Sign in to follow this  
ggans2

Painfull Question??

Not sure where to put this, but when will Carver be done? Like when us and Carver gear are history?

Nothing last forever, where already old.  lol ..  well some of us..  know what I mean.

Not sure if Carver gear will ever totally go away, well eventually when mankind totally goes away and or the earth is finally destroyed it will im sure but most likely the gear will live on past our lifetimes. There are still old Thomas Edison phonographs etc still around and in museums so I assume it will be a while.

REGARDS SNOW

Mine will be around till I die.  After that' date=' I don't give a rats ass.[/quote']

Too funny, Bill.  happy0009.gif  My feelings are similar, but like any of my possessions, I'd prefer to think that someone will enjoy them after I'm done with them.

I also agree with snow -- there will continue to be Carver gear as long as folks continue to repair and use it and/or display it in museums.  Bob Carver did many novel things with his designs and that will foster continued interest in gear bearing his name for some time to come.

50 years from now I DOUBT that any Carver SS gear will be "relevant" and/or "serviceable". MAYBE the tube stuff (especially the "new" eBay 180's) will still be the "center piece" of a few vintage "throwback" systems. But the future is unknowable...

Guest colinbgood

'(especially the "new" eBay 180's)"  can some post a link to one? Thanks Colin

My PT24 has a build date of 1995 inside. Not sure what the production dates were on these but the older one we used to have said '90 inside.

With regards to how long Carver stuff will be around is anyones guess. I could replace mine with a Crown Macrotech 3600VZ but if i'm brutally honest, I don't really want to. I like my PT2400. The Crown is a newer design with their 'Floating Bridge' and the VZ variable current/voltage power supply. Inside they have two transformers and are true monoblock amps but do weight about 8 tonnes! They deliver a bit more 'stomp' and are a touch smoother than the Carver, especially on low frequency use but I like the way the Carver does what it does and the way it delivers low frequencies. The Crown seems to go lower but the Carver remains tighter..   

My intentions are to get my PT up and running and keep it going for as long as its needed, its great peice of kit inspite of its age so why not.. 

I'm too mean to die so I guess I'll find out, eventually, when the last piece of Carver gear goes up in a puff of acrid smoke.

It will be a tube amp, I'm pretty sure. 

You can fix that stuff practically forever. 

Yeah Tube Gear!14.gif

Valve amps are great in that respect.

My old Linear Conchord is pretty much as it come from the factory. It did have to have some new (old stock mazdas) EF86 pre-amp valves and the original Mullard EL34s are gone as they were getting a bit tired so I put some Ruby Tubes EL34Bs in. I swapped the old GZ34 for a NOS Mullard GZ34 that I had knocking about but the phase invert/driver ECC83 is original. All the caps were tested to be good too but even if it does go bang, its very simple to fix. 

Well, all amps (not just tubes) can be kept going.  It's just that tubes with their point-to-point wiring are less prone to damage (like trace damage on a circuit board) and able to be adapted to new parts (circuit boards are cast in stone, so to speak). Still, I have been able to find suitable substitutes that were superior in all respects to the originals in fixing solid state gear without much trouble.  Now, if someone would make a decent RC4136 pin-for-pin replacement!

Not sure where to put this, but when will Carver be done? Like when us and Carver gear are history?

Nothing last forever, where already old.  lol ..  well some of us..  know what I mean.
Some of the best turntables in the world Garrard 301/401's...Thorens TD 124'S have long been gone but
are probably more popular today than ever. They were well designed and precision built. As long as there are forums like this and people like BillD sharing their knowledge and experience there is no reason for Carver gear to  disappear...in fact there is no reason why a lot of Carver gear  shouldn't go on to become audio classics. Lord knows...the cult status is alive and kicking...as it should...