CWT50

ipad mini or Android tablet

Have never used an Apple product,  but am getting really po'd with android updates. I have bought 2 android tablet s in 4 years and they don't get upgrades after 12-14 months. The last upgrade on my galaxy tab 3 8 inch really slowed it and am constantly having it shut down, and you can't go back. My question is, what do you think of the ipad mini? I am thinking of getting the mini 2 with 32gb memory.  Don't care for finger print scanner, so no difference in 2 versus 3, right? All comments will be appreciated. 

Thanks,
Wayne 

iPad and IOS updates have issues similar to the constant Android updates. I have a couple of Android devices in a predominantly Apple household. Neither OS is stable. My last stable iOS was iOS 6.1.6. I normally will not update when it comes out, but let it soak in the field and watch for reports of issues. I am usually a month behind.

The iPad mini 2 and 3 are fine devices.

What is the intended use of this device? If portability is less important, there may be other options.

• Thank You 1

The use of the ipad will be web surfing,  facebook, and naturally this site. No music will be put on it or pictures, use windows photoshop for photo work and storage.

Wayne 

If that's all you're using it for then may I suggest you save a heap of money (more OCCD) and purchase a Kindle for $100. I have had 1 issue in 2 years that was solved by a hard shutdown reset. It's cheap and there's not anything I can think of except Google Earth that I have been unable to do. I won't do banking with it though.

• Thank You 1

The use of the ipad will be web surfing,  facebook, and naturally this site. No music will be put on it or pictures, use windows photoshop for photo work and storage.

Apple offers a 14-day return policy from the day of purchase. Their devices tend to be expensive though, as PinDrop says.  Can I suggest you try it for 14 days and use it for you normal activity and put it through it's paces, before you commit to it? Perhaps do some things which you do not use now, but may need in the future.

Apple has a closed system, so to manage such devices, much like Android, you may need additional products, like iTunes for Windows or Mac.

• Thank You 1

If that's all you're using it for then may I suggest you save a heap of money (more OCCD) and purchase a Kindle for $100. I have had 1 issue in 2 years that was solved by a hard shutdown reset. It's cheap and there's not anything I can think of except Google Earth that I have been unable to do. I won't do banking with it though.
Need a tablet with an 8 inch screen, don't want 10 inch (to big) and definitely want a high resolution screen.

Wayne 

We have 3 iPhones in our house...a 6+ (wifes) and my daughter and sons 5's. I used iPhone for 6 years and just got a Samsung note 4 a few months ago and love it. I was so tired of the apple ecosystem but they are too used to it to switch. We also have 2 iPads and we Samsung 8" tablets. I use the Samsung tablets over the iPads and love not having to rely on iTunes for anything I do. All of them are set up to run my Jriver a/v server so it's handy for all. Also have a Roku 3 and 2 apple tvs that are modified in that they (kids) can access the movies on the server using Plex via a modified Apple Trailers address.

I'm also a network administrator at a small is school district but still work with about 500+ iPads controlled by our apple server using Miraki. Still don't like them in education.

But for what you're doing, they'll all do that.

• Thank You 1

I strongly recommend the Kindle Fire. (Which ever size screen you need) Mine works great and rarely causes problems.

My youngest son (24) has an iPad and hates it. Constant updating issues and hanging and apps crashing.

All of my grand kids use android tablets and like them, but seem to have more problems than I would be happy with.

(With them I'm not sure how much of it is Android and how much is user error.)

• Thank You 1

I know you asked about Apple devices, but here is an alternative that is pretty dang tough to beat at the price point, if you are OK with Windows 8.1:

The main issue I have with Apple is the a$$-raping they subject the consumer to for a measly 32 GB of RAM. No USB port, no memory card slot, etc. I'm sure they are good devices, but they are just too closed up for someone like me. 
  • Thank You 3

No USB port, no memory card slot, etc. I'm sure they are good devices, but they are just too closed up for someone like me. 

For such features, iPad may be a bad choice, a MB Air is probably a better device, even though there are adapters and the ability to add external storage via a dongle.

I think closed systems are easier to control and integrate and provide better customer experience.  I do have to manage the ecosystem.

