Daddyjt

Reference disc / need your help!!

I've been kicking this around, and I want to take a shot at compiling a Carversite reference disc.

What I need from you all: One (1) track, that you find indispensable in auditioning a system. I will purchase the cd if I don't already own it (as long as it's not some out of production exotic), but I would like a brief write-up by you, as to what you listen for, and what makes the track important in the audition. For example "listen for the plucking of the bass strings, or how do the speakers handle the imaging at 1:20, etc..."

What I will do: compile all of your tracks, rip them to CDs, and include your "liner notes". I will ship one to every member that's interested, free of charge - call it early Christmas karma.

What do you think?

• Thank You 10

Sounds like a great idea to me! emsmile.gif

I'm going to cop out and suggest an obvious one, to get my hat in the ring until I think of some better tracks: Bela Fleck's "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo". For the low notes of the bass guitar, contrast of the piano, the dynamic range. We do already all own that though, *don't we*?

It might be tricky making sure you obtain the *exact* same (or better?) version, due to remasters, the Loudness War, etc.  

Sounds like a great idea to me! emsmile.gif
I'm going to cop out and suggest an obvious one, to get my hat in the ring until I think of some better tracks: Bela Fleck's "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo". For the low notes of the bass guitar, contrast of the piano, the dynamic range. We do already all own that though, *don't we*?
It might be tricky making sure you obtain the *exact* same (or better?) version, due to remasters, the Loudness War, etc.

I own it. Great choice!

How about Pink Floyd's "Money" or "Time"? Both are probably very familiar to most of us. They start with sound effects for testing imaging (cash registers or clocks). Male vocals. And they sound great *loud*. party.gif

Perhaps a pipe organ track to plumb the lower depths? The lowest pedal note can go to 16 Hz,  more felt than heard. Three-part writing can have both feet playing pedals and the hands fingering four manuals simultaneously, a mesmerizing sight & sound! The sustained low pedal notes test bass reproduction differently than transient tones.  I can come up with a track & I recall Zumbini has a favorite pipe organ recording.

Artists: Robin Vassy
Album: Bon Voyage
Track: Ouverture

French/Iranian jazz.  Vassy creates many of his own instruments so the sounds in this track fall outside the ordinary.  I listen particularly to the hard plectrum sound from the plucked steel strings and the beautiful decay of the fading vibration sometimes with multiple strings in harmony.  Additional instruments appear and disappear sometimes panning and sometimes precisely imaged in three dimensions.  As the piece progresses the full band kicks in.  The bass is deep and resonant but with a softer touch that evokes fingers in contrast to the hard plectrum sound of the other string instrument.  This is an album that sounds particularly good on ribbons.  The whole album is amazing and has the advantage of presenting something fresh.

• Thank You 1

Neat idea.  I'll give it some thought.  I would suggest we stay away from popular stuff like Pink Floyd only because most of us own it already. 

Agreed - It would be nice to share those "off the beated path" tunes that we all have in our demo arsenal...eusa_think.gif

Supertramp - Brother Where You Bound

Great tune, gene!

What do you listen for in it? What does a system do right with it, to impress you?
The clarity in Ricks singing at the beginning before the drums hit.

The system has to knock me out of my chair with that song. happy0009.gif
  • Thank You 1

Supertramp - Brother Where You Bound

Great tune, gene!

What do you listen for in it? What does a system do right with it, to impress you?

The clarity in Ricks singing at the beginning before the drums hit.
The system has to knock me out of my chair with that song. happy0009.gif

Thanks Gene! We have two tracks now...:-)

Johnny Winter ~ Saints And Sinners,  
originally released on vinyl in 1974, the song "Dirty" was a bonus track on the remastered CD released in 2008 from the original LP master tapes, which creates a crisp and clean recording.

This song is just Johnny on acoustic slide guitar and vocals and a flute player(Jeremy Steig an american Jazz Flutist).
Often criticized for his lack of vocal prowess, this song is perfect for his south Texas twang/growl.

The flute playing is incredible, at times light and airy and the next second dirty and raspy.
It contrasts sharply with the dark lyrics and Johnnys acoustic slide guitar work.
The flute playing will test the upper ranges of your system and reveal any weakness's it may have.
Should be a real test for ribbon and super tweeters.

This is unlike any other Johnny Winter song out there, which is probably why it was added as a bonus track, because it wouldn't fit on any other release.

Well worth a listen, if your curious what real blues are supposed to sound like.

• Thank You 1

Chris Rea - The Road To Hell

The bass line is low, clean and well balanced with the rest of the disc; his voice has a bit of a rasp that sounds "right" on a good setup; dynamic range in general is very good.

Definitely a reference song for me when auditioning a system. 
  • Thank You 1

Stickers