CT-Seven

Best Thrift Store/Garage Sale Finds

While cruising the local classifieds today, I spotted what looked like a 1.0t off to the side in a picture advertising a pair of vintage LaScalas. I called and asked if the Carver amp in the photo was for sale, and the gal said “sure - what’s it worth?”  I told her I had $125 cash in my wallet, and she said deal. 

When I met her her to do the exchange, I was surprised to find the amp a 4.0t instead!  Not sure what I will do with it, but that’s never stood in the way of OCCD....

A9F34CF1-CCD1-4FD1-B847-4ACB36A94384.jpeg

B9A706F8-0CF2-4B17-AA65-6FA40AF2215E.jpeg

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 3

How much were the La Scala's, and did you have room in your vehicle to take them home?  :D

2 hours ago, Daddyjt said:

Not sure what I will do with it, but that’s never stood in the way of OCCD....

You could sell it to me for $125+Shipping! 😀

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sk1Bum said:

How much were the La Scala's, and did you have room in your vehicle to take them home?  :D

They were a very cheap $400, which is why I was studying the ad. Problems abounded though - the mid range drivers must have blown at some point (probably the result of M4.0t + drunken idiot), and - I kid you not - someone had cut the stalk of the horn and duct taped soft dome tweeters to the end of the horn.  They had radio shack bullet tweeters screwed into the top (not even centered), and there were eye bolts screwed into the wood in all 4 corners for ceiling hanging.  Crazy thing is, the ad is gone, so I’m assuming she sold them. 

Sweet pick up Mark, it always pays off to look at the ads.

Last week I asked my trainer "what if... in the event that I see something on the side of the road and I want to take it can I do it even though I am on a delvery route? The answer was yes" granted I am talking about small items If I see dumped la scalas I think that would be a problem

47 minutes ago, Daddyjt said:

They were a very cheap $400, which is why I was studying the ad. Problems abounded though - the mid range drivers must have blown at some point (probably the result of M4.0t + drunken idiot), and - I kid you not - someone had cut the stalk of the horn and duct taped soft dome tweeters to the end of the horn.  They had radio shack bullet tweeters screwed into the top (not even centered), and there were eye bolts screwed into the wood in all 4 corners for ceiling hanging.  Crazy thing is, the ad is gone, so I’m assuming she sold them. 

Wow. Too bad about the La Scalas. Congrats on the M4.0t!

Hey all,

My finds include a pair of Acoustat 2+2 with red medallions for $200 off of craigs list and the seller delivered them about a hundred mile to me !!

4 Minimus 7 black in great shape from a local  consignment shop for $20 . Velodyne VA-1210 for $15 from the same shop , a little rough around the edges but works great.

My daughter in-law's  mother inherited some property from their next door neighbor when he past away

( they took care of him for the last 4 years as he had no family ) and she brought me some equipment he had consisting of,

Tandberg 2002 pre amp, 2003  amp, a pair of MTX AAL212 speakers and an AR77xb turntable for free.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1