CT-Seven

Best Thrift Store/Garage Sale Finds

I haven seen a thread like this here on this forum so I decided to take the leap

What are your best finds??

SADLY ALL SOLD THROUGH THE YEARS

Sherwood S-9910 $5.00 (church rummage sale)

Technics SL-P1200 $7.00 (goodwill)

TEAC 330 R2R $10.00 (goodwill)

I STILL HAVE THESE TWO

Sony DVP-S7000 $10.00 (goodwill)

Yamaha RX-V2700 $30.00 (goodwill)

• Thank You 2

I've never found any extraordinary audio deals in the local thrift stores or garage sales. In fact, I'm currently on the hunt for expendable speakers to incinerate, and I haven't found any victims worthy of my attention... Taz.gif

But 30 years ago my best friend found a pair of Bose 901's in perfect condition, and snagged them for $20! emthup.gif 

With the advent of the Internet, most thrift stores are making money by putting the "good stuff" on eBay. Sure, the prices are way higher, but you don't have to suffer 10 years of wandering the aisles trying to find a deal! 

I found a pair of EPI 200b speakers at a garage sale for $30.  They had new surrounds and the cabinets were in excellent condition.  They are a perfect match for my Psvanne 25 watt tube amp. 

Marantz Model 125 tuner found at a garage sale for $1.00
It looked nothing like this though when I picked her up.
Most of the lights were out, Audio was distorted, FM switch was broken and she was filthy inside and out.
I cleaned her up, replaced the broken FM switch, repaired the audio board to fix the distortion, replaced the electrolytic caps, replace the dial lamp and meter bulbs with LED's and sanded and painted the bonnet.
Dennis has her now to do an alignment.

• Thank You 2

I found my CT 7 at a 'Play it Again' type of store in Green Bay - $130 (Not exactly a bargain but it put Carver on my radar eusa_angel.gif ).

I snagged a Leak Stereo 20 vintage tube amp with matching Varislope preamp at a garage sale. They came with all the custom cables and the original manuals from the late 50's. I paid the equivalent of about $80 for the pair. The amp worked perfectly and sounded glorious with a pair of Quad ELS 57's and later a pair of Sonus Faber Electa's, the preamp needed the contacts cleaning but sounded pretty rubbish. I still have the power amp at my mom's house back home. I've seen good ones fetch $1400 or so on eBay.

I had to put my Quad ELS 57's on the curb when I moved over here, along with 98% of my vinyl collection  emembarrassed.gif

Swings and roundabouts I guess....

• Thank You 1

Wow, terrific job on that Marantz tuner, Paul! eusa_clap.gif She looks brand new!! 

Thanks. It took some time but the cost was minimal. 

1st pressing pink Floyd the wall.... for a buck at GW in real good shape to boot

2nd. on CL found 4 30" ribbons for 75$, take off when the owner did the 60" upgrade, like new, still using these

A few years ago I found a NIB CT-Seven at a garage sale less than a block from my house.
The guy was asking $30. Since he was a neighbor I gave him $100 and still felt gulty about it.
It's currently pulling pre-amp duties in my son's system with an M-1.5t and DTL-200MK2. 
  • Thank You 1

My wife sold my RTR 300D Towers in a garage sale for $20
 attachment.php4?attachmentid=20972&stc=1

She had my Carver C-1 and M500t in the Garage sale for $20 each but they didn't sell.
Then she wanted to throw them away!  Luckily I saved them and now they are rocking out in my office. 
  • Thank You 1

A few years ago I found a NIB CT-Seven at a garage sale less than a block from my house.
The guy was asking $30. Since he was a neighbor I gave him $100 and still felt gulty about it.
It's currently pulling pre-amp duties in my son's system with an M-1.5t and DTL-200MK2. 

Nice Deal!

A pair of JBL C-60 Sovereigns (S8R, three way drivers) for $50.00.
A McIntosh Mac 1700 receiver for $30.00
Sansui 9090db for $20.00
Carver MXR150 and M-500t for $80.00
and most recently an Integra DTR 6.8 for $10.00 shortly after finding a compatible Onkyo remote for $1.00.
I do spend too much time looking!emsmilep.gif
More of my finds can be found HERE 

20140710173733332.jpg

20140710173733332.jpg

I checked that out, and I was a bit leery: sure, there might be a nugget or two, but I figure the reason it ended up where it did was because it needed repair! I love how the description emphasizes that the cheap plastic shelving is not included! happy0009.gif 

Hey! Not a random ad. That is MY STUFF! And I need the shelves for the next lot. I refill this and sell it off a few times a month. Granted some of it needs work, some of it is like new. I just have to downsize.

