The Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response

Zoom

• 3 weeks later...
We watched the original "Music Man" again this past weekend. BTW, it's a good test disk for video accuracy- lots of checkered and striped costumes in Technicolor. Anyhow, it got me to researching the Buffalo Bills , and barbershop quartets in general. Fascinating stuff, lots of psychoacoustics, particularly the "barbershop seventh" , also known as "The Angel's Voice":

"Averill notes the hints of rapture, "quasi-religion" and erotic passion in the language used by barbershoppers to describe the emotional effect. He quotes Jim Ewin as reporting "a tingling of the spine, the raising of the hairs on the back of the neck, the spontaneous arrival of goose flesh on the forearm ... the fifth note has almost mysterious propensities. It's the consummation devoutly wished by those of us who love Barbershop harmony. If you ask us to explain why we love it so, we are hard put to answer; that's where our faith takes over." Averill notes too the use of the language of addiction, "there's this great big chord that gets people hooked." An early manual was entitled "A Handbook for Adeline Addicts".[2] "

Sound familiar? emwink.gif 

• Thank You 1

My uncle Sid has been in a Barbershop Quartet, the same 4 guys, since high school.  For 50+ years. They still practice at a place called Arnie's bakery on the west side of GR two wednesdays a month.

It's definitely a unique and fascinating sound.

• Community Admin
Remember SPEBSQSA?  

Organization Link HERE

Wikipedia (history) Link HERE.  

As a teenager, we had a chapter at my church, and about 50 guys all participating.  It is pretty fun. There's an annual international competition. 
  • Thank You 1