kve777

SoundStream DA-2 RoadShow

I'm letting Loner-T borrow one of my SoundStream DA-2 power amps(I think I have 8). Circa 1993. The last amp SoundStream built for home use. I talked with the designer, he claims it's a 1200 watt peak mono block, but to get THX certification they could only claim 1000 peak watts. Basically 200WPC at 8 ohms, it's a real beast. Two, in mono, are amazing. As long as your speakers don't go too far below 4 ohms. It looks a lot like a car amp, doesn't it? No big transformer. Lots of inductors. Quite colorful. Dead quiet background. Very musical. High damping factor, for nice, tight bass. only 1U high. They do get warm. 

Specifications

Power output: 200 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo), 700W into 8Ω (mono)

Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.1%

Damping factor: 500

Gain: 28.28 dB

Input sensitivity: 1.414V

Signal to noise ratio: 110dB

Speaker load impedance: 2Ω (minimum)

Dimensions: 45 x 438 x 381mm

Weight: 5kg

Here's a shot of the inside:
20150621151433399.jpg 
So who might be interested in listening? You must pay the shipping forward. East coast first, then either Chicagoland or Texas with West Coast last. I'll make a route that makes financial sense for low shipping cost. 
  • Thank You 3

I haven't had any trouble with them,  I ran Polk RTA-15tl's pretty hard once in a while. Mono is the tricky bit. In stereo, they are fine. Good to go with your KEF. You're not going to run it in mono.

• Thank You 1

DA-1 and DA-2 are completely different. A working DA-1 is very hard to find. I sold off a few of my DA-2's, blew one up at CF17. Might have one left. DA-1's are in deep storage.

2 hours ago, kve777 said:

DA-1 and DA-2 are completely different. A working DA-1 is very hard to find. I sold off a few of my DA-2's, blew one up at CF17. Might have one left. DA-1's are in deep storage.

i know that they are different. I am a longtime Soundstream  fan f rom car audio days.  I have seen a couple DA1 pop up but never have the funds at the time. 

how much different does the 1  sound vs the 2 ?    when you say you talked to the engineer did you talk to Mr. Stewart or someone at Krell?

I have spoken/exchanged emails with Wade Stewart for the last two+ years. Health-wise he is not doing too well. Always very nice to talk to. @wrf has the DA1 that Wade was trying to fix. If you need his contact information PM me. 

If you have more than one DA-2 (the rackmount ones), let me know what you'd want for them.... I might be interested in snagging them for a pair of subs I want to build... they match up quite well either to run as a bridged 8 ohm, or dual 4 ohm loads...

4 hours ago, loner_t said:

I have spoken/exchanged emails with Wade Stewart for the last two+ years. Health-wise he is not doing too well. Always very nice to talk to. @wrf has the DA1 that Wade was trying to fix. If you need his contact information PM me. 

I had talked to Wade long time back, well more than 4yrs ago.  he was taking all the old SS car amps and repairing them and whatnot.   Had some issues for some and it turned into a sour deal and stained his rep.  Not that it matters to me.  his stuff was good and id like to run them in the future.    I knew about his health as that was apparently part of the issue.  he had peoples amps but wasnt repairning them.   I dont need his info I was just curious if you had spoken to him.

I am aware of a few out there and I am thinking about it. lol.....I miss my carver amp though....

I like my TFM-42's better than either SoundStream.

Remember- We did blow up a DA-2 at CT-17 driving an AR-9, in mono. DennisMiller55 has it now, along with another, IIRC. Too burned up to fix. Flames were seen across the room... The NASA TFM-42's driving 4Ω subs were fine.

• Thank You 2

13 hours ago, kve777 said:

I like my TFM-42's better than either SoundStream.

Remember- We did blow up a DA-2 at CT-17 driving an AR-9, in mono. DennisMiller55 has it now, along with another, IIRC. Too burned up to fix. Flames were seen across the room... The NASA TFM-42's driving 4Ω subs were fine.

well is there a specific reason they blew up? or is there something much better about the tfm design?  you have made me change my mind on the SS amps..lol..

Okay. Well i guess thats why i have run pro amps for the last year.   Not because i run 4ohms bridged but because i can if i want to.   Good  pro amps are built to take abuse.   And they are cheaper. 

On 8/6/2018 at 11:57 AM, Bean said:

If you have more than one DA-2 (the rackmount ones), let me know what you'd want for them.

PM sent.