The issues I have with Android are that there is no such thing as Android, but there is a Samsung Android, there is a HTC Android, there is a LG Android, which to me is the other extreme. It makes it sound like a franchise but no standard customer experience.

I like HP products. They last a long time.  

• Thank You 1

All of my grand kids use android tablets and like them, but seem to have more problems than I would be happy with.

(With them I'm not sure how much of it is Android and how much is user error.)

You ever have a problem with your computer, hand it to an 8 year old. They'll have it up and running while you're still trying to find the manual ... <G>

Only tablet I got here is a cheepie Chinese android tablet I got to use as a jRiver remote control. I think it's running 3.8 or something like that. I'd double check ... if I could find the damn thing. 

I know you asked about Apple devices, but here is an alternative that is pretty dang tough to beat at the price point, if you are OK with Windows 8.1:

The main issue I have with Apple is the a$$-raping they subject the consumer to for a measly 32 GB of RAM. No USB port, no memory card slot, etc. I'm sure they are good devices, but they are just too closed up for someone like me. 
That is an alternative solution , if it can run win 8.1 it will run win 10.

Thanks,
Wayne 

I've been reading a little on the HP B-Man/anybody and haven't found the answer yet, can you get digital out on it to feed an outboard dac like we now can with an i-pod dock? Are there any that we can do that with?

It has a USB port so I assume you can connect a supported DAC to it.

• Thank You 1

This Kindle Fire has a usb port that you charge it with and I have downloaded a cd through it but I don't know if it feeds digital out. I'm really not computer literate but I go to YouTube and learnemteeth.gif I is smart huh? It also has a micro HDMI out but I believe it uses the dac in the Kindle and feeds out analog.

pindrop, If I lived in the USA I would look at a Kindle,  but I live in the 51st state of Canada, and a lot of Kindle features do not work here, Amazon Prime  is a $100.00 shipping service,  no music or video service.

Wayne 

Fully understand that, I called them this morning to see about digital out and they said it can go in via the usb, like when adding songs from your computer but not out on the Fire model. The newest version, the Fire HDX, will do it through the HDMI port. They really are good cheap high resolution units that can do most anything you want but not in Canada.

I own 2 Nexus 7's and have owned several Nexus phones and have had almost no issues.  The 2 issues I had were hardware related, one was a headphone jack the other was the device died.  Both were covered under warranty quickly.

Just my .02 
  • Thank You 2

I'm not sure how the new iPads are but I have an iPad 3 that is old and still going strong. Battery life is still excellent. My only issue between it and my Android is Apple has no back button. One button takes you back to the main screen. Android's have a back button. Outside of that I prefer the iPad.

My experience with tablets is limited to a Kindle Fire and an iPad Air. I don’t use a smart phone for much more than texting and phone calls and an occasional email,  mostly work related (the company provides the phone)

My wife has a Kindle Fire 7” screen. She had a version 2 for, I dunno, 5 or 6 years. She uses it for web surfing and reading free books through Amazon, and controlling our Sonos system. It was being problematic a few months ago, so we got her a new, version 7, for around 50 bucks. I haven’t explored other uses with it because these tired eyes prefer a larger screen. 

I have an iPad Air i’ve had for a few years with an Otter Box cover. The company I work for got these so we could document services on the fly. The mobile app wasn’t very good, so they abandoned the idea and allowed us to purchase the iPad with Otter Box for $200. I use it for web surfing and controlling our Sonos system. And  of course I can stream music via Pandora or Deezer, which I have subscriptions to.

I downloaded an app called FileBrowser (free) which lets me view .pdf files, Word docs and Excel spreadsheets that are stored on our NAS drive. I have no need for resident storage because of this. 

And with the Otter Box, it’s used with greasy hands working on cars, gets covered with sawdust when I’m doing woodworking, gets used as a coaster for my morning joe, etc. with no ill effects.

One other feature an iPad has (don’t know about others) is the ability to be a “remote control” for desktop or laptop computers, Apple or PC. 

I doubt i would would have bought any tablet, but at $200 I couldn’t pass it up.

In my experience, having one has proven to be very handy.