Review of Supertramp Blue Ray Pure Audio

morris

I received the Supertramp - Crime of the Century - Pure Audio Blu Ray disc that I won from Daddyjt's Karma. Thanks Mark!
After loading in to my Oppo BDP-103, the first thing I found is that this is a stereo disc. I thought it would be surround sound.Think
That's the only dissapointment I had though. The sound quality was great. Since it is stereo, I played it directly from the Oppo to the C-1 preamp(which has a new BillD mod), bypassing the Marantz receiver I use for SACD, DVD-Audio, and movies. The sound is clean, with a wide dynamic range. This will be one of my favorite CD's.
 Phones
  • Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 3

Here is a picture of the menu screen. Similar to some DVD-audio discs.
There are 3 audio set up options. I couldn't tell any difference between them.

20150504063840547.jpg 
  • Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 3

• 4 years later...

I wish more of these Pure Audio disks were made.  Seems to be another dead'ish format.

I just got the Alan Parsons Project "Tales of mystery and imagination".  Full 5.1 remaster by Alan himself.  Sounds amazing and I want more.....

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 2

On 5/3/2015 at 8:15 AM, morris said:

I played it directly from the Oppo to the C-1

I also have a oppo 103 how did you do this, I have tried but was not able to figure it out?

16 hours ago, NickT said:

I wish more of these Pure Audio disks were made.  Seems to be another dead'ish format.

I just got the Alan Parsons Project "Tales of mystery and imagination".  Full 5.1 remaster by Alan himself.  Sounds amazing and I want more.....

I've had very good results with Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs SACD. Some are stereo, some are hybrid, and I don't recall any that don't have a PCM or DSD option for playback. Patricia Barber-Cafe Blue, Dire Straits-Brothers In Arms, The Cars-Heartbeat City, Santana-Abraxas & Caravanserai, Janis Joplin-Pearl & The Doobie Brothers-What Were Once Vices... are very well done.

Their UD1S albums are incredible, but be prepared for sticker shock.

• That Rocks 1

5 hours ago, NickT said:

I just ordered 2 SACD from Mobile Fidelity, "Wish you were here" and "I Robot".  

Can't wait to give them a listen..

Both are excellent choices. 

Here's a link on the Steve Hoffman forum discussion with SACD recommendations. 

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

On 7/16/2019 at 10:24 AM, 4RUNNER said:

will try again, all i got when i tried that was a huge hum.   Thanks

See Page 16 and 67-68 of the BDP-103 manual. You may not have enabled Down Mix Mode.