Sansui AU20000, Sansui TU9900, Pioneer laser disc(Dan has it now...) all for the princely sum of 40 bucks!

I sold the Sansui gear for almost 3 grand.... Also had a Nakamichi Dragon for dirt cheap, but can't remember if it was Goodwill or not.

A pair of JBL C-60 Sovereigns (S8R, three way drivers) for $50.00.
A McIntosh Mac 1700 receiver for $30.00
Sansui 9090db for $20.00
Carver MXR150 and M-500t for $80.00
and most recently an Integra DTR 6.8 for $10.00 shortly after finding a compatible Onkyo remote for $1.00.
I do spend too much time looking!emsmilep.gif

Dang Kevin.......those are some STEALS jaw_dropper.gif!!!  And I thought I got a good deal on my Integra DTR-7.8 for $175 eusa_doh.gif LOL!!!  I wish I was closer to areas where there were storage locker auctions........unfortunately down here in BFE there isn't much of ANYTHING!  Keep hunting and good luck on all of your 'soon-to-be' deals!
  • Thank You 1

Sansui AU20000, Sansui TU9900, Pioneer laser disc(Dan has it now...) all for the princely sum of 40 bucks!

I sold the Sansui gear for almost 3 grand.... Also had a Nakamichi Dragon for dirt cheap, but can't remember if it was Goodwill or not.

Yup, Im staring at it now......

PS I tried to go out garage sale'ing today only to get rained out.. oh well there is next weekend.

Back to my RS-II project lol...

Speaker one resealed w locktite, washed and oiled up twice, cleaned all the mids and rubber surrounds with maguires protectant, now regasketting all the mids and woofers.  Already re-gasketed the xover panel and ensured the panel will come off easy if I decide to upgrade the xover at some point....

Now start ripping into speaker 2. 

Only been to one garage sale. Went with my Mom when I was 5 or 6. Found a Lionel Train set for $10. Still have it and got it refurbed last year. Didn't cost $10 this time though. That's OK I think it's a keeper.

Nice score today at the Goodwill. 1. Mint Technics SL-P320 with manual and remote for $7.99. Looks and works like new. One of those old CDP's with above average sound quality. AND a remote! Even has volume control with the remote for direct to amp or just through a tube buffer. 2. 300 disc Sony CDP-CX355 changer for $9.99. Works, but needs a cleaning as it will skip a little. 3. Sansui D-59M cassette deck for $5.99 4. AVF ELITE 500 speaker wall brackets for $2.99. Very sturdy. I'm thinking these for the CRM-2's.

I'm always picking stuff up but one of my best scores was a Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi player. Great dac's and opamps with a very nice build quality. Set it up as a 2.1 CD player and it has been my reference player ever since. Got that at the local GW for 30 bucks, less than 8 years ago they were a grand! On a recent note I scored a set of McIntosh MC40 tube amp monoblocks and a Dynaco PAS3 preamp for 600. Kevin is helping me update the preamp and another friend is rebuilding the Mac's, all I have to do is supply the parts. I'll have 2 top notch systems when I'm done, my Carver system and my Mac system. Not sure what I'm doing for speakers for the Mac system yet, they are going to need to be efficient with only 40+ watts to work with. Plus I don't have the room for big speakers. My Plats took all of that up. LOL

Belvederre2, you need to get out more often. Lot's of neat stuff out there, it's kind of fun looking for this stuff and you never know where it will pop up. Whenever I stop at a yard sale I always ask about old stereo gear and now tube stuff. Who knows what's stashed in a closet or in the basement. 

BillWojo

Best score on CL a few years ago 
Got a Yamaha T-85 tuner for $25
and a TX-11a for the princely sum of $5
The original owner had painted the front of the TX-11a black with what looked like model paint and hand wrote what the buttons were in white model paint. Spent hours and hours with solvent and q-tips pulling that paint off. In the end, the Yamaha turned out to be a better tuner. (One of the best DX tuners around, it seems.)