A C-1?

What's a C-1?  eusa_whistle.gif
 soundstream_c-1_preamplifier.jpg

This is my kind of C-1.  I had THE BillD #1 Carver C-1and I sold it. I still have 8 of these by SoundStream. Welcome, Gary., The essence of the Golden Rule is just like you and your E-V's: The best gear is what pleases your ear. Try a C-1/C-11, but it's OK to like something else.

Interesting thing, Kev.

SoundStream was and still is huge in quality car audio. Even in the 90s, SoundStream head units and crossovers were the quality pieces.

What in the world do you do with 8??

Interesting thing, Kev.

Soundstream was and still is huge in quality car audio. Even in the 90s, SoundStream head units and crossovers were the quality pieces.

One word: Hoard. They are so rare, I buy all the SoundStream I can. I actually have those plus a few T-1 tuners, 4 DA-1 amps, 6 DA-2 amps, 4 RA-100 MKIII amps, three phono section cards, two SN-1 networks, a dozen or so remotes, a C-2 surround processor/preamp with remote, 10 keypads, an IR remote receiver, a couple of speaker switches, a couple of power strips and a super rare Simul-Source remote keypad test unit. The SS C-1 is the closest thing to the Conrad Johnson Premier 17LS-S2 that I have ever heard. I don't want to hijack this thread, so maybe I'll start a new one...

Interesting thing, Kev.
Soundstream was and still is huge in quality car audio. Even in the 90s, SoundStream head units and crossovers were the quality pieces.
One word: Hoard. They are so rare, I buy all the SoundStream I can. I actually have those plus a few T-1 tuners, 4 DA-1 amps, 6 DA-2 amps, 4 RA-100 MKIII amps, three phono section cards, two SN-1 networks, a dozen or so remotes, a C-2 surround processor/preamp with remote, 10 keypads, an IR remote receiver, a couple of speaker switches, a couple of power strips and a super rare Simul-Source remote keypad test unit. The SS C-1 is the closest thing to the Conrad Johnson Premier 17LS-S2 that I have ever heard. I don't want to hijack this thread, so maybe I'll start a new one...

Hey Kev, It seems that the only reason they are so rare is because you are hoarding them.emwink.gif

Welcome, welcome. As a fellow newbie around here I can tell you you are in good company. There are a bunch of really great  guys that truly know their stuff. Just want to throw my 2 cents in to the pot and say the C-1 with the BillD mods does sound incredible.  Great sound stage and full bottom end. I recently acquired a m500t myself and love the combination.

Interesting thing, Kev.

Hey Kev, It seems that the only reason they are so rare is because you are hoarding them.emwink.gif
LOL!!!Welcome Gary! Sit back and enjoy the ride.

....The parts for a basic C-1 recap will cost less than $20; for an M-500 $80-100.

OR, you can go all the way down the rabbit hole, and mkII your M500 for about $275 in parts...:-)

....The parts for a basic C-1 recap will cost less than $20; for an M-500 $80-100.

OR, you can go all the way down the rabbit hole, and mkII your M500 for about $275 in parts...:-)

I probably will in due time. I don't think I'd have too much trouble changing the caps out, but as was said, If I ran into trouble I'd be up that creek without paddles because I would be clueless as to how to find the problem short of ripping everything out and starting over.

@ Kingman....love the hat!

You guys are really making me feel good about coming here. I'm glad I joined!

There is so much to read here and obviously a lot of great people. .

• 4 years later...

Welcome Gary - think of the Carver amp as a progression of the Pl.  And no worries about your speakers - they are more than fine,and the only thing that matters is that they sound good to you.

I'm also a recent arrival, here and I'm following a similar path.  I've recently picked uo a c1, and in my case a M`1.0t amp.  I've arranged to have the BillD mod done to the C1, and the MkII mod on the amp.  Unfortunately, I'm not adept enough with a soldering iron to tackle it myself.  I definitely encourage you to go for it if you are - the self satisfaction will be hard to beat.  

For me, the SH capability was a key element in choosing the C1.  I know it's not for everyone, but I love the effect.  

No matter what route you go, this is a truly great bunch of people - endless encouragement, useful help, and the only "judgment" is done in jest.

The only worry, here is the addictiveness of OCCD.  Beware, and enjoy.