C7-90D3-DB144A53D519.jpeg

• That Rocks 3

On 9/4/2019 at 2:33 PM, RichP714 said:

New mag ride shocks on the rear today.

69411151_380272389320468_31069337980931969816526_2451766778374677_49110035648909

side note: those springs are MSS triple springs; a progressive spring on top, and a softer spring on bottom (all custom made for MSS by eibach).  They were designed on an Audi TT-RS with magnetic dampers, but don't require mag ride to function.

The original idea: Audi seems to have decided that understeer is safer than oversteer, as most of their models push a bit in stock configuration.  Also, the magnetic ride shocks, although very very very nice, have a tendency to feel too firm in sport mode.  William contacted the mag ride development team, and started testing various spring rates trying to find the optimum spring rate to match the magnetic dampers.

A typical 'solution' to understeer is to add a thicker rear anti-sway bar, which is a nogo for me because:

a.  All of the aftermarket stuff is WAY too stiff (abot 350% stiffer than stock), and the ride quality suffers greatly

b.  With a sway bar, the car's suspension is no longer 'independant' with one side influencing the other

I wasn't able to find a slightly stiffer rear bar; then I heard about this company out of England.  The progressive spring sets the ride height (mostly) and handles heavy deflections.  The softer spring let's minor deflections be absorbed better.

End result;

at launch there is much less squat

driving straight feels both firmer and smoother (weird thing to say, and hard to describe unless you feel it)

turn in is improved significantly, and getting on the go pedal just pulls the car through the corner with neutral handling.  Understeer is gone, the car no longer rakes back when you accelerate, it remains stable, balance composed.

Can't say enough about these springs.

Edited by RichP714
  • That Rocks 1

Stickers

15 minutes ago, Brian_at_HHH said:

@RichP714, I just flipped back to have a look at your set of wheels to remind myself what you were putting those springs on, and just noticed your plate - love it!  Good for you!

It's Nebraska's version of the US armed forces vanity plate (I was US Air Force until medically retired).  those Michelin Pilot Sport 4S limited edition 255/35ZR19 are fantastic ;)

• That Rocks 1

Stickers

Looks like these guys are having fun, but that narrow public road doesn't seem appropriate to their driving?  For anybody that has or does boost a motor to this point (forged internals, bored, stroked, meth injection etc.) how long does the motor last before it needs re-working?

Stickers