CT-Seven

Best Thrift Store/Garage Sale Finds

Let's see...been a bunch actually but of main interest...

Carver M-1.0t, C-2, and an Akai EQ for $5 at a garage sale in Denton, tx.

Pioneer SX-1980 off of Craigslist for $10 in Corinth, TX

Infinity Quantum 3 speakers for $1$ for the pair.

4 different pairs of Klipsch Heresy's and 2's from $10 to $50 per pair.

Soundcraftsmen DX4002, A5002, Infinity RSIIIa's, JVC QL-F4 turntable all for $100

And a bunch more I've had and sold while living in Denton, TX but a lot got sold before moving in Jan 2010. Don't find things anymore since moving back to Arkansas.

Let's see...been a bunch actually but of main interest...

Carver M-1.0t, C-2, and an Akai EQ for $5 at a garage sale in Denton, tx.

Pioneer SX-1980 off of Craigslist for $10 in Corinth, TX

Infinity Quantum 3 speakers for $1$ for the pair.

4 different pairs of Klipsch Heresy's and 2's from $10 to $50 per pair.

Soundcraftsmen DX4002, A5002, Infinity RSIIIa's, JVC QL-F4 turntable all for $100

And a bunch more I've had and sold while living in Denton, TX but a lot got sold before moving in Jan 2010. Don't find things anymore since moving back to Arkansas.

Hell I don't find them down here anymore either??? 

Well......today I was in a thrift store up here called Value Village.
My wife wanted to check out second hand clothes for costumes.
Of course I head over to the electronics section.

Just what I expected, 4 old DVD players and a couple of old headphones.
I check out this old pair of cans, it had a big ball of cord rolled up and elastic
bands holding it together....

I smile

Its a Stax SR-X Mark 3....cool.
I call my wife over and get her to help me look for the transformer.
We look and look......no luck.....crap.

Oh well......I head out the store after I paid my $5.99.......thats about 8 cents in USD.

Bad news, the transformers are really expensive, good news....that big ball of cord
at the end is actually the phones cord and a 16' extension. These extensions are expensive,
but heres the catch.....its a 6pin, and the Stax of today use 5 pin....I've got a few feelers out
to see if its worth anything......we'll see.

Anyway, thats my thrift store find......cool0016.gif 

Nice one today- ADS L730's. $20.00. Need to hook them up and see if drivers are blown. Hideous paint job.

That is a wonderful set of speakers Kev. Hopefully not blown. I had some L710's in the 80's and they had a great sound. It was the first set of speakers that I noticed the midrange. As in "wow, listen to that!"

I stopped by there yesterday evening, you missed the K-horns for 89 bucks! Just kidding, great score Kevin. They will make great test speakers for tube gear.

BillWojo

Just found a Yamaha T-1 tuner the other day for $6 (cool green), and it was such nice shape I thought for sure it was built 2000 +. Looks great with my basement set up: AV-505, ct-26v, and a TEAC CD-P650 that I scored at GW for $8, and a pair of vintage Advents I got 3 weeks from my father, happy basement. Will post pictures soon.

I've picked up a lot of cool stuff cheap. Kevin and I hunt in a lot of the same place's. There are two big flea markets in the area, we both live near one of them and sometimes we cross turfs. I park on the outer fringes, I don't want my car bombarded with egg's. LOL I can go weeks coming home empty handed and than one week have to make several trips back to my car. Last fall on the way out of my flea market I saw a cassette deck, figured it was black plastic crap until I saw the rosewood side panels. TOTL Sony TC890ES! Now I don't use cassettes but when he said 10 bucks I grabbed it. Bought a prerecorded tape to check it out, sounds like a CD player.
It's the excitement of the hunt that keeps me going back, you never know what you might find.

BillWojo
  • Thank You 1

Yet another deal I couldn't pass on- (From the same GW) 6 piece Sony SS-KED surround sound speaker system:
Fronts: SS-K30ED, Rears: SS-K10ED, Center: SS-CNK10ED, Sub: SA-WX700, 250 watt powered. All for $99.95. Purportedly a Sony/B&W collaboration. Woofers use Kevlar cones. Tweeters go up to 70KHz, yes, 70K!
Biggest problem was break-in time. Usually takes 100 hours, so demos in stores sounded crappy. Can't wait to try these with my Sony STR-DA4ES. Literally made for each other!
  • Thank You 1

" Tweeters go up to 70KHz, yes, 70K!"

Wow Kev. That is impressive. I paid 15 times that and my Monitor audio gold c350 has a 40-60k hz range. I've got frequency range envy even if my dog can only hear that!

Nice score my friend.

Can't wait to try these with my Sony STR-DA4ES. Literally made for each other!

Did you try these with the 4ES? 

Bumping this as I found something today, I know that I cannot be spending money as Irma halted the sales.

I saw a DENON DVD 2910 for 12.00 and had to bring it home with me.

This denon is a Universal Player that plays CD's DVD's and everything in between

Marantz Model 125 tuner found at a garage sale for $1.00
It looked nothing like this though when I picked her up.
Most of the lights were out, Audio was distorted, FM switch was broken and she was filthy inside and out.
I cleaned her up, replaced the broken FM switch, repaired the audio board to fix the distortion, replaced the electrolytic caps, replace the dial lamp and meter bulbs with LED's and sanded and painted the bonnet.
Dennis has her now to do an alignment.

That's a nice look! 

• Thank You 1

Marion Ohio

Jack's Thrift

$50

Carver Research Lightstar Reference(inop)

ray

cousin (phDs in various electronic disciplines) got it working in 30 min 

yeefreekinhaw 
  • Thank You 1

Like the millenials say "Pics or it did not happen, BRO"

Nice Find man!!

that was 10 years ago, lemme see if I have pics

ray

Like the millenials say "Pics or it did not happen, BRO"

Nice Find man!!
that was 10 years ago, lemme see if I have pics
ray
Ahh no worries Mag's I was under the impression that this was now recently. Since there has been plenty of Lightstar talk lately.

Posted (edited)

I know this is an old thread, but my best ever find was about 15 years ago. A friend of mine called and said he saw a Harman Kardon amplifier on the curbside at a neighbor's house. I told him to grab it as quickly as he could. I immediately drove to his house and discovered a reasonably clean Citation II complete with tube cage and the original Gold Lion KT88's. I took it home and brought it up slowly on a variac to discover that it was a working amp! I sold the Gold Lions for $300 on eBay, repainted the transformers and did a McShane upgrade to the power supply. I kept it for about 2 years and later sold it on eBay for $2100. Best find of my life! My next best was from Speaker City in Burbank Ca near where I used to live. They had a repair section in the back and knowing the owners for almost 30 years they used to let me buy anything left for repair that was over 6 months old and could not contact the owners of it. I saw a McIntosh MC240 and inquired about it. It was very clean, but non working. I got it for $400. Once home I opened it up and discovered the $2 inrush limiter burned in half. I bypassed it just to see what I had and it came to life immediately. After replacement of the in rush limiter it sold for $2700...it's one I wish I'd kept, but I already had 2 MC75's and really had no need of it. I've never found anything at a thrift shop that was of any real value.....guess too many people are now aware of what this stuff is worth!

5a.jpg

Edited by fxbill
  • Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 2

I would have to say my best 2 deals were off craigslist. One was a pair of silver 9ts (no base) in excellent condition for $300 and a c-19 for $200 again in excellent condition. The guy had even taken it to a shop for testing and they charged him $200 (changed out a few caps). I even drove to Balt one time to pick up a c-1 and 2 1.0’s with all boxes for $100 each. I of course took all 3. All worked great.

• Thank You